Airfare deals

B

Bundel2014

Bigbird,Jet Blue is already dropping,and no plans to cut flights,from their own corporate offices.

B

bigbird

Bigbird,Jet Blue is already dropping,and no plans to cut flights,from their own corporate offices.

As of yet, if it gets to the point Jet Blue is sending down four flights a day half empty they will cut back on number of flights.

I would ride this out a couple months and see what happens. Too early to speculate. Peak hurricane season if very close and prices drop every year because of that.

Just too soon to guess, my thoughts things won't end up no where near as bad as some are speculating.

F

franco1111

How about posting some factual information about fares? Instead of your personal conclusion, without facts, that Jet Blue is dropping fares?

For example, I booked a flight about a month ago from the US. to PUJ. For mid-November. When I look today on the Jet Blue site, the fare is exactly the same price on that day as it was that one month ago. This does not support the conclusion that Jet Blue is dropping fares.

Granted, this is just one fare, one day. Do you have other facts? Maybe I misunderstand what you mean when you say "dropping."

J

jd426

How about posting some factual information about fares? Instead of your personal conclusion, without facts, that Jet Blue is dropping fares?

For example, I booked a flight about a month ago from the US. to PUJ. For mid-November. When I look today on the Jet Blue site, the fare is exactly the same price on that day as it was that one month ago. This does not support the conclusion that Jet Blue is dropping fares.

Granted, this is just one fare, one day. Do you have other facts? Maybe I misunderstand what you mean when you say "dropping."

Not sure where you are flying from, but I NEVER ever buy tickets that far in advance ...
The Strike zone used to be 3-6 weeks out, now its around 2 weeks ... I have even chanced it to 3 days before, and never got screwed on the price.
BUT, then my dates are somewhat Flexible, and I will NOT buy if the fares jump drastically ..

So you are basing your observations on your experience only.. and I doubt you are checking prices AFTER you already bought your Tickets.

If they have Empty seats a week out, I guarantee you they will drop fares ..

They are slick about it though .. for example I bought a ticket for like $245 i think it was 8 days out , .. to STI .. that sale lasted all of about 4 hours .
they only needed to DUMP probably a dozen seats .. ( and YES that is a ROUND trip Ticket)

If you are shrewd about how you buy and if you are on your computer anyway for business.. keep kayak window open , you might be surprised what you may find ...

"Dropping price" does not mean WIDE OPEN drop for everyone to see , for days on end .. its a very short Window .

J

jd426

@jd426 what city are you flying to la rep dom from?

JFK To STI

and I guarantee you I can find a ticket for end of THIS month for around $345 or less
Right now they are all over $400 ( correction over $500, and no way i am paying that )
Tonight going into TUESDAY Early AM , is traditionally a good time to buy
2nd best day is SUNDAY evening .

B

bigbird

JFK To STI

and I guarantee you I can find a ticket for end of THIS month for around $345 or less
Right now they are all over $400 ( correction over $500, and no way i am paying that )
Tonight going into TUESDAY Early AM , is traditionally a good time to buy
2nd best day is SUNDAY evening .

I fly EWR (Newark, NJ) to SDQ and from now till mid August you won't find anything under $500 and the $500 and small change is Economy with no frills. I certainly have not seen any price drop with United out of EWR but that is the only airline and route I will fly.

B

bigbird

ooops, I think we are starting to stray off topic. maybe a separate thread on airline prices as a result of the most recent bad publicity. this way if someone does indeed find a great deal they can post it............. si?

J

jd426

I fly EWR (Newark, NJ) to SDQ and from now till mid August you won't find anything under $500 and the $500 and small change is Economy with no frills. I certainly have not seen any price drop with United out of EWR but that is the only airline and route I will fly.

I will PM you when I see something, and save the Screenshot ..

P

Polar Bear

Reading (and comprehension) is fundamental ;)

Not sure where you are flying from, but I NEVER ever buy tickets that far in advance ...
The Strike zone used to be 3-6 weeks out, now its around 2 weeks ... I have even chanced it to 3 days before, and never got screwed on the price.
BUT, then my dates are somewhat Flexible, and I will NOT buy if the fares jump drastically ..

So you are basing your observations on your experience only.. and I doubt you are checking prices AFTER you already bought your Tickets.

They are slick about it though .. for example I bought a ticket for like $245 i think it was 8 days out , .. to STI .. that sale lasted all of about 4 hours .
they only needed to DUMP probably a dozen seats .. ( and YES that is a ROUND trip Ticket)

If you are shrewd about how you buy and if you are on your computer anyway for business.. keep kayak window open , you might be surprised what you may find ...

