Abortion rights in the DR?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sol09

Jan 12, 2017
For many MANY women in the DR - Sex work is the ONLY way OUT of the poverty...

"Don't Open Your Legs? Unless You are Ready for the Consequences????""

"HAVE the man use a condom?"

I wonder WHERE you are living.. i.e. what planet?

Condoms are only 85% effective in preventing conception.

I do not know if the "Morning After Pill" is available in the DR? either over or under the counter...
Morning after pill is readily available at pharmacies here.

Reactions: mountainannie

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este

I do not know if the "Morning After Pill" is available in the DR? either over or under the counter...
mountainannie, I said reduce I didn't say eliminate so reducing unwanted pregnancy and therefore abortion by 85% by using condoms is quite acceptable. And yes, the morning after pill is readily available over the counter as was already stated and they are dirt cheap. I just called my local pharmacy in Santo Domingo and 'Evitar' cost RD$175 ~ US$ 3.18.

About this denigrating statement, "For many MANY women in the DR - Sex work is the ONLY way OUT of the poverty...", wow just wow. Really? This is what you really believe? Have a little faith in women. How does education and hard work sound to you? There is always a choice to be made and I see many, many women here in DR making the right choice everyday, day in and day out without having to whore themselves to feed their family.

With all the contraceptives available today abortion should be extremely rare. Here is a list:
Finally for those that absolutely don't ever want to be parents there is:
  • Female sterilization (tubal ligation)
  • Male sterilization (vasectomy)
Source: NHS.UK

Abortion should really be the very last thing a on a woman's mind.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

Birth control shot and implants are both available and used.

Reactions: chico bill

DR fan1990

Sep 22, 2020
Canada
I'm shocked at the high prevalence of teen pregnancies in this country.. its literally cultural.
Generations of mothers and daughters getting pregnant either as minors or in their late teens.

if they are going to keep the ban on abortion forever then they better start teaching sex ed in high schools and provide free condoms.

Reactions: AlaPlaya

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I'm shocked at the high prevalence of teen pregnancies in this country.. its literally cultural.
Generations of mothers and daughters getting pregnant either as minors or in their late teens.

if they are going to keep the ban on abortion forever then they better start teaching sex ed in high schools and provide free condoms.
Sex education is taught in both middle school and high school. Highly sexualized society , largely adopted from the USA.

Joseph NY2STI

Mar 22, 2020
Sex education is taught in both middle school and high school. Highly sexualized society , largely adopted from the USA.
Does the sex ed include birth control ed , or is just sperm meets egg kind of thing? Do you know if parents have issues with it?

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Does the sex ed include birth control ed , or is just sperm meets egg kind of thing? Do you know if parents have issues with it?
Poor sex education contributes to the teen pregnancy crisis. While this subject is on the Dominican academic curriculum, the amount and quality of sex education students get depends mostly on the school or the teacher’s preferences. Exacerbating this issue is the fact that most parents don’t teach their children about sex so teenagers have little knowledge about the use of contraceptives. Teachers and parents need to understand that treating the topic as a taboo only increases the chances of our young people becoming parents before adulthood.

Other factors include the cultural belief that it is better to have children while younger or the perspective of pregnancy as a means for personal fulfillment, especially for women. Among girls from vulnerable backgrounds, it is common the idea that living with a partner is the only way to achieve independence and leave their family home. https://www.unicef.org/dominicanrepublic/en/node/2026 We have three teachers that teach sex education, and they all approach it a little different but they all discuss contraception....etc.

