Al Sharpton alive and kicking at the US Embassy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 19, 2005
I just read on the other thread, that the owner of the LOFT is...BLACK...

to me that sheds a whole new light on the issue.... and makes it really more of a money issue to me than...a pure racists issue.....

Before I knew that I figured they were racist, but they can get away with it, and i seriously think nothing will be done about it AT ALL....thats the way it goes..

but if it is because the owners wants his club to be something very specific..............he has to tip toe around the race issue while living it.....

thus excuses like......the club is full...or your hair isnt the proper style allowed, or your look might cause a fight... ect ect.......

who would think in america a black club owner would ever be considered a racist AGAINST blacks???

doesnt happen much thats for sure

bob

dms3611

Bronze
Jan 14, 2002
Bobs right......you don't have a chance to get in.....

"DAKRA when was this picture of you taken???? But here is what I really look like! - -- By the way, can I get into the Club?"

hahahahahahahhahahahahaha

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Funny all the folks who don't live here, just don't get it. Maybe you all should stop trying to get it. Its way above your head. Its simple as this: if you can't dress like the people in the pictures of LOFT and if you can't try to look like them, then forget it. Montebar is always full of your kinds. Why bother going all the way to SD?
AZB

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
but if it is because the owners wants his club to be something very specific..............he has to tip toe around the race issue while living it.....

thus excuses like......the club is full...or your hair isnt the proper style allowed, or your look might cause a fight... ect ect.......

bob
The problem is this, the claim that she was not allowed in the club due to her hair holds plenty of value and is most likely true.

The only people who are quick to ignore that are those who made up their minds that this is an act of racism before they even gave the story the chance for all the information to come out to the public.

How many people in the pictures shown of LOFT have corn rows?

Please, tell me how many?

I have yet to see one head with corn rows or braids of any kind, BUT I have seen plenty of non-white people in those pictures.

Face it, this is not an act of racism, but it is an issue of class.

The problem with most Americans is that Americans have had such a unique history regarding racial problems in the U.S. that Americans don't even notice or even take into account that possibility of class based actions.

To Americans and when the person is a US defined minority (ie. Blacks, Hispanics, etc); when ever an act of exclusion occurs the first thing in the mind of an American is the race issue. Not once would an American think that its a class issue.

Socio-economic class is a topic that Americans don't remind themselves of very often, but race certainly is. Then comes the issue when Americans leave the US and go to other countries, they often forget that the social conditions that have lead to the American way of seeing things are different in that other country.

By forgetting that they often "misdiagnose" something, in this case claiming that the woman was excluded due to race when in fact plenty of "her kind" can be seen in those photos of LOFT having a good time, such American makes a fool of him/herself in the eyes of those who know the culture and country well.

So why was she prevented from entering the club?

The club owner says because of her hair style, which in itself is class based exclusion.

Look at the photos... how many people have corn rows or braids?

Do the photos lack evidence of non-white people being in the club?

Is it so hard to see that a person with corn rows would not "fit in" to that club scene?

The more we dwell into this argument the clearer it becomes that this is classism at work and not racism.

The pictures speak for themselves. Racism is not the issue here, the issue is classism, but perhaps even greater is cultural misunderstanding.

-NALs

Sep 19, 2005
So, If this guy shows up with a BABE on his arm..... can he get in? - -- He's not Black....

ugly_man.jpg

:bored:

to my new buddy DAKRA:

just be glad you are you, and not this dude...wether you get into the LOFT or not!!!!!!!!!!!

if you were staying a little longer Id take you out in Santiago and we'd go to every club we had to, till we got in.......

we might even run into the "PROFESSOR" himself in one of those clubs..haha ha

bob

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
I noticed Dominicans are very uptight about appearance and what others will think about them. I think this uprightness is the cause of this problem. For example: going out with a Dominican man means he will tell you what to wear, literally. Once I put the kind of T-shirt on like the girls on the picture and my friend sent me to get changed although we were not even going out, just sitting at the bar and not because it looked bad on me actually :ermm: Owner just cares what people will think about his club that is all.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Well My Goodness!!! Are you suggesting then Nal's that the Charge d'affaire at the US Embassy shot his mouth off without checking his facts? Was it Dakra that told us that a FULL investigation would have taken place before such a statement would be allowed to be made? How then can you make such a suggestion - that would mean that someone lied to the investigating committee ir that someone 'Fudged' the incoming information about the incident & put forward a whole set of erroneous data into the report!! Surely Mr Bullen wouldn't break protocol by making a statement without the investigations being made & reported???

Classism has always been my guess on this incident - that & cultural misunderstanding. Whether it is that or Racism is not really the issue here - the issue is DID Mr. Bullen say too much, too strongly & FAR too early??

Could he have handled it more diplomatically? ................... Absolutely
SHOULD he have handled it more diplomatically? ................ Absolutely

Should he get chatised for his handling of this incident? ...... ABSOLUTELY!
~ Grahame.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Nals will probably faint because I'm going to agree with something he said :) . Certainly there is marked classism in the DR, I'd go so far as to say it's one of the most classist societies I've ever lived in. I find you can challenge this successfully only in your own home and not in someone else's establishment. We live in an upper class Dominican neighbourhood where our neighbours in the main represent 'old' money not nouveau riche. If you don't know what 'old' money means in the DR, it means established rich families with couth & class. Over time we have come to be accepted as being similar in class although different in nationality (& it does take time here). When we have parties we do things our Dominican neighbours wouldn't dream of doing, like invite the gardener & his family. We're allowed to get away with it because they can interpret it as a quaint British custom :laugh: and thus they excuse what they deem to be our British eccentricity. But the demarcation line for quaint behaviour is the boundary of our property. If I tried imposing it on others beyond that demarcation line I would be perceived as extremely discourteous.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I'll make sure my buddy Socrates the owner of bonche.com takes more photos of dark skinned people at Loft. jejeje. Then again wouldn't that be discriminating against all the other colors in the club?

Time to close this thread, I think enough has been said and it's starting to go a little south.

Loft will be jammed this weekend thanks to all the free publicity and the owner has Mr. Bullen to thank for that! Nice job Mr. B.

I'll end up by saying, the owner of Loft or any other club has the right to deny access to whoever they want. Blacks, gooks, chinos, honkeys, niggers, crackers, spicks, slopes, rappers, fags, ho's, chopas, whoever!

Welcome to the Dominican Republic, land of the free!

Status
Not open for further replies.