"Dropping price" does not mean WIDE OPEN drop for everyone to see , for days on end .. its a very short Window .
:bunny:

F

franco1111

Claro. To all. Everything you say is true. For example, that November flight I booked, it was 20 percent higher a week before I booked it. Six months ahead of time that was. One week later, they dropped it and I bought it. At almost the lowest price I ever see. I have noticed that six month thing before, too. As jd says, it was not like that before, it was better to buy if you could six months ahead. Not so with JB now.

From JFK, by the way to PUJ. I come in to JFK on a connecting flight. I usually book one way because I often am not sure when I will go back from DR. lt all depends on your circumstances. I also fly these on Delta and American depending.

Yes, should be moved from this thread : ) Airline info.

K

keepcoming

I don't see any real drops myself. Actually my ticket for USA-DR-USA was higher than normal. Paid just under 1k, normally for economy it is around $750.00. Use miles to upgrade but I really did not see where prices are lower.

B

bigbird

I will PM you when I see something, and save the Screenshot ..

Appreciate it, only thing if you find a great deal post in this thread.

I know sometimes you can get good deals flying out of JFK but for me even a $200 savings compared to flying out of EWR would not be worth it. The additional time and taxi money for me to get to JFK would add up quick.

Another thing with these deals I am always cautious about is how much more for little things like checked luggage, a carry-on and personal bag, plus pre-boarding seat selection.

R

Riva_31

Appreciate it, only thing if you find a great deal post in this thread.

I know sometimes you can get good deals flying out of JFK but for me even a $200 savings compared to flying out of EWR would not be worth it. The additional time and taxi money for me to get to JFK would add up quick.

Another thing with these deals I am always cautious about is how much more for little things like checked luggage, a carry-on and personal bag, plus pre-boarding seat selection.

Yes specially when is Spirit, with Jetblue usually the fare that include the suitcase is 5 dollars cheaper at the end than the fare without suitcase when you add it the aditional price of the suitcase at the check in.

K

kcdmps

A really good airfare deal if you have good credit is to get one of those airline credit cards that comes with frequent flyers points enough for two round trips. I've been using them lately. There are no better deals that I can find.

W

william webster

I have seen HUGE refunds from JetBlue in the past with their Price Match guarantee

My AA flight later this month is now $50 less.... I have applied for a refund
We'll see

A

Africaida

My observations too, although I am lot less flexible than you and tend to travel in HIGH season.

I have had alerts that lasted less than 4 hours.

I set alerts on Kayak and googleflights and I am ready to pull my cc anytime. I don't really see any clear trend with best day to buy, but I would say weekends are almost always more expensive to buy (I have seen drops on Sunday nights though).

I flew into STI and left from SDQ for 298 on Spirit this past february, so I believe you since it was during the kids february break.

I admit, looking for fares is a kinda of a hobby, but it s work. My best win was RT to Bangkok for $350 though.

Last edited:
R

Riva_31

My observations too, although I am lot less flexible than you and tend to travel in HIGH season.

I have had alerts that lasted less than 4 hours.

I set alerts on Kayak and googleflights and I am ready to pull my cc anytime. I don't really see any clear trend with best day to buy, but I would say weekends are almost always more expensive to buy (I have seen drops on Sunday nights though).

I flew into STI and left from SDQ for 298 on Spirit this past february, so I believe you since it was during the kids february break.

I admit, looking for fares is a kinda of a hobby, but it s work. My best win was RT to Bangkok for $350 though.

Usually when you check too many times for a far price tend to go up, and sometimes you see a cheap flight and wne you pick up says price is not avilable or show you higher price.

Also you must know more ore less how much is a regular price in that route so you could know when is good to buy.

I was looking for a ticket to Lima, Perú and prices are always arround 900.00 dollars without airfare to Cuzco, and Hooper said may vary 62.00 dollars, So what I did is to make a multiple city vacations with 3 nights stop in Quito, 3 nights in Cuzco, and 3 nights in Lima then back To SDQ, final price was 1,339.00 dollars.

Last edited:
A

Africaida

Usually when you check too many times for a far price tend to go up, and sometimes you see a cheap flight and wne you pick up says price is not avilable or show you higher price.

Also you must know more ore less how much is a regular price in that route so you could know when is good to buy.

I was looking for a ticket to Lima, Perú and prices are always arround 900.00 dollars without airfare to Cuzco, and Hooper said may vary 62.00 dollars, So what I did is to make a multiple city vacations with 3 nights stop in Quito, 3 nights in Cuzco, and 3 nights in Lima then back To SDQ, final price was 1,339.00 dollars.

Agree with you, although I have seen prices not available (DELTA love doing that !!!), but I almost always manage to find another flights or combinations.

Also, I am not going to look for 150 RT to DR, so I have an idea of when I should pull the plug. Multicity are often better deals. In DR, I often piece one/way together, so I could fly in and leave from different airports and/or different airlines, whatever comes the most convenient or cheapest.