Air Conditioner repairer...problems recommended person

Status
Not open for further replies.

laurajane

Bronze
May 23, 2005
www.thecircusofdreams.com
Am having the same problem...

Was working fine until recently and now it is expelling huge amounts of water so i am having to place a bucket underneath it and the air is not cold. Obviously i know it is important to keep the filter clean, which i do at least one a week, but it seems the problem is bigger than that.

I need some that can take a look at it in Higuey?..Rubio????

Machines and D.I.Y isnt Mr Lj speciality, nor mine!!!!! ;)

tish

Mar 10, 2007
Am having the same problem...

Was working fine until recently and now it is expelling huge amounts of water so i am having to place a bucket underneath it and the air is not cold. Obviously i know it is important to keep the filter clean, which i do at least one a week, but it seems the problem is bigger than that.

I need some that can take a look at it in Higuey?..Rubio????

Machines and D.I.Y isnt Mr Lj speciality, nor mine!!!!! ;)

You can call Jose too. He's still in the middle of fixing my electrics. He should be finished today. Apparently, our current was running low, so he's replacing all the cables.

tish

Mar 10, 2007
Its bang in the middle between La Romana and Punta Cana, so a loooooooong way from Santiago.

Thanks though ;)

oh dear. it is a long way. well, i'm sure you'll find someone to fix it for you. best of luck anyway.

tish

tish

Mar 10, 2007
Hi Lucille,

Jose is at my house now. Still fixing the electrics. It's turned out to be quite a major job. AC is still not working.

Tish

tish

Mar 10, 2007

Hi Lucille,

I'm having second thoughts about Jose. He has been working on our AC since Sunday. He installed a new compressor on Monday and the AC is still blowing out warm air. He charged us 3800, including a new on/off switch plus labour charges to complete the work. He's now saying that the fan on the roof is also faulty. He's also saying that our faulty electrical cables had damaged the old compressor and that to prevent our new compressor from, also, damaging we need to pay a further 3500. This cost will include replacing our, apparently, thin cables with thicker ones, albeit secondhand.

He says that it's evident the cables need changing, as the lights in our house keep dimming and brightening whenever the automatic water pump turns on and off. Jose's not coming back now until Saturday afternoon. He says he has other jobs to do in the north.

If anyone can help, my questions are:

1. If the AC still doesn't work after the 'faulty' cables are replaced, do we still have to pay him for installing the second hand cables?

2. How can we know for sure if we need to install new cables? Installing them might stop the lights from dimming whenever the water pump is turned on, but providing that's the only problem, we can live with that.

Thanks,

Tish

Lucille

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
Hi Lucille,

I'm having second thoughts about Jose. He has been working on our AC since Sunday. He installed a new compressor on Monday and the AC is still blowing out warm air. He charged us 3800, including a new on/off switch plus labour charges to complete the work. He's now saying that the fan on the roof is also faulty. He's also saying that our faulty electrical cables had damaged the old compressor and that to prevent our new compressor from, also, damaging we need to pay a further 3500. This cost will include replacing our, apparently, thin cables with thicker ones, albeit secondhand.

He says that it's evident the cables need changing, as the lights in our house keep dimming and brightening whenever the automatic water pump turns on and off. Jose's not coming back now until Saturday afternoon. He says he has other jobs to do in the north.

If anyone can help, my questions are:

1. If the AC still doesn't work after the 'faulty' cables are replaced, do we still have to pay him for installing the second hand cables?

2. How can we know for sure if we need to install new cables? Installing them might stop the lights from dimming whenever the water pump is turned on, but providing that's the only problem, we can live with that.

Thanks,

Tish

Tish I am sorry to hear that, because he did a very good job here...
1. NO.....
2. I am going to call him tomorrow and ask him what is going on? ok....

tish

Mar 10, 2007
Tish I am sorry to hear that, because he did a very good job here...
1. NO.....
2. I am going to call him tomorrow and ask him what is going on? ok....

