Air bnb forget the hotels

bonao99

Jun 11, 2005
The biggest problem with Airbnb that I have found is the owners don't keep the calendar up to date.  You can plan your trip, flight, etc. then try to book and find out the place is rented already.  Other than that, it beats the heck out of the prices the so- called property management companies want in Punta Cana, for example, for apartments.  Worth a little more work with Airbnb to get around those people.

The calendar is automatically managed by the site/booking. If you accept and reserved a stay and entry will be added to the
calendar and those days will be unavailable for booking.
I host an apt unit and the only time I have go in the calendar is if I want to block/reserve days for something.

Last edited:

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
The calendar is automatically managed by the site/booking. If you accept and reserved a stay and entry will be added to the
calendar and those days will be unavailable for booking.
I host an apt unit and the only time I have go in the calendar is I want to block/reserve days for something.

That works when you're only listed on AirBnB. I've rented places that were also listed on Booking and VRBO, and the calendars don't make it easy to collaborate.

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
Air Bnb I have seen some of the apartments they are really nice and cheaper in SDQ . whats makes air bnb good is 18% tax 10 % tips you don't have to pay. this is what the Jaragua hotel charges after the $140 pr day.

The only reason that you have to pay the service charge is because you have staff providing you with a service, and they get all of this money split between them (and trust me, in hotels this does happen). And I'm not sure how long AirBnB owners will be able to get away with not paying ITBIS. Certainly in Santo Domingo the DGII is getting way hotter on forcing businesses to charge ITBIS, it's only a matter of time before AirBnB places have to pay.

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
That works when you're only listed on AirBnB. I've rented places that were also listed on Booking and VRBO, and the calendars don't make it easy to collaborate.

The solution to this problem is to use a channel management system like MyAllocator which, for $25 a month, makes sure that your availability is kept up to date on all channels including AirBnB, HomeAway, FlipKey, Booking.com, Expedia and many others. If you're going to work with people like Booking.com and Expedia, it's essential to have this type of thing in place as they go ballistic if you take a booking and have to bounce it to another hotel.

Apr 7, 2014
The biggest problem with Airbnb that I have found is the owners don't keep the calendar up to date.  You can plan your trip, flight, etc. then try to book and find out the place is rented already.  Other than that, it beats the heck out of the prices the so- called property management companies want in Punta Cana, for example, for apartments.  Worth a little more work with Airbnb to get around those people.
True.
You need prop. Owners in the US, NY or Miami who respond frequently and quickly. You make the reservation they respond Si or No within the hour. Dominicans will sit on a reservation for a long time and passive aggressively let the reservation expire instead of rejecting it.

A cool thing of AirBNB is that they set the discount for long term units. Aint no way no 2br apartment in Santiago is $1500/month. That is market price only in someone's mind. I suspect many Domestic owners oft come up short because they dont have the deluxe items many foreigners want when they travel.

I shun Dominican RE Mgt companies because most often they are just giving you a snow job about features and amenities