Abortion rights in the DR?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
The police can barely enforce traffic and criminal laws in the country. It’s unrealistic to think they will spend the resources to pursue and charge back street abortionists. The problem is self perpetuating. Many pregnant women with no access to legal abortion will continue to resort to life threatening desperate means to end their pregnancies. Back room abortionists will always be there to meet the demand.
Yes and there will always be other murderers. But the DR and other countries don't condone murder. I'm glad for that and hope they keep it that way.

Gadfly

Jul 7, 2016
Two things that will reduce the need for abortions:
1) Abstinence (i.e. women don't open your legs when it involves a man unless you are ready for the consequence)
2) Failing #1 have the man use a condom. (i.e. compulsory just like mask wearing with covid-19)
3) sex education in school & @ dinner table.
4) masterbate
5) pandemics etc

Reactions: AlaPlaya

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Apparently I need to clarify….. posts in this thread CANNOT be about abortion laws in other countries. NO other countries, not only USA.

Only DR.

30 day ban for offenders.

Reactions: mountainannie

KyleMackey

Bronze
Apr 20, 2015
Not gonna happen in DR kiddos
BigheartedImperfectChinesecrocodilelizard-size_restricted.gif

CaribeDigital

Sep 5, 2014
There are only a handful of countries that allow unrestricted abortion, even though some here have claimed it to be unfettered in Europe - they were wrong.
The countries are Canada, North Korea, China and certain states in the US (Alaska, Colorado, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, Oregon, Vermont an DC).
So it seems the first trimester is the most accepted norm and I would think if a law were ever passed in DR it would come with such restrictions.

This allows a woman alone, or her & mate (or paramour) to decide early. 3 months should be time to decide which path to take.
After that it seems most countries agree, at least by regulation, it is infanticide.

Are murders in DR which also takes the life of a pregnant woman's child prosecuted as double homicide ?
Yes to woman decides, but there are also other critera then 3 months. Another is the moment when fetus is able to survive on its own (without mother)

Reactions: AlaPlaya

CaribeDigital

Sep 5, 2014
The D.R. is in a very select group of countries, all of them bastions of democracy, where abortion is illegal: Nicaragua, Haiti, El Salvador...

All the above countries, including the D.R., lead all the backward Scandinavian nations, as well as Western Europe, Australia, Canada, South Korea, Japan, and Israel, and even that super-duper humongous behemoth to the south, Uruguay, on every quantifiable category, such as GDP and GNP, and in the number of Nobel Laureates, Rhodes Scholarship recipients, and in every STEM field.
Is that a coincidence that poverty and abortion bans overlap the same territories on the globe?
As Lucifer you certainly know that churches are competing with bancas de loteria as powerty generators.

• Haha
Reactions: mountainannie

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Is that a coincidence that poverty and abortion bans overlap the same territories on the globe?
As Lucifer you certainly know that churches are competing with bancas de loteria as powerty generators.
Perhaps it's just as people get richer and more educated children are less important to them. Careers and keeping up with the Jones take over. https://msmagazine.com/2021/04/07/dominican-republic-abortion-bans-decriminalize-women-die/
Research from other countries also indicates that access to basic health care, not legalized abortions, is what really helps women. For example, in 2018, Michelle Oberman, a Santa Clara University law professor, told the Atlantic that she was surprised when she began doing research on abortion in El Salvador. Abortions are illegal there, and she said she expected to find hospitals full of women dying from botched abortions, but she did not. In her research, Oberman attributed access to basic medical care to the low number of maternal abortion deaths. Access to health Care is reasonably good for even poor Dominicans.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Perhaps it's just as people get richer and more educated children are less important to them. Careers and keeping up with the Jones take over. https://msmagazine.com/2021/04/07/dominican-republic-abortion-bans-decriminalize-women-die/
Research from other countries also indicates that access to basic health care, not legalized abortions, is what really helps women. For example, in 2018, Michelle Oberman, a Santa Clara University law professor, told the Atlantic that she was surprised when she began doing research on abortion in El Salvador. Abortions are illegal there, and she said she expected to find hospitals full of women dying from botched abortions, but she did not. In her research, Oberman attributed access to basic medical care to the low number of maternal abortion deaths. Access to health Care is reasonably good for even poor Dominicans.
WOW... I would never have suspected that you were are reader of MS....

• Haha
Reactions: Ecoman1949

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
Yes -- THE BEST WAY TO GET RICHER AND MORE EDUCATED -- is to HAVE FEWER CHILDREN

so that you can actually provide for them - educate them - care for them....

There is a direct link between the rise in socio economic status and childbearing. -- https://www.un.org/en/development/desa/population/publications/pdf/popfacts/PopFacts_2019-5.pdf

Child marriage (I think that there are studies on the fact that the human brain is not fully developed until age 24)
The fact that Abdinar just banned child marriage?/ interesting -- https://remezcla.com/culture/dominican-republic-bans-child-marriage/
But UNICEF did a study on the border regions when I was there that children were sexually active starting at about 10 or 12.... YIKES!

And the #machisomo of the #Dominincans was a shock even to my friends from Colombia and Argentina...

The DR was ranked at 5th highest in the world in "femininicide" -- Which is not really EVEN a Word ..

They made great strides on that issue during the 16 years that I was there.....

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
Most women in the DR deliver via Caesarian

And those who are more wealthy just get their tubes tied after they have had enough children.

There was an ample discussion among the OB/GYN/NGO community about the FACT that some docs just did the tubal ligation when they had a woman who had had her third child and was under 21 -- like that... Seems odd to me that the Dominicans do not just let that information our to the Haitian mothers.....
Would prevent a lot of .... well... "anchor baby" stuff...https://www.ipsnews.net/2010/10/haitian-mothers-find-care-in-dominican-republic-but-future-is-bleak/

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
It also v. important to understand that
BEING A MOTHER IS A FULL TIME JOB

NOT ALL WOMEN are called to parent

Reactions: CaribeDigital

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
Two things that will reduce the need for abortions:
1) Abstinence (i.e. women don't open your legs when it involves a man unless you are ready for the consequence)
2) Failing #1 have the man use a condom. (i.e. compulsory just like mask wearing with covid-19)
For many MANY women in the DR - Sex work is the ONLY way OUT of the poverty...

"Don't Open Your Legs? Unless You are Ready for the Consequences????""

"HAVE the man use a condom?"

I wonder WHERE you are living.. i.e. what planet?

Condoms are only 85% effective in preventing conception.

I do not know if the "Morning After Pill" is available in the DR? either over or under the counter...

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
"Lots of solutions?"

Once a woman is pregnant?
Short of sterilization?
\
As in??

VASECTIOMIES!!1 YES!!!!!!
It is the woman that gets pregnant, if she wants to only have intercourse with guys that have had vasectomies that is her perrogative. You do realize most doctors will not give young guys without children vasectomies. It is reverseable...sometimes. the preventative measures are to prevent pregnancy.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
For many MANY women in the DR - Sex work is the ONLY way OUT of the poverty...

"Don't Open Your Legs? Unless You are Ready for the Consequences????""

"HAVE the man use a condom?"

I wonder WHERE you are living.. i.e. what planet?

Condoms are only 85% effective in preventing conception.

I do not know if the "Morning After Pill" is available in the DR? either over or under the counter...
The way out of poverty is education.

Status
Not open for further replies.