Air arrivals required to prove they are negative to Covid-19, or take blood test upon arrival

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Jajajaja ... My guess is over certain age they wave you thru. A woman by me in same line was also waved thru like me. She told me she was surprised also. She was 67.
Today I am 45
Happy birthday.

Trying to discover the "rules" for entry could prove frustrating. On Sunday, they are likely to change a bit by Monday.
Keep in mind this Sunday a new government takes over. Even more chance for change.

SCristo

So it goes
Aug 10, 2020
Bronx NY
Hello all. First time poster, long time reader. Been traveling from NYC to DR (wife's family is from San Cristobal) for nearly 15 years.
Just to provide some information regarding getting a PCR test. In NYC, public hospitals provide free testing, no appointment necessary, turnaround time for results is 2-3 days. In and out yesterday in 35 minutes. Going to a clinic with a 10 day wait for a test result is incredibly ludicrous.
I fly in Friday. Let's see how it goes.
To follow up, took a test Monday and received results today. 2 day turnaround. Negativo.
See you Friday 😊

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Jajajaja ... My guess is over certain age they wave you thru. A woman by me in same line was also waved thru like me. She told me she was surprised also. She was 67.
Today I am 45

Happy Birthday.
Enjoy the day/night, as you so see fit.

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
I can not imagine that the president of any country could go away with such order:
CITIZEN of such country get's entry denied because he/she is sick/contagious etc.
to take such returning citizen aside right away at the port of entry and isolate the citizen and give that citizen all necessary/possible medical assistance including quarantine, Yes, that would be the way to go with the own Citizens.
to Deny Entry to the own home country??
never ever.
where would they want to send that infected Citizen to? back to the country where they departed?
Impossible, because that country would simply DENY that Non-Citizen of theirs to enter the foreign country, so he/she could not be "sent back"to the departure country.
a country denying it's citizen entry would force it's Citizen to be in the "Neutral Zone", the tiny space which does not belong to any country.
No democratic country with a constitution would do such thing to a Citizen.

Hey Cap.. I agree that the DR doing this would be highly unlikely, but Bahamas did this to US citizens.. From what I know, they opened up for July, had many US tourists over the 4th and a huge spike in cases.. Mind you that they chose the US because the Americans were not adhering to the Bahamian COVID rules.. No mask, entering stores with no masks, social distancing.. blah blah blah.. So they decided to set an example.. Funny thing was that we had no problem entering, but we didn't come in from the states either and had a covid card.. Lot's of funny stuff Governments are doing..Nothing surprises me about covid anymore..
bahamas covid.PNG

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Hey Cap.. I agree that the DR doing this would be highly unlikely, but Bahamas did this to US citizens.. From what I know, they opened up for July, had many US tourists over the 4th and a huge spike in cases.. Mind you that they chose the US because the Americans were not adhering to the Bahamian COVID rules.. No mask, entering stores with no masks, social distancing.. blah blah blah.. So they decided to set an example.. Funny thing was that we had no problem entering, but we didn't come in from the states either and had a covid card.. Lot's of funny stuff Governments are doing..Nothing surprises me about covid anymore..
View attachment 3137
yeah buddy.
my partner just spend 30 days on 3 boats together at the Bahamas, 30 days total including traveling from the US.
they been there when the Bahaman authorities closed for US Citizens, my buddy and most of crews and passenegrs on the boats are US Citizens
they been allowed to stay and travel for weeks Island to Island within the Bahamas, but been made clear that once they leave their territory, there would not be a return entry.
the problem was, that Isaias was approaching and they had to ride Bahaas-Turks-PuertoPlata-Cap Cana, due the necessary fueling plan for the boats.
teh Sea at that time was very rough, twice did they leave one port and came back an hour later, as it was too rough to proceed.they could not take such risk for the hop to the Turks, as they wouldn't have had a way to return back in case of messy Sea.
so they spend there extra days and once Isaias was clear to mess our local DR waters soon, theychanged and took arough and long run straight to Puerto Plata for fueling and then to Cap Cana, arriving just the day before the storm passed through here.
the covid sum of the Bahama ride been one boat all 6 passengers positive, 1 boat 2 passengers positive and one boat the captain positive.
only 2 showed severe symptoms, the otehr positives been on some fever and some muscle pains, but nothing mayor.
the positove tests came up once they arrived in PR!!!! 2 days after Isaias,
they stil tested negative on the required PCR tests in Cap Cana when heading to PR.
on arrival in PR they only did testing because the one captain showed the heavy symptoms, so all went to my partners appartment straight and called for the tests, which been done at home the same day and showed the number of positives.
as they had not been together in Cap Cana and did not spend any time in port in Puerto Plata, they only can have caught it while still on the Bahamas, where the families and crews of the boats of course mingled together in the ports all the time. all passenegrs been family of the owner.

