Airports to be shut down for 15 days from 10th Jan ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
If you don't get the vaccine you will be like a leper some where down the road. Exiled to a colony. Mark my words.
It’s not inconceivable to think that Government and Private Industry will refuse to hire unvaccinated applicants because of the potential health risks and associated costs. Hospitals will definitely not hire unvaccinated applicants. Your reference to becoming a social leper may be more prescient than you think. Your vaccination record will be more important than your passport. As we Catholics say,” Sweet Jesus! What a crowd he died for.”

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Similar to the aftermath of 9-11....

there will be security protocols to ensure safety.... health safety
Tests will become more available/affordable and widespread.... for entry to other countries

we will survive - in the brave new world.....

Over reaction ? Perhaps...
Necessary ? Probably....

XTraveller

Aug 21, 2010
At this point there is not even a hint of bailout flights for stranded Canadians, just more tough talk of stricter conditions. What bizarre about this is Haiti has been granted an exemption by Canadian authorities.
Ecoman would like to know more about Haiti exemptions do you have a reference or Link?

XTraveller

Aug 21, 2010
There is an AirTransat flight departing Montreal and heading to POP tomorrow. Lots of people on board. I know a couple of people on the flight. They are disregarding the Federal/Provincial stay at home recommendation. I don’t think people care one way or the other Bill. They are tired. Just want a bit of sun and sand. People working in LTC’s in Ontario are refusing Covid vaccine shots. They are fed up with government handling of the pandemic and don’t trust the vaccines.
I think most of the Canadians flying into POP are snowbirds and will be here at least until mid April. They are hoping that by that time they can return home to a better situation.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Ecoman would like to know more about Haiti exemptions do you have a reference or Link?
Should be available on the Canadian government consul website for alerts to Canadians travelling to foreign countries. CBC noted only two countries on the list so far, Haiti and St.Pierre-Miquelon. Two islands owned by France 20 kms. off NL’s South coast. The premise for the list is it’s impossible to get testing in these countries. More countries will be added to the list over the next few days. Covid PCR testing in the DR is possible so I don’t expect it to be on the exemption list. The Canadian government might be sensible enough to yield to the airlines request to allow Canadians stuck abroad another two weeks to get home with no testing. One can only hope this madness subsides with time.

Reactions: thompstr

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
I think most of the Canadians flying into POP are snowbirds and will be here at least until mid April. They are hoping that by that time they can return home to a better situation.
The couple I know are annual Snowbirds who stay for two to three months in the Puerto Plata area. They are prepared to play the waiting game and hope the testing requirement dies a bureaucratic death. Otherwise, they pay the penalty of a mandatory two week isolation in some god forsaken reactivated military barracks, eating boxed food lunches and dinners, with limited internet access. Much more than I’m prepared to do and I miss the DR dearly.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
There is an AirTransat flight departing Montreal and heading to POP tomorrow. Lots of people on board. I know a couple of people on the flight. They are disregarding the Federal/Provincial stay at home recommendation. I don’t think people care one way or the other Bill. They are tired. Just want a bit of sun and sand. People working in LTC’s in Ontario are refusing Covid vaccine shots. They are fed up with government handling of the pandemic and don’t trust the vaccines.
Was in Sosua yesterday afternoon and last night.
Bar and restaurants were packed with Canadians.
Most of whom probably arrived through POP.

Although I do believe people (especially the one's
who've never done anything to take care of their
health) should exercise some common sense when
traveling, they are no longer willing to spend their
lives sheltering in place while cowering in fear.

