ADD: Anti-Dominicano Days

Naufrago

Sep 1, 2004
Just a thought. Would any of our Dominican posters who are currently living in the US, care to admit if they occassionally feel they're being mistreated because of their ethnicity? My wife constantly complained of that fact when we lived in NY. I can honestly attest that it was not her imagination at work. She vented quite often and was well within her rights to do so. We eventually did leave that country and the way outsiders are treated there had alot to do with it. If people here need to vent and complain once in a while can't we let them, and maybe validate their complaints instead of telling them to go home or shut up?

project9

May 29, 2004
TEHAMA said:
I'm not sure if its just me, but I wanted to know if anyone else experiences what I am calling ADD (Anti-Dominicano Days). It seems like every week- week and half, I go through this. They really make me sick and I don't want to see or even hear a Dominican. I know it might sound harsh, but I get tired and fed-up with all the mind games, trickery, and straight-out BS which they obviously never seem to weary from.

During these days about the only Dominican I feel I could tolerate is a cashier. I put my purchases on the counter she/he rings them up, the price is there, I pay and go. Anything beyond that is subject to fraud, lies and deceit.

People say,"oh they're poor and desperate." while that may be true I tend to simply think of them as greedy. I tip my Security every week. Rather generously I think, considering many herein the building do not. This has paid off for me through small unrequested favors. But why would they jeopardize their jobs to do a cat and mouse game with the gas tanks for a couple of hundred more pesos? I admit. I would not make a fuss over couple of hundred pesos (and I think they know this), well my neighbor didn't take it as lightly.

Its 5 AM... and yes I am up venting over my ADD and pondering what new piece of Dominican Bullshtt will this new day bring.
TEHAMA

Pack your bags, return to your homeland and your ADD problem is solved.

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
Naufrago...I'm curious as to how your wife was mistreated in New York. Who is considered an outsider in New York? I agree...they should be able to vent.

Naufrago said:
Just a thought. Would any of our Dominican posters who are currently living in the US, care to admit if they occassionally feel they're being mistreated because of their ethnicity? My wife constantly complained of that fact when we lived in NY. I can honestly attest that it was not her imagination at work. She vented quite often and was well within her rights to do so. We eventually did leave that country and the way outsiders are treated there had alot to do with it. If people here need to vent and complain once in a while can't we let them, and maybe validate their complaints instead of telling them to go home or shut up?

GilbertArenas

Mar 15, 2004
Naufrago said:

This is actually very true. My wife and I are constantly trying to get away from "White Generic America".

We absolutely love escaping from Washington DC to Washington Heights (Little DR in NYC) 3 or 4 times a year to get away from the super white culture which is found in the supposed "nicer" areas of the United States (this case being just outside of Washington DC).

I can't tell you the amount of times people have asked me if I was working for the gardening company, trash company, UPS etc etc when I am dressed casually on the weekends (jeans/t shirt) and near one of these establishments. I also get people asking me if I'm looking for a job when I go to restaurants/stores etc. It is always by the white people. I used to explain no, I was there shopping just like them or searching for services, and I was in fact a computer programmer. I stopped doing this because I was then questioned about where I was from, then congratulated like I was some sort of intelligent dog.

Let's not forget the racial slurs 2 or 3 times a month I'm accosted with (You f-ing "spic" "taco eater" etc). It's also predictable that most white people basically run away when they see me after dark and no one else is around. Also pretty much every white native in the US thinks Dominicans eat tacos and burritos because we speak spanish. Seriously, I think the vast majority of white suburban America treats the rest of the world like it's the Epcot Center. If you aren't white and live in the suburbs you are just one of those "freaky foreigners" on the CNN TV.

In general I find Americans to be just as fake, if not MORE fake than the common Dominican. However, I do enjoy the economy.........but I am also smart enough to realize 75% of the native americans think I'm a "dirty foreigner".

So for all of you with those "ADD" days in the DR, I have Anti White American days here too. I think in many ways they are pathetically ignorant of any culture outside of their little street in Anytown USA. Major difference between them and the poor Dominicans you are lamenting so is they have a great education, good home and really no excuse to be so ignorant of other cultures.

So remember many of you moved to DR for supposed cheap living, island paradise blah blah. Then you woke up to reality. I moved to the US to get a better education, and save up enough money to move back to the DR and live comfortably for the rest of my life.

I intend to leave the US as soon as I've made enough money to do so........and I won't miss it for a second.

