ADP president insists on boycotting in-person learning at public schools

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Hidalgo-no-clases-El-Caribe.jpeg

The Dominican Teachers Association (ADP) president, Eduardo Hidalgo, said on Thursday, 13 January 2022, that more than 10,000 public school teachers are infected with either Covid-19 or influenza. The union called for teachers not to return to classes until a “sincere” dialogue is held with the health and education authorities. A majority of public school teachers has adhered to the union call.

Private schools have resumed classes nationwide, not so public schools after the union boycott to the return to in-person learning. Most public schools were closed for most of 2020 and 2021 after Education Minister Roberto Furcal, a former high-ranking teacher union professional, had been against the return to in-person learning during the pandemic. The Ministry under Furcal has invested billions in remote learning programs. A recent survey showed that more than 80% of households do not...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
How do you fire a Union Leader? That is tantamount to firing the head of the mafia... Would that they could fire him,

Remote learning is a joke in any country for children.

Kids should all be back in schools, but if the teachers won't go and kids are being kept home, what can a mother do?

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
How do you fire a Union Leader? That is tantamount to firing the head of the mafia... Would that they could fire him,

Remote learning is a joke in any country for children.

Kids should all be back in schools, but if the teachers won't go and kids are being kept home, what can a mother do?

I'm assuming he is also a teacher. He is advocating staying home. He is counter-productive. Fire the fool.

Duece

Mar 11, 2004
I believe the school system has already lost a year of learning. Remote learning for children is not practical for the majority of students. The virus will be with us for a long time. Learn to adapt or fall further behind. Require students and teachers to be vaccinated and use masks. The school system is not ideal to begin with so don't fall further behind.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
In reality two years of school has been lost for most kids. Many parents here didnt even register their children resulting in 7 or 8 year olds that should be in Grade two or three that dont even know the alphabet. The blame can spread around.

Reactions: Auryn

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I believe the school system has already lost a year of learning. Remote learning for children is not practical for the majority of students. The virus will be with us for a long time. Learn to adapt or fall further behind. Require students and teachers to be vaccinated and use masks. The school system is not ideal to begin with so don't fall further behind.
Teachers and students above the age of 11 are,vaccinated.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I believe the school system has already lost a year of learning. Remote learning for children is not practical for the majority of students. The virus will be with us for a long time. Learn to adapt or fall further behind. Require students and teachers to be vaccinated and use masks. The school system is not ideal to begin with so don't fall

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
A country that has consistently fallen last on international assessments.

After this long without in class learning, add the “give each child a device” solution, numerous other fiascos, my honest opinion is that the state of public education in the Dominican Republic is comparable with the general state of Haiti.

Reactions: NanSanPedro