It's time to get on with living. I hope each and everyone
of the folks on that flight have a wonderful time down here.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015

Tests will become more available/affordable and widespread.... for entry to other countries

Necessary ? Probably....
Jimmy Buffett had the best perspective on disasters WW in his Volcano song. “Where I go I hope there’s rum. Not too worry cause the monsoon come”. Always a silver lining no matter how bad the storm. Here we simply say, The arse is right out of her”, and we hope for the best. Surprisingly enough, that usually works. 😂

XTraveller

Aug 21, 2010
The couple I know are annual Snowbirds who stay for two to three months in the Puerto Plata area. They are prepared to play the waiting game and hope the testing requirement dies a bureaucratic death. Otherwise, they pay the penalty of a mandatory two week isolation in some god forsaken reactivated military barracks, eating boxed food lunches and dinners, with limited internet access. Much more than I’m prepared to do and I miss the DR dearly.
I read in the Canadian news about people entering Canada sometime ago that did not have adequate quarantine plan and were sent to government facilities. Nice hotels with 3 meals a day and weekly cleaning all with no charge to them. Of Course government did not publicize this but it is now know the Fed's spend 37 millions. You can google this about covid expenses in Canada.

I also know snowbirds coming here that are desperate leaving Canada for the winter. They even paid extra for covid travel health insurance. It's not that much more.... and a real money grab for insurance companies. How many will get sick and need expense treatment and the airlines will change your travel plans free.... Wake up Canada these are not the people that will spread the disease or tax the healthcare system in the next few month.
The provinces should stop there bickering with the federal government and help/encourage the snowbirds to leave for the winter.
Wake up Canada and the provinces snowbirds= most over 65 years old, not overloading hospital.

To keep this DR related we all know the DR wants these snowbird.OK not as much as AI tourist and if they get sick here with international travel insurance they will have top notch's treatment.

KITTU

May 13, 2015
See this thread, i do understand why theres a lot of panic buying in US and Canada, people would rather continue to ponder over a rumor than listen to realise the situation.. :LOL: :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:. AIRPORTS will not close. This message of mine is from the director of the AIRPORT OF PC: atleast for now.Things are going to get a bit complicated until this country has the vaccines. They bought 10 million and might arrive by may. the vaccine chosen by DR AZTRAZENECA is only 70% effective and people are being given 4g Paracetamol for side effects. Govt. Has extended 'quedate en casa' and FASE until april. Today there was a meeting with the president and restaurant associations and from monday restaurants will be allowed to operate with 50% capacity. No confirmation on timings yet for weekends.

Reactions: CristoRey and johne
Feb 7, 2007

Necessary ? Probably....

There are new RT-LAMP and TMA tests, these are accepted by Spain for entry to the country along with PCR tests. They have the exact same reliability as PCR tests and take 15 to 60 minutes for a result. Also premium LumiraDX Antigen tests have basically the same reliability as PCR tests and only detect the virus 12-24 hours later than PCR tests, but have much wider window than regular antigen tests.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
I read in the Canadian news about people entering Canada sometime ago that did not have adequate quarantine plan and were sent to government facilities. Nice hotels with 3 meals a day and weekly cleaning all with no charge to them. Of Course government did not publicize this but it is now know the Fed's spend 37 millions. You can google this about covid expenses in Canada.

I also know snowbirds coming here that are desperate leaving Canada for the winter. They even paid extra for covid travel health insurance. It's not that much more.... and a real money grab for insurance companies. How many will get sick and need expense treatment and the airlines will change your travel plans free.... Wake up Canada these are not the people that will spread the disease or tax the healthcare system in the next few month.
The provinces should stop there bickering with the federal government and help/encourage the snowbirds to leave for the winter.
Wake up Canada and the provinces snowbirds= most over 65 years old, not overloading hospital.

To keep this DR related we all know the DR wants these snowbird.OK not as much as AI tourist and if they get sick here with international travel insurance they will have top notch's treatment.

During the repatriation flight phase of the pandemic last April, returning infected Canadians were place in a variety of isolation facilities. Some were commercial hotels, others were government owned such as the Nav Canada residences in Cornwall, Ontario or military quarters on bases. They ranged from very comfortable to very basic.

With the new Covid testing requirement in place, the potential for larger numbers of infected or untested returning Canadians is greater and it will fill all facilities quickly. Logistical failure is almost certain.