Last edited:

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
Gilbert...really sorry to hear that. America does have a lot of race problems and it is true that lots of white educated Americans are very uneducated when it comes to anything outside of the USA. I think I have a better understanding now. I always thought, "why don't they treat me as an equal, equal pricing, equal respect, equal privileges. Perhaps they have experienced what you have in the USA or they have heard horror stories like this one. I guess we all need to try and be more understanding.

GilbertArenas said:
This is actually very true. My wife and I are constantly trying to get away from "White Generic America".

We absolutely love escaping from Washington DC to Washington Heights (Little DR in NYC) 3 or 4 times a year to get away from the super white culture which is found in the supposed "nicer" areas of the United States (this case being just outside of Washington DC).

I can't tell you the amount of times people have asked me if I was working for the gardening company, trash company, UPS etc etc when I am dressed casually on the weekends (jeans/t shirt) and near one of these establishments. I also get people asking me if I'm looking for a job when I go to restaurants/stores etc. It is always by the white people. I used to explain no, I was there shopping just like them or searching for services, and I was in fact a computer programmer. I stopped doing this because I was then questioned about where I was from, then congratulated like I was some sort of intelligent dog.

Let's not forget the racial slurs 2 or 3 times a month I'm accosted with (You f-ing "spic" "taco eater" etc). It's also predictable that most white people basically run away when they see me after dark and no one else is around. Also pretty much every white native in the US thinks Dominicans eat tacos and burritos because we speak spanish. Seriously, I think the vast majority of white suburban America treats the rest of the world like it's the Epcot Center. If you aren't white and live in the suburbs you are just one of those "freaky foreigners" on the CNN TV.

In general I find Americans to be just as fake, if not MORE fake than the common Dominican. However, I do enjoy the economy.........but I am also smart enough to realize 75% of the native americans think I'm a "dirty foreigner".

So for all of you with those "ADD" days in the DR, I have Anti White American days here too. I think in many ways they are pathetically ignorant of any culture outside of their little street in Anytown USA. Major difference between them and the poor Dominicans you are lamenting so is they have a great education, good home and really no excuse to be so ignorant of other cultures.

So remember many of you moved to DR for supposed cheap living, island paradise blah blah. Then you woke up to reality. I moved to the US to get a better education, and save up enough money to move back to the DR and live comfortably for the rest of my life.

I intend to leave the US as soon as I've made enough money to do so........and I won't miss it for a second.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Jesus Christ!!

Naufrago said:
1- Just a thought. Would any of our Dominican posters who are currently living in the US, care to admit if they occassionally feel they're being mistreated because of their ethnicity?.

2- If people here need to vent and complain once in a while can't we let them, and maybe validate their complaints instead of telling them to go home or shut up?
1- Are you kidding?. Just about EVERY dominican in the US has been subjected to some type of mistreatment. Sometimes they don't even know when they are being mistreated because of being hispanic. Buddy, in case you do not know, it's called racism and it's not only "designed" for dominicans, but for just about anybody that does not resembles a "white" american.

Once, at the place that I used to work in NYC, I had just flown from Napa, Ca, and I went straight to my job. I was with my luggage and jeans. I went to get some coffee at our cafeteria before I started teaching some out-of-towners how to fix some computer problems. A guy came out of nowhere and told me that "we need more coffee here, get me some coffee". I looked at him and just smile because I knew that I was going to get him later. Later I got dressed at my office and went to teach that class and when he saw me, I truly thought that we was going to have a heart attack!. He mistook me for a cafeteria worker and after I finished the training, not only he said, over 10 times, that he was sorry, I SENT HIM TO GET ME COFFEE!!.

2- One thing is to vent every now and then. Another thing is to vent one's frustraction against a whole country. I really do not care if people say "some dominicans" since I know that "some" dominicans are the way that the OP described but to say that ALL are the same, it's not only wrong but also stupid. If I were to complain about this country and it's people, then every single american have the right to tell me to go back to where I come from.

OP(TEHAMA), on a previous thread of yours, you mentioned that you also do not get along with your neighbors and that you were in a shouting match with them, was that also on one of your ADD days?. Just curious!.

Last edited:

GilbertArenas

Mar 15, 2004
miguel said:
1- Are you kidding?. Just about EVERY dominican in the US has been subjected to some type of mistreatment. Sometimes they don't even know when they are being mistreated because of being hispanic. Buddy, in case you do not know, it's called racism and it's not only "designed" for dominicans, but for just about anybody that does not resembles a "white" american.

