After more then 10 years not on this forum I am back

canuck1

Jun 22, 2009
Hello Canadian looking to retire to Sosua this summer . I have lived there before But my Dominican wife and i have spent most of the last 12 years living in Canada for our Kids education, I have not posted on here for over 10 years. Looking for info on shipping my Suv And pickup to Sosua from Toronto Also looking for a swimming pool builder for my house in Sosua . We visit 2 to 3 times every year but now i am planning to spend 4 to 6 months at a time as i am retired now . Anyways Hello to all i am glad to be back this was always the best place to learn about the DR

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Well, your wife is entitled to a big discount on bringing a car in as a returning Dominican. She’ll need to prove she hasn’t spent 6 months there in the two years prior to bringing the car, which can’t be over 5 years old. If you’re a citizen, you get same. If you apply for residency, you get a similar discount, but only in the first 6 months after receiving residency.

Reactions: Luperon

canuck1

Jun 22, 2009
Thank you I know about the discounts i am looking more for a transport company to do the shipping Have sent many carton over the years but i have never shipped cars or large items

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Well, your wife is entitled to a big discount on bringing a car in as a returning Dominican. She’ll need to prove she hasn’t spent 6 months there in the two years prior to bringing the car, which can’t be over 5 years old. If you’re a citizen, you get same. If you apply for residency, you get a similar discount, but only in the first 6 months after receiving residency.
I wonder how they calculate that six months in two years. What exact date do they use. Date shipped? Port pickup date? Date paperwork initiated? Canuck1 seems like he wants to come down for large chunks of time.

Also, I am hoping the new government eases up on these crazy car import fees. Any rumors on if the president will make it easier to import, specifically Hybrid/phev/ Electric cars?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I wonder how they calculate that six months in two years. What exact date do they use. Date shipped? Port pickup date? Date paperwork initiated? Canuck1 seems like he wants to come down for large chunks of time.
The time mentioned was about how much time his wife spent in the DR to qualify for duty free car import.
Also, I am hoping the new government eases up on these crazy car import fees. Any rumors on if the president will make it easier to import, specifically Hybrid/phev/ Electric cars?
I have no such expectations about duties going down. The government needs money. CV19 is causing problems with finances.

As for Electric Cars, only time will tell if they get preferential treatment, if they will ban ICE cars at a certain date, etc, etc...

Right now the government has the CV19 big fish to fry.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Thank you I know about the discounts i am looking more for a transport company to do the shipping Have sent many carton over the years but i have never shipped cars or large items
I think you can use Peralta Bros in Toronto for shipping the vehicles as well as household goods.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
does she have to prove she has owned the car for one year

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Hello Canadian looking to retire to Sosua this summer . I have lived there before But my Dominican wife and i have spent most of the last 12 years living in Canada for our Kids education, I have not posted on here for over 10 years. Looking for info on shipping my Suv And pickup to Sosua from Toronto Also looking for a swimming pool builder for my house in Sosua . We visit 2 to 3 times every year but now i am planning to spend 4 to 6 months at a time as i am retired now . Anyways Hello to all i am glad to be back this was always the best place to learn about the DR
Welcome back. Nothing has changed.

Reactions: TropicalPaul
Jan 9, 2004
Two types of shipping for cars:

1. Roll On/Roll off. Basically, the car(s) is driven onto the vessel and transported that way.

2. Containered. Vehicles are put into their own container and the loaded.

Second example is as you might guess more expensive.

You should put nothing in the vehicle that does not belong to the car(s). It will not be allowed. (shipping company will likely inform you of this.)

And, anything that can be easily removed that is part of the car should be shipped separately. Best example of that would be floor mats, etc.

And depending what port your shipper uses, other items could be changed out or go missing.

Caucedo should be your first port to ship to, Haina second and a very last would be PP. Way too much stuff goes missing in PP.

Good luck.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast

The date is calculated by the day it’s processed in DR. However, there is a 6 month leeway. In other words, a 2015 vehicle has to be landed in DR before June 30, 2021.

canuck1

Jun 22, 2009
Thanks for all the response, I have a Suzuki suv now in sosua but it is old. Maybe it is better to buy something already down there But all you long term residents understand that can be a chore buying a good car on the North Coast.

Also i have a perfectly good 2017 Honda Crv here in Canada that is in great shape and if i am in Sosua for 4 or 6 months at a time then i do not need it here in Toronto.
Also What is the current rules for long term visit time. I do not plan on applying for permanent residence at this time. I lived in Sosua 15 years ago for about 2 and a half years But then we all went back to Canada and now i never spent more then 3 weeks there at a time for the last 13 years

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006

Also, I am hoping the new government eases up on these crazy car import fees. Any rumors on if the president will make it easier to import, specifically Hybrid/phev/ Ele

Two types of shipping for cars:

1. Roll On/Roll off. Basically, the car(s) is driven onto the vessel and transported that way.

2. Containered. Vehicles are put into their own container and the loaded.

Second example is as you might guess more expensive.

You should put nothing in the vehicle that does not belong to the car(s). It will not be allowed. (shipping company will likely inform you of this.)

And, anything that can be easily removed that is part of the car should be shipped separately. Best example of that would be floor mats, etc.

And depending what port your shipper uses, other items could be changed out or go missing.

Caucedo should be your first port to ship to, Haina second and a very last would be PP. Way too much stuff goes missing in PP.

Good luck.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
In the case of a Dominican importing a car must they prove ownership for one year before sending it down?

Jan 9, 2004
In the case of a Dominican importing a car must they prove ownership for one year before sending it down?
Yes...............and meet the residency rule outside the country to qualify. Proof of ownership can be a copy of the registration(s) and/or title.

Vehicle cannot be more than 5 years and 6 months old at the time of landing at the dock. Meaning June 30th is, or could, be a very important date.

The returning Dominican exoneration is now a 1 and done rule. You used to be able to import several vehicles over time as a "returning Dominican."

Vehicle MUST remain in the name of the returning Dominican for a period of 3 years...........before it can be legally transferred/sold.................or in the alternative........the tax savings must be paid back to the government.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Reactions: zoomzx11

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Yes...............and meet the residency rule outside the country to qualify. Proof of ownership can be a copy of the registration(s) and/or title.

Vehicle cannot be more than 5 years and 6 months old at the time of landing at the dock. Meaning June 30th is, or could, be a very important date.

The returning Dominican exoneration is now a 1 and done rule. You used to be able to import several vehicles over time as a "returning Dominican."

Vehicle MUST remain in the name of the returning Dominican for a period of 3 years...........before it can be legally transferred/sold.................or in the alternative........the tax savings must be paid back to the government.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
Yes, our matricula clearly says car cannot be sold before a certain date (3 years from when we bought plates).

Reactions: zoomzx11

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros

Welcome back!

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
And on a side note.................the good news for you.............Toyota has revived the Venza.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
Yes they did! I still love the car. It has only about 45,000 miles on it and it’s a 2009. Still not broken in 🤣🤣🤣

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
And on a side note.................the good news for you.............Toyota has revived the Venza.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
Great news.. and toyota also makes cars we never see in this part of the world...they are made and sold only like in Brazil.