The original requirement of entering and proving you had a viable isolation plan in place at your final arrival point was a sensible one. The new requirement for mandatory isolation in a government run facility if you aren’t tested is too draconian. The option to isolate at home has to be reinstated. It’s just common sense. The provinces are much stricter now tracking and monitoring people in isolation. The federal Covid exposure tracking app has been debugged and is now working in new and older cell phones in all provinces.

Covid medical insurance offered by the DR government and the airlines is not necessarily a good thing. Public DR hospitals have limited ICU facilities and ventilators. Not that long ago they were turning sick people away. One major hospital in Santo Domingo was on the verge of collapse. Has this changed? Private medical facilities may be better equipped but they are also limited in number. Medivac may be the only viable way to get proper medical treatment if you get infected with Covid while vacationing in the DR. The previous government never gave a true account of the number of Covid infections and deaths in the DR and there are questions about the veracity of the information the new government is providing. I think Covid medical insurance creates a false sense of security. I certainly wouldn’t be depending on it had I chosen to return to the DR last April.

Travelling to any foreign country and trying to return to Canada is a crap shoot right now. If you can afford it and have the time (snowbirds) can hedge their bets, stay hunkered down in the DR, and hope things will get better by May. The average AI tourist can’t do that. The majority of them have jobs to go home to and can’t afford to take extra time off to isolate.

The new Canadian re-entry requirements will have a greater impact on Canada-DR tourism that a supposed two week DR airport closure. Some Canadian tourists will ignore the new requirements but a lot won’t.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Its on the government of Canada web site,Hati except
Just got the notification from the Canadian Consulate in my email. The time parameter for testing has been changed from 72 hours before arrival to 96 hours. Probably makes it easier for DR medical labs to accommodate returning Canadians.

David B

Aug 31, 2017
I went to Jumbo to buy a can of Campbell's soup for a recipe and saw there was none in Jumbo nor La Sirena a (except for Vegetarian Vegetable -- haha). Pasta, too, seems to sell out, and I was wondering if we're beginning to see shortages again or maybe I'm just paranoid. Reading these comments about Canada and seeing what's going on in the UK and the US, I can't help but think that although the DR may commit to remain open, if we continue to see a growing sh*show up North, isn't it going to reach this country sooner than later?

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
I went to Jumbo to buy a can of Campbell's soup for a recipe and saw there was none in Jumbo nor La Sirena a (except for Vegetarian Vegetable -- haha). Pasta, too, seems to sell out, and I was wondering if we're beginning to see shortages again or maybe I'm just paranoid. Reading these comments about Canada and seeing what's going on in the UK and the US, I can't help but think that although the DR may commit to remain open, if we continue to see a growing sh*show up North, isn't it going to reach this country sooner than later?
Could it be stores have not re-stocked after the Christmas period? IDK. Mountains of food moved out from the stores.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
See this thread, i do understand why theres a lot of panic buying in US and Canada, people would rather continue to ponder over a rumor than listen to realise the situation.. :LOL: :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:. AIRPORTS will not close. This message of mine is from the director of the AIRPORT OF PC: atleast for now.Things are going to get a bit complicated until this country has the vaccines. They bought 10 million and might arrive by may. the vaccine chosen by DR AZTRAZENECA is only 70% effective and people are being given 4g Paracetamol for side effects. Govt. Has extended 'quedate en casa' and FASE until april. Today there was a meeting with the president and restaurant associations and from monday restaurants will be allowed to operate with 50% capacity. No confirmation on timings yet for weekends.
I think the restaurants would be happy to get 50% capacity now that all the tourists have been scared off.

And who determines capacity ?.
Will Cuomo send his Nazi style goon-squads down here to show the PN how enforce that ?
Maybe Gavin Newsom will show us how they sat 20 people safely at a table, without masks, at The French Laundry Resturant

And can you see the PN actually doing the math and counting tables and chairs ?

All this is kindergarten politics. Let the people (bars and restaurants) go back to full time work.

Curfews don't stop viruses, vaccines and natural immunity do.
And even if they do this time, well China is working on more viruses they will unleash again sometime soon - maybe some that can not be stopped.

Status
Not open for further replies.