Once, at the place that I used to work in NYC, I had just flown from Napa, Ca, and I went straight to my job. I was with my luggage and jeans. I went to get some coffee at our cafeteria before I started teaching some out-of-towners how to fix some computer problems. A guy came out of nowhere and told me that "we need more coffee here, get me some coffee". I looked at him and just smile because I knew that I was going to get him later. Later I got dressed at my office and went to teach that class and when he saw me, I truly thought that we was going to have a heart attack!. He mistook me for a cafeteria worker and after I finished the training, not only he said, over 10 times, that he was sorry, I SENT HIM TO GET ME COFFEE!!.

2- One thing is to vent every now and then. Another thing is to vent one's frustraction against a whole country. I really do not care if people say "some dominicans" since I know that "some" dominicans are the way that the OP described but to say that ALL are the same, it's not only wrong but also stupid. If I were to complain about this country and it's people, then every single american have the right to tell me to go back to where I come from.

OP(TEHAMA), on a previous thread of yours, you mentioned that you also do not get along with your neighbors and that you were in a shouting match with them, was that also on one of your ADD days?. Just curious!.

Well said Miguel.

I think a lot of the Americans/Canadians need to remember WHY they moved to the DR. I've always gotten the impression many moved to the North Coast/Santo Domingo etc expecting to live in a "tropical paradise", complete with maids, drivers, gardeners etc for next to nothing. Didn't you guys giggle at the possibilities at having a little maid running around, butler blah blah.

Then you got to the DR, and you didn't get your maid from the movies, but an extremely poor, uneducated, street savvy woman who doesn't really like you? Maybe you don't like being stared at like you're from outer space? Well guess what, you are probably WHITE and RICH (in comparison) in the middle of a sea of impoverished DARK uneducated Dominicans. How do you expect to be treated? If educated people in your own country can be so racist towards me here, how do you expect uneducated, hungry and extremely poor people to treat you in my country?

Do you seriously think the common Dominican is dumb enough not to realize they are extremely impoverished.........and you are in their country trying to profit (whether it be financial or physical) off their financial state?

Many of you on here complain about the price of a box of cereal, and other American oddities while your maid goes home to a dirt floor, and eats rice (and beans if they're lucky) every single night of the week. You complain about the inconsistent electricity, while they have NO electricity at all.

You say you give them more than most Dominicans give their maids, but you AREN'T Dominican. You weren't born there, you went there to profit off their misery.

I'm just trying to give you their perspective. I had long conversations with our maids when I was a kid, they aren't as dumb as you think. Many of them are extremely intelligent, but they just haven't had a formal education so their intelligence plays out in street smarts. They know you are taking advantage of them........so they do the same to you.

I don't forgive them for doing this, and it certainly isn't 100% of the country but don't forget your true purpose for being in that country.........you thought it was going to be a partial "free ride". It doesn't exist.

Feel free to stay in the DR obviously, but just realize you are a fish out of water there. It's going to be the same there for the next hundred years. Everyone is going to stay black, and your contrast combined with your wealth will make you stand out........you will ALWAYS be a target.

You seriously need to think of it this way, maybe it will help you. If you lived in the US and worked as a pool cleaner for Bill Gates, and were there EVERY day ALL day............how overwhelmed would you be by his lifestyle and money? Now, multiply that by 100 and you have what a literal "dirt poor" Dominican feels around you.

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
You guys keep using the term "WHITE". It is a race thing to you two. I never saw it that way. I always thought it was a culture thing or country thing. Interesting.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
GilbertArenas said:
The rest clipped for brevity...

Well said GilbertArenas. You seem to have a good and calm understanding of the issue from both sides of the fence. I enjoyed reading the post.

GilbertArenas

Mar 15, 2004
Snuffy said:
You guys keep using the term "WHITE". It is a race thing to you two. I never saw it that way. I always thought it was a culture thing or country thing. Interesting.

I've found African Americans and obviously other Latinos in the US to be much more approachable. I think black americans go through a lot of the stuff we do in terms of initial reaction.

Mostly I find the typical white American to be the most racist/culturally ignorant by far here in the US. Again, it's not 100% of the people obviously but not a day goes by where I'm not placed in an uncomfortable situation.

TEHAMA

Feb 3, 2004
GilbertArenas said:

Miguel, you read my mind. I can't believe you remembered that thread. Gilbert see my other thread titled,"You don't look like a..."