Reactions: jstarebel

Tarheel

Dec 19, 2005
The Bahamas are not part of the US. A different country. If I were them I wouldn't let US citizens into my country. Especially after the way the US treated them after the hurricane.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
The Bahamas are not part of the US. A different country. If I were them I wouldn't let US citizens into my country. Especially after the way the US treated them after the hurricane.
you also have to see that US Tourists are almost All they have to run their tourism business.
americans fill teh Bahamas all teh time, specially weekends and full power for us holidays/weekends.
so they opened erly July to keep the July 4th business, but sadly that calculation went down the drain, as those celebrations brought them the virus in big packages

SCristo

So it goes
Aug 10, 2020
Bronx NY
Welcome to RD, where hopefully your night on the town of Bachata and Merengue doesn't turn out to be the Wuhan Waltz or the Shanghai Salsa!
With curfew I don't think night on the town is in the cards. As it is I'm more of a day tripper anyhow. Beach, fried fish, tostones, a few cold ones to start.
Coming from what was the capital of covid I've learned to waltz around the virus!
Thank you for the welcome.

Reactions: Africaida

Tarheel

Dec 19, 2005
you also have to see that US Tourists are almost All they have to run their tourism business.
americans fill teh Bahamas all teh time, specially weekends and full power for us holidays/weekends.
so they opened erly July to keep the July 4th business, but sadly that calculation went down the drain, as those celebrations brought them the virus in big packages
You are correct Mike as usual. I was just commenting on your point about a government refusing citizens entry. Rebel was inferring that the Bahamas were part of the US. That's the way I read it.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
You are correct Mike as usual. I was just commenting on your point about a government refusing citizens entry. Rebel was inferring that the Bahamas were part of the US. That's the way I read it.
agreed.
but Rebel is a sailor, i am sure he been in the bahamas and knows they are a own country with own currency etc.

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
yeah buddy.
my partner just spend 30 days on 3 boats together at the Bahamas, 30 days total including traveling from the US.
they been there when the Bahaman authorities closed for US Citizens, my buddy and most of crews and passenegrs on the boats are US Citizens
they been allowed to stay and travel for weeks Island to Island within the Bahamas, but been made clear that once they leave their territory, there would not be a return entry.
the problem was, that Isaias was approaching and they had to ride Bahaas-Turks-PuertoPlata-Cap Cana, due the necessary fueling plan for the boats.
teh Sea at that time was very rough, twice did they leave one port and came back an hour later, as it was too rough to proceed.they could not take such risk for the hop to the Turks, as they wouldn't have had a way to return back in case of messy Sea.
so they spend there extra days and once Isaias was clear to mess our local DR waters soon, theychanged and took arough and long run straight to Puerto Plata for fueling and then to Cap Cana, arriving just the day before the storm passed through here.
the covid sum of the Bahama ride been one boat all 6 passengers positive, 1 boat 2 passengers positive and one boat the captain positive.
only 2 showed severe symptoms, the otehr positives been on some fever and some muscle pains, but nothing mayor.
the positove tests came up once they arrived in PR!!!! 2 days after Isaias,
they stil tested negative on the required PCR tests in Cap Cana when heading to PR.
on arrival in PR they only did testing because the one captain showed the heavy symptoms, so all went to my partners appartment straight and called for the tests, which been done at home the same day and showed the number of positives.
as they had not been together in Cap Cana and did not spend any time in port in Puerto Plata, they only can have caught it while still on the Bahamas, where the families and crews of the boats of course mingled together in the ports all the time. all passenegrs been family of the owner.

Great adventure story Cap. Sorry the captain and crew caught the junk.. Stink pots and fuel stops.. hahaha.. Gotta love wind power. Thanks for sharing this story. Freeport and Nassau have the most cases. Just finished projects there and that's how I knew about this. Luckily Abacos, Chub Cay, Long Island and Bimini were where I was at. Lucky enough to have stayed COVID free so far. We had our own crew for the water plant projects so very little contact with locals..

Stay safe Mike..

• Love
Reactions: MikeFisher

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013

Believe it or not, We had this work so they could do it again for Labor Day..

Reactions: MikeFisher

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Since you cannot reliably and practically test arriving passengers after they land in the country it is best to keep the tourists confined to their resorts and not aimlessly commingling with the population. . Those bonafide tourists who aren't staying at resorts should probably not be allowed to come until both the origin country and the DR get a grip on infection rates and have the means to track, trace, and treat those who develop the disease while here.

nickdr

May 30, 2014
"Air arrivals required to prove they are negative to Covid-19, or take blood test upon arrival"

Am I missing something? I thought the only blood tests they have do not show if you have covid; rather the antibodies, which prove that you had it and now have some level of resistance to it (which is a good thing)? The only tests I know of are swabs.

Has anybody flown into the DR recently and had to take a test?