Hi Lucille,

Thanks for responding. I called him shortly after my post. I should have sent you a pm, since you kindly recommended him. I wasn't feeling good at all with the work he'd done. Anyway, I called him and I feel alot better now. It seems there was alot of misunderstanding, mainly, because of my poor spanish skills. There are some other personal issues that were made clear to him too. I think we understand each other now.

Basically, Jose:

1. Will not charge for the new cables plus labour, if the ac is still not working.
2. Wants me to be perfectly happy before handing over any cash.
3. Wants to do a thorough and good job, so that we don't have any further problems with flickering lights, AC damage or surging.

Please feel free to still call Jose, as it will only serve to enlighten him that us expats mean business too

Tish

Last edited:

Lucille

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
Hi Lucille,

Thanks for responding. I called him shortly after my post. I should have sent you a pm, since you kindly recommended him. I wasn't feeling good at all with the work he'd done. Anyway, I called him and I feel alot better now. It seems there was alot of misunderstanding, mainly, because of my poor spanish skills. There are some other personal issues that were made clear to him too. I think we understand each other now.

Basically, Jose:

1. Will not charge for the new cables plus labour, if the ac is still not working.
2. Wants me to be perfectly happy before handing over any cash.
3. Wants to do a thorough and good job, so that we don't have any further problems with flickering lights, AC damage or surging.

Please feel free to still call Jose, as it will only serve to enlighten him that us expats mean business too

Tish

Tish; My only intention is to help you out, because I was rip off by others technicians and not even that JOSE did a very good job in my house, also the price that he charges is 3 times less than other estimates....feel free to call me or pm. if you need any translation or anything else....

havinfun99

Oct 20, 2008
wow life just passes you by if you don't pay attention. Guess I missed out an opportunity to make a few pesos.
Tish I'm sorry things did not work out for you; hopefully in the end they did. I was in DR for a few weeks but had to leave and do some actual work in Los Paises. When I'm on the island I don't get to the computer much. Let me give you a little advice although it may now be a little late.
First of all if a technician knows what he is doing he should be able to diagnose your actual problem in 30 minutes. This is true 98% of the time since he should be familiar with the most common problems occurring with a particular brand of air conditioning equipment. The exception to this is when you have an intermittent problem. An example of this may be a motor that shuts off or a wire that stops conducting voltage when it overheats.
I do not like the description of the work done by your tech but have to admit that it is difficult to criticize without knowing all of the facts. As far as damaged "cables" hurting the compressor I would have to have more information. Do you mean that the actual line voltage (wires from your main electric box) was bad? If so, this should have been noticed from the start. All a/c units have minimum wire size requirements from the manufacturer and must be adhered to or the equipment may be damaged by low voltage - a normal DR problem. As far as the motor, yes a bad motor could also cause a compressor failure but I would ask myself, was this not checked before? The bottom line here is that if your tech comes to check your ac or inversor and does not have an electrical tester, he is not a tech, just a salesman.

tish

Mar 10, 2007
Jose the electrician

Hi Lucille,

Listen we're having loads of problems with this technician you recommended me.

He never showed up with this borrowed truck the other day. How long did you say he guarantees his work for?

He's, also, taken off with our microwave. He said he'd fix it as a 'regala' for us, but this was three weeks ago.

Please could you contact him for me.

Thanks

Tish

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
there really should be a way for DR1 to blacklist local businesses that do this stuff. if they knew they'd be outed and lose business from 100's of gringos, they'd be a little less likely to play these kinds of games.

i'd sure love a database to search through on good and bad contractors.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I have no problem people making individual posts about bad workers, as long as they include the facts and what the problem is.

The problem with a formal black list, is they come knocking on my door with their lawyers. Been there, done that :)

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
how about a simple directory -- eg from the DR yellow pages, i imagine this could be purchased somewhere. This would have most local businesses in it.

Then each registered DR1 user could just vote on any entry they wanted with only thumbs up or thumbs down. That would limit the emotion and legal liability, but provide a way to track consistently good or bad businesses over time. It would be a useful resource and then businesses could advertise on it, providing revenue for DR1.

Status
Not open for further replies.