airport fines for longer stay

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
They are getting much hotter on this at POP. The last time I went back to the UK a guy stepped out of nowhere as soon as I went through the entrance "how long have you been on the island sir?" he asked. I do have my residency otherwise 'mega dosh'!

That annoying little man @ POP has actually been appearing between the X-ray machine and Immigration for almost two years now. His job is to sort of to redirect "overstay traffic" to the cashier. I guess this might be some sort of attempt to clean up the attempted propina to the Immigration officer vs paying the full freight at the cashier?

laurajane

Bronze
May 23, 2005
www.thecircusofdreams.com
It might not turn out to be an issue but......... :cheeky: what if they say you can't possibly be here because you never entered? So you can't be wanting to leave because..........you're not here. Didn't you ought to get some sort of letter from the British Embassy to cover when you lost your passport & why a new one was issued?

Well i would just show them the date of issue on my passport, so that would buy me a year. I presume they would have to charge me from that date.

Or could i just act dumb (dumber than usual) and say i entered a few months ago, dont know why my passport wasnt stamped, thats their job right?!?!?! Will have to practise my blank look and "me no speaky the spanish" :ermm:

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
Well i would just show them the date of issue on my passport, so that would buy me a year. I presume they would have to charge me from that date.

Or could i just act dumb (dumber than usual) and say i entered a few months ago, dont know why my passport wasnt stamped, thats their job right?!?!?! Will have to practise my blank look and "me no speaky the spanish" :ermm:

I think that approach may cause you some problems and even a missed flight! Why don't you just tell the truth, pay the dosh and take it on the chin! You have the taxes because you have overstayed and are not a resident.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com

Sorry I didn't make myself clear, laurajane. I wasn't thinking of the 'how much to pay' issue - that's down to you. I was thinking of all the other possible problems if you have no proof of when you arrived - you know, like being mistaken for an illegal entrant (like the Chinese guys whom a certain Senator 'facilitated') - those sorts of issues. You become an 'outside the box' case when you don't fit the norm & they can't see when you got here.