My bourgeois, educated, and world traveled Dominican neighbor in my building (with so much class and speaking 15 languages) one day barked at me like a ghetto dog.

No, that was not an ADD. I was actually having, and had, a good day. As I felt in some insane way I had enlightened their ignorance.
TEHAMA

On a side note- I am learning and finding these "White" Dominicans to be most interesting. I haven't fully formed an opinnion yet, but so far it appears that everyone wants to be one. I am sure this might be the topic of my next thread. :nervous:

Last edited:

lilsam

Santo Domingo Sammy
Jan 2, 2002
TEHAMA said:
I'm not sure if its just me, but I wanted to know if anyone else experiences what I am calling ADD (Anti-Dominicano Days).
Its 5 AM... and yes I am up venting over my ADD and pondering what new piece of Dominican Bullshtt will this new day bring.
TEHAMA

Tehama ,I cut your quote for brevity, I must be in phase 3 of what ARocky says for I have found when bartering or negotiating they act like they will take your last cent and after your done then you are their friends again whole diffrent attitute. Business and Social are tw diffrent sides to theaverage Dominicano. I ave never meet a warmer more caring people then my firends here. I live in a normal comunity not a gated gringo comunity.(Urb Mendoza near calle San Isidro. I wake up to my neihbbor saying Buenos Diaz Vecino. I have what I feel a very speical and Happy Life when here. Just my lil input. I know most of you on DR1 wouldnt approve of where I live but im happy here leaving with my Domincano friends and I guess Im one of those white americans yun speak of.....Lil Sam

thepiper

Jan 25, 2005
lilsam you are in the money with this assesment of Dominicans. What I dont understand is why others just cant get it.
For snuffy and others who think like him, the thing about Dominicans is that we are different in a social or bussiness setting. And that is the way of the Dominican people. Why do you need it to change ?
Here is a qoute from snuffy,
"There was this man I knew. Let me tell you how he would do business. I wanted this car from this man that lived down the road. So, I go to him and ask him...Hubert, how much do you want for that car out there. And he said....well, I'm going to leave that up to you. You know in your heart what is a fair price....and I believe you are a good person. You pay me what you want for it. I will accept anything. Let me know tomorrow. Well, I tossed and turned all night. Next day I probably paid him more than he thought he would get. Later on I found out that was his trademark."

Well snuffy that is the art of the deal. The difference is that a Dominican would have low balled the fellow just in case. And about the first story you talked about, mowing lawns a such, that is not about american culture it is about a nieghborhood of good people. Which in any barrio of the dominican republic you will find stories very similar to that.

What you must always keep in mind is that "while in rome do as the romans"
or you will have bad days after bad days. That is why I find it interesting to stop and haggle with street venders when I can. I know the going prices better than my employees who actually buy items like phone clips on street corners.

Every weekend A Haitian man comes to my home to take care of my lawn and garden and if necesary wash my car. He gets paid a fair price and if any old shoe or piece of clothing is of no use to me he gets a "tip".

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
The award winner !

thepiper said:
What you must always keep in mind is that "while in rome do as the romans"
or you will have bad days after bad days.
This is it.
This is exactly it !!!
It took me years to finally understand what that really meant.
I thought I would shine like a brilliant star in a pile of uneducated mess, only to discover that I had to adapt to the local way of doing things, or I would be banging my head against the wall for the rest of my life.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
miguel said:
He mistook me for a cafeteria worker and after I finished the training, not only he said, over 10 times, that he was sorry,
Funny when I met miguel for the first time in a santo domingo Bar, I told him to go put some more paper in the toilet and clean up the mess a customer created after vomitting in the sink. Another cusomer saw miguel in the parking lot, so he threw his car keys at him and told him to park his baby nicely, later he gave miguel 20 pesos. One weird guy squeezed miguel's butt and told him "how they both see the world with the same eyes...".
So miguel, its not so difficult to confuse you for a cafeteria worker, I bet you had confused many people through-out your life.
Have a nice day.
AZB

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
DR= heaven or hell?

There are several types of folks among us, but 2 types that interest me the most: one type trusts many folks and selects the people he/she wants to socialize with (people who share similar values in life). Type 2 is a person who doesn't trust anyone, they don't socialize with anyone, don't learn the language of the respective country and don't care about the people who live in it. They usually have no real friends and they complain about anything. In short, they find problems in anything they do, regardless of where they live. If their lives were so peaceful in their own country, then why would they come living here in the first place?.

