Air Conditioning in DR: Necessary? Costs?

May 29, 2006
It depends very much on the location and design of the building you're going to be living in. I had a ground floor condo with half of the back wall buried and very little direct sun, so it barely ever got above 75 degrees. Where it became a problem was if I left my windows open because the moist warm air would condense when it came inside and then there was a potential of mold. I had an AC but used it for only a couple days total. After a couple weeks, a bank or other air conditioned place seems very frigid. It's not uncommon for Dominican to crank their ACs up to "11" when they have it.

When it comes to fans, I like the floor ones that swivel. Somehow they seem more effective than having one blow on you non-stop. Keep in mind that Dominicans will bundle up in jackets if it's below 75 and rainy.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I have lived in FLA.... many moons ago, albeit.

It is REALLY HUMID there... MIA, especially.

Hard to believe, but it hardly ever hits 100F in MIA............ just once , in 1942.

The humidity in the summer is stifling - I never feel it's as humid here.
Night time can be 85 or so at midnite and THICK.

We have no A/C here, ceiling fans and open windows.

Climate of Miami - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"OK!",. I admit it!!!
I am KKKKKKKOLD!
It must be in the 60s at night now, and about 75 during the days!
The humidity is very low, and there is a nice breeze most of the time. Welcome to January, to March in the DR!
No air conditioner needed!
For NOW!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Whats the difference or benefit of a 'spit' or 'multi split' aircon. I am moving to new apt and need to decide on what type of A/C as well what the btu should be.

Data point.Main bedroom is very large

Reidy620

Bronze
Mar 30, 2008
www.casaellie.com
A/C Optimal Temperature

Hi All,
We have an A/C in each of our bedrooms and we have never found the "happy medium" - we're either too cold or too hot. What's the best temperature in degrees C, (as I'm from the UK I've a conversion chart on hand for those folks that start saying strangely high Fahrenheit numbers lol), that you have found for comfort at night in Summer. I know this is perhaps a very open question but we would like to get a ballpark temperature to at least try to keep comfortable at night. We were at out apt. in February and never used the A/C once but are due to return in June/July for three weeks and would like a bit of DR1 guidance.
Thanks to all in advance for their replies.
Tropical Regards
Ian & Ellie
anpalmisl.gif

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
We are here in July.... we use a fan at the footof the bed.

Good for the temp and keeps the bugs at bay. (no screens)

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
I have lived in Las Terrenas from the middle of Oct to the middle of May without using AC. I have a window fan to pull in the outside air and a ceiling fan to circulate the air. You will need AC probably in June and without a doubt in July, August and Sept. It is the combination of the heat and humidity that is the killer. It will probably cost you a good $100-150usd per month additional to use the AC. This is not unreasonable and probably only for 30% of the year.

LTSTeve

santiagodude

Nov 25, 2012
Speaking from experience (born and raised in Southern California), the coastal and valley areas can have very different temps. It is not unusual to see a 30 degree difference in the summer, which would make POP and STI seem cool by comparison. 70 at the beach and 100 in the Valley is commonplace.

drescape24

Bronze
Nov 2, 2011
I have a one bedroom condo with aircon only in the bedroom on the third floor. I run to ceiling fans and a small hot water heater for the bathroom and half bath. When I leave I turn off the fans and open the windows. I only use the aircon at night. My average electric bill is $50 us.

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
Whats the difference or benefit of a 'spit' or 'multi split' aircon. I am moving to new apt and need to decide on what type of A/C as well what the btu should be.

Data point.Main bedroom is very large
Unless the apartment already had window units installed split unit is the recommended or preferred AC unit for new installation. When shopping for AC units your main concern should be efficiency not price. An SEER rating of around 20 would be good, anything lower than that will cause you to waste money on your electrical bill. Try to purchase a unit that is remote controlled & programmable. The programmable option is indispensable and will save you money in the long run.

Sizing and AC is not particularly difficult but it isn't really easy either but for residential rooms a good rule of thumb here in DR is:

• 12,000 BTU 12 meter square (m2)
  • 15,000 BTU 16 m2
  • 18,000 BTU 20 m2
This is just a general rule of thumb. If you need an accurate estimate consult a professional. Expect to pay about US$1,000 or about RD$40k for a decent and efficient split AC unit.

You may find the following thread interesting:
http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/131481-electricity-cost-expectations.html

NotLurking

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
I bought two small window units made by Goldstar.. out of China. Plenty to keep my office and living room cool. I use them during the day time in the summer. Sometimes, on hot august nights I have slept in the office which had a bed. Third floor in SD. Both units are 110 Ac

the new place has electric of 220 in the bedrooms and I should probably get another unit..

What is the advantage of a 220 window unit over the 110?

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Maybe you should stop acting so ignorant and start caring! Do you not care about Earth at all? Stupidest comment I have seen on Dr1 YET!!

Sadly, he is stating the truth. After you have been here awhile you will see how little many care about the environment, pollution etc. Even though you see endless demonstrations or reports on how Leonel robbed the country for 8 years, he will run again in 4, give away some pollo, buy some votes, and bammmmm he will be back in office!!