Big

Apr 24, 2019

Sex work is the only way out of poverty?? Sex work almost never does anything but solidify a woman's economic place in poverty. A new pair of shoes more Jon's and a limited shelf life. More woman made it out of poverty here by working 3 jobs and and not grabbing the first 100 from some weekend fling

Joseph NY2STI

Mar 22, 2020
Other factors include the cultural belief that it is better to have children while younger or the perspective of pregnancy as a means for personal fulfillment, especially for women. Among girls from vulnerable backgrounds, it is common the idea that living with a partner is the only way to achieve independence and leave their family home.
The cultural aspect seems to be a recurring theme. A rhetorical question, but how does one unteach that? How do you convince youngsters that having a baby is not an "accomplishment"? Is public school the place to teach morality, or is that too old-fashioned? More questions than answers it seems.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
The cultural aspect seems to be a recurring theme. A rhetorical question, but how does one unteach that? How do you convince youngsters that having a baby is not an "accomplishment"? Is public school the place to teach morality, or is that too old-fashioned? More questions than answers it seems.
Morality is taught in elementary class as part of religion. 7 primary sins....etc. Lust is one of those sins and a good teachers will hold open discussions about these sins....etc. Many teenaged girls in countries with access to free birth control, full sexual education, no poverty, good education and they still get pregnant.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

AlaPlaya

Frequent Flyer
Jan 7, 2021
Texas
Morality is taught in elementary class as part of religion. 7 primary sins....etc. Lust is one of those sins and a good teachers will hold open discussions about these sins....etc. Many teenaged girls in countries with access to free birth control, full sexual education, no poverty, good education and they still get pregnant.
Teenage pregnancy rates in countries with access to contraceptives, sex education, and good education have been falling consistently over the past 25-30 years (Source: 1 (2014), and 2 (2015)). In 2018, in the US, teenage pregnancies were down to 17.4 out of 1000. See chart below.

FT_19.08.02_TeenBirths_US-teen-birth-rate-fallen-over-time.png
(Source: https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2019/08/02/why-is-the-teen-birth-rate-falling/)

Will there always be the occasional teen pregnancy? Sure. But surely if developed countries can reduce their teenage pregnancies by increasing access to contraception and quality sex education (that isn't solely focused on abstinence), then the Dominican Republic could follow suit (if it had the will to do so). But good quality education needs to be a mixture of education in school and from parents.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Teenage pregnancy rates in countries with access to contraceptives, sex education, and good education have been falling consistently over the past 25-30 years (Source: 1 (2014), and 2 (2015)). In 2018, in the US, teenage pregnancies were down to 17.4 out of 1000. See chart below.

FT_19.08.02_TeenBirths_US-teen-birth-rate-fallen-over-time.png
(Source: https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2019/08/02/why-is-the-teen-birth-rate-falling/)

Will there always be the occasional teen pregnancy? Sure. But surely if developed countries can reduce their teenage pregnancies by increasing access to contraception and quality sex education (that isn't solely focused on abstinence), then the Dominican Republic could follow suit (if it had the will to do so). But good quality education needs to be a mixture of education in school and from parents.
I believe the rate will have gone up , at least here in the DR with Pandemic pregnancies.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016

God you start a thread on the DR forum, act like some sort of expert on female behavior, yet you don't live here, have not been here for years nor do you know about what's available for women to terminate conception. Are you also past the age of child bearing?
You remind me of televangelist trying to beam himself into people's lives. Or a sh*t-disturber looking for a place to 'blog'

And interesting question for this thread. (not this poster)
Do women with a historectomy still qualify for the liberal left who say only those with wombs get a say in abortion?

CaribeDigital

Sep 5, 2014
Sex work is the only way out of poverty?? Sex work almost never does anything but solidify a woman's economic place in poverty. A new pair of shoes more Jon's and a limited shelf life. More woman made it out of poverty here by working 3 jobs and and not grabbing the first 100 from some weekend fling
You are right. In some limited cases sex could be a way out ot poverty if a woman is very attractive, very selective and knows to turn the advanture into marriage.
For the great majority the education is the way to go. But churches are very active in the poor sectors of the society robbing the disadvantaged from the only asset they have: time.

Reactions: aarhus

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
You are right. In some limited cases sex could be a way out ot poverty if a woman is very attractive, very selective and knows to turn the advanture into marriage.
For the great majority the education is the way to go. But churches are very active in the poor sectors of the society robbing the disadvantaged from the only asset they have: time.
Please keep your bigoted comments to yourself. They're not for here. I'm sure you can find another forum to spew them on.

Status
Not open for further replies.