Anyway, I am a person who likes people. I trust people, but not just any jose or maria from any ghetto of this country. I am selective in making friendship and I usually figure out folks in the first 15 mins of our conversation. This makes life alot easier in DR, if you know the right kind of folks. I don't talk to security guards, much less tip them. I don't make friends with maids or cleaning crew from some office building. I don't hangout with people who drink beers in front of colmado. I know poor folks from barrios but I certainly don't look for a life long partner from some ugly ghetto / barrio.
I try to limit my friendship to lawyers, doctors, business-men, politicians and people of other respectable backgrounds. This is the only way your life could become enjoyable and peaceful in DR if you only socialize with the right types of folks. Ex: I was sick with flu, so I went straight to hopsital. I was greeted there by the resident MD (my girlfriend), who immediately took me inside without filling out paperwork. I was subjected to blood tests, x rays and put on breating machine to clear up my chest. I was given medication and sent home with lots of bottles of liquids to drink in order to replenish my body with all the electrolyes etc. I was given more useful medicine later and was sent home with a hug and a kiss. All that cost me zero pesos. I paid nothing and was in and out of there in no time. Now if I were dating some cheap whore from a ghetto, I would have been in trouble.
I got a traffic ticket once, so what I did? I called a friend of mine in traffic police, my ticket was cancelled and my license was delivered to me in my office. Cost me nothing.
When bought my car, it costs me nothing to have the title transfered to me because my friends are lawyers and they don't charge me a penny except for the fees that have to be deposited in public offices.
When I go out at night, I often get treated by dominican friends and often don't have to pay a penny.
Weekends, I get invited to friends' houses who have swiming pools and BBQ. We spend the afternoons playing in the pool and eating all kinds of delicious meats cooked by house workers.
Now-a-days, my friend takes me out on every weekend in company's SUV with company gasoline. We drive around in luxury and don't pay for gas. Life is wonderful.
When I needed A/C for my office, I called on a patient who sold me a unit at store cost (1/2 as much as other stores). I saved 50% of the cost just by making a phone call.
I needed phones in my office and at home, I called my girlfriend from Tricom and all lines were installed in one day. Yes, one day.
I can go on and on but I have a feeling, many will not understand my point.
My point being: get to know the real dominicans, they are tons and tons all around you. they will make your life a whole lot easier than what you have right now. many foreigners don't want to know domincians, when they do get to know one, he is usually from the botton of the barrel. Many foreigners only complain but never seek real long term solutions. These folks get ripped off everyday and complain 24/7.
Now I can't complain about this country or the folks here. I love this country and dominicans make it so much easier for me to enjoy my life here.
AZB

TEHAMA

Feb 3, 2004
Huh???

AZB- I dont think you're even aware of how many wrongful, if not criminal, activities you've just mentioned. I would not describe any of them as good people. Its funny to me that the Attorney's reference was the only clean favor in your story. Now that's a real twist.

I wouldn't be surprised if one or two of them show-up on television in some big bust. I respect your opinnion. However, I think your circle of freinds are no better and possibly worst than the common street robber. They rip off everyone from a higher locale... and this is a good thing??

If what you've suggest is correct, then it only affrims my belief that this place is a den thieves.
TEHAMA

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
So the lesson here is,

make friends with people in high places so you will benefit from their corruption rather than have the corruptors take advantage of you. :nervous:

Ok I got it. When in Rome, learn how it's done and get on the receiving end. :bandit:

ghetto88

Feb 17, 2005
ghetto88

u ppl complain of ADD i feel the complete opposite to that that every day in london coz there aint ne dominicans there

Chris_NJ

Bronze
Dec 17, 2003
TEHAMA said:
AZB- I dont think you're even aware of how many wrongful, if not criminal, activities you've just mentioned. TEHAMA

What is so wrong with professionals helping out a friend in need. Wouldn't you expect the same - I know I would. If I call a family member or friend who is a lawyer for some legal advice I would not expect him to start charging for every minute that we talk. Same goes for friends in medical fields. I would be insulted if I received a bill in the mail. What is so wrong with friends bipassing bureaucratic bs so that they can help other friends.

If you are so offended by the synergy created by AZB's friendships I would think you have a highly anal retentive personality (ie the need for rules and procedures to be followed 100% of the time). I don't think that this personality type is conducive to a happy life in DR.