Aftermath of Hurricanes Irma & Maria

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
What is a Dominican aqueduct? The word to me conjures up images of raised stone structures like those in ancient Rome. Here is the word used to describe man made canals, large pipes or some other setup for moving water from a source to a treatment facility?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
it's the same as in english, i suppose? in a modern sense of the word. water delivery and distribution system, with underground pipes and overground storage plus treatment planss, canals and so on.

here is an example:

[video=youtube;HhgkEF1x-nc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhgkEF1x-nc[/video]

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Lost or gained something in the translation , I expect Buster

An aqueduct isn't what we would call it normally....

But who's normal ??? Huh?

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
Keep
Calm
and
Use Spell Check

Spell check is ok with tread. lol

Posting about other cruise lines giving help to other Caribbean Islands was kinda of a thought provoking post. Cruise ships visits these/our Island and one man'ed up. Of course it's in there best interest to get things up and running for the tourist ships that the lines depend on for $$$.

We also have a major cruise port but I've not seen anything about them at all. Perhaps they feel that they don't need to since the port may not have been damaged that much and the DR is just fine and the DR will foot the bill to clean up ASAP so that their ships/tourist will never see any real damage at all. ??

On another note? Several cruises are stuck at sea that need to dock and take on fuel and food. Do I see "our" D.R. ports and cruise lines stepping up? Naaa.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
On a positive note

Perhaps DR will be seen as a 'safer' haven in a storm than other destinations.

While other islands slide down the choice ladder, some may opt for a place where won't get blown away.
Fingers crossed for that.

I feel that way.... that my island choice was a good one , as a result of this 'non-disaster'.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I've held off about this, hoping for a happy ending, but so far it's not happened.

According to Mr. AE's cousin, who spends weekends at our house, our dogs [and those of others, from what I'm told] were acting nervous and abnormally leading up to Irma. We have a female rottie and a male viralata on our property. Mr. AE spoke to the caretaker, and told him to take the dogs and put them inside before the rains started, but he waited too long. Our rottie, who never goes far from the house, disappeared. The poor girl is about 9 years old and half blind.

Everyone knows we're looking for her, and we've offered a reward for her safe return, but so far there is silence. Someone thinks they saw her near a little bridge down the road a few miles. I'm sick about this, she must be tired and hungry and totally confused. I hate the "not knowing", and every day that passes means it's less likely she'll find her way home.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
I've held off about this, hoping for a happy ending, but so far it's not happened.

According to Mr. AE's cousin, who spends weekends at our house, our dogs [and those of others, from what I'm told] were acting nervous and abnormally leading up to Irma. We have a female rottie and a male viralata on our property. Mr. AE spoke to the caretaker, and told him to take the dogs and put them inside before the rains started, but he waited too long. Our rottie, who never goes far from the house, disappeared. The poor girl is about 9 years old and half blind.

Everyone knows we're looking for her, and we've offered a reward for her safe return, but so far there is silence. Someone thinks they saw her near a little bridge down the road a few miles. I'm sick about this, she must be tired and hungry and totally confused. I hate the "not knowing", and every day that passes means it's less likely she'll find her way home.

Damn. Wishing a very happy ending Grace........

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010

geez, AE...this saddens me. i hope that everything turns out well....

i wish you the best..

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004

Best wishes on finding your pup. I know the empty feeling of a pet that just disappears and never returns...

:(

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009

All the best, hope you find her soon.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
https://cruisefever.net/4-cruise-ports-closed-indefinitely-due-damage-caused-hurricane-irma/

St. Thomas, St. Maarten, Tortola, Key West: All four ports are closed indefinitely. Gene Sloan at USA Today is reporting that St. Thomas and St Maarten could be closed to cruise ships for weeks, and possibly for months. Norwegian Cruise Line has replaced all Eastern Caribbean itineraries until November with Western Caribbean ones and Royal Caribbean has ships that will be stopping in St. Kitts and St. Croix instead of St. Thomas and St. Maarten.

San Juan: The eye of Hurricane Irma passed 50 miles to the north of San Juan. As a result, the area received just minimal damage and the port has reopened. The shops in Old San Juan began to reopen two days after the storm.

Grand Turk: Grand Turk reopened on Tuesday September 12.

Nassau and Freeport Bahamas: The ports are operating as normal.

Half Moon Cay: Holland America Line sent out a statement saying that Half Moon Cay was not damaged and is fully operational.

Labadee, Haiti: Labadee remains open and received no damage.

Amber Cove: Amber Cove received no damage and remains open.

Private Islands: All visits to the private islands in the Bahamas are currently on schedule.

Note: Hurricane Irma did not affect any of the Western Caribbean ports including those in Mexico, Jamaica, Grand Cayman, Belize, or Roatan.

Also, all departure ports in Florida are open and this weekend, cruises are back to being 100% on schedule.

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
I don't know if flights to Miami have been on time but checked with AA for Sat flight from POP to MIA. Told that the airport will be fully functional on Sat.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
AE....
I hope the dog didn't go far.... and gets home.
Highly recognizable and you're known in the area

Chances are good.....

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
AE....
I hope the dog didn't go far.... and gets home.
Highly recognizable and you're known in the area

Chances are good.....

The problem is she never goes out of our property. When we're there Mr. AE walks her down to the beach sometimes, but she's afraid of the water so that's not very often.

Today we heard that she was seen in Miracielo, which is probably 8-10 miles from our house, halfway to San Cristobal. Coincidentally, that's where we buy all our dog food, so he called AgroVet about an hour ago and told him about Rosita. Amazingly, he actually saw her too, but didn't know she was ours. Dominicans aren't anxious to approach a stray rottie. Told him her name, that she's a sweetie, there's a reward for her return and to please pass the word. Fingers crossed.

pgolivares

Apr 9, 2010
Hurracain Irma destruction and the DR

Is or Will the DR help its neighbors now it is clear that the DR scaped basically untouched by hurracain Irma?

Cuba among other carribbean islands, unlike PR, has no rich country to help them. Here is a big opportunity for the DR, its leaders, to show we are a big brother who can help in times of need. Cuba is always there for the rest of Latin America. Are we there for them. 

Mr President, the other battered carribbean islands need us. 

This message goes out to all of Latin America countries. Colombia, Brazil, Argentina, Mexico, Panama, Chile, Ecuador, Uruguay, .... Step up ...