Alex Zozaya: The situation is complicated; reality check for the Dominican tourism industry

scot_tosh

May 21, 2010
Santo Domingo.- Public Health Minister Rafael Sánchez Cárdenas, on Thursday said he will declare “a state of national epidemic” due to the health crisis caused by the spike in coronavirus cases detected in the country.

The official explained that it’ a “confirmatory resolution” which will include additional regulations on the mandatory use of a mask, as well as the physical distance necessary to prevent the spread of the virus throughout the national territory.

In this sense, he asked for the collaboration of the social, political, religious and economic sectors to understand that the pandemic is a reality “all over the country.”

Reactions: Andre14615

habi

Oct 17, 2015
The following is from the Ministerio de Tourismo website:

08 Jun 2020 / Noticias
DECLARACIÓN DE PRENSA

Como ha expresado el ministro de Turismo, Francisco Javier García, el MITUR, conjuntamente con la Asociación de Hoteles y Turismo de República Dominicana (ASONAHORES) y otros representantes del sector, ha venido trabajando en las medidas de seguridad y salubridad para garantizar el bienestar de los turistas, empleados y otros actores de la industria.
Asimismo, hemos elaborado junto al sector privado los protocolos de trabajo que deberán aplicarse una vez reinicien las operaciones turísticas en el país, que generan más de 350 mil empleos directos.
Producto de ese trabajo ya están listas las guías protocolares para la operación de: 1) Hoteles, 2) Restaurantes, 3) Bares, 4) Excursiones y Operación de Parques Temáticos y Ranchos, y 5) Transporte Marítimo y Empresas Acuáticas.
De igual forma, la Junta de Aviación Civil ha preparado un Proyecto de Protocolo para la Reactivación de los Servicios Aéreos en República Dominicana, para el restablecimiento del tránsito aéreo en el país.
Es importante destacar, que desde el primer momento el MITUR trabaja intensamente para garantizar que todos los participantes del sector inicien sus operaciones de forma segura y siguiendo las medidas protocolares de salubridad necesaria, en la fecha que ha designado la Comisión de Alto Nivel para la reapertura del Turismo en nuestro país.

Does somebody know where to find the mentioned Guias Protocolares? I did not find anything on the Mitur site....
Any help really appreciated! :cool:

scot_tosh

May 21, 2010
[QUOTE = "habi, post: 5535014, member: 71717"]
The following is from the Ministry of Tourism website:

08 Jun 2020 / News
PRESS STATEMENT

As the Minister of Tourism, Francisco Javier García, has expressed, MITUR, together with the Association of Hotels and Tourism of the Dominican Republic (ASONAHORES) and other representatives of the sector, has been working on safety and health measures to guarantee the well- being of tourists, employees and other industry players.
Likewise, we have prepared, together with the private sector, the work protocols that should be applied once the tourist operations in the country restart, which generate more than 350 thousand direct jobs.
As a result of this work, the protocol guides for the operation of: 1) Hotels, 2) Restaurants, 3) Bars, 4) Excursions and Operation of Theme Parks and Ranches, and 5) Maritime Transport and Water Companies are ready.
Likewise, the Civil Aviation Board has prepared a Draft Protocol for the Reactivation of Air Services in the Dominican Republic, for the restoration of air traffic in the country.
It is important to highlight that, from the first moment, MITUR works intensively to guarantee that all the participants in the sector start their operations in a safe way and following the necessary health protocol measures, on the date that the High Level Commission has designated for the reopening Tourism in our country.

Does somebody know where to find the mentioned Protocol Guides? I did not find anything on the Mitur site ....
Any help really appreciated! : cool:

[URL unfurl = "true"] http://mitur.gob.do/declaracion-de-prensa-2/ [/ UR

scot_tosh

May 21, 2010
[QUOTE = "scot_tosh, post: 5535046, member: 49016"]

08 Jun 2020 / News
PRESS STATEMENT

As the Minister of Tourism, Francisco Javier García, has expressed, MITUR, together with the Association of Hotels and Tourism of the Dominican Republic (ASONAHORES) and other representatives of the sector, has been working on safety and health measures to guarantee the well- being of tourists, employees and other industry players.
Likewise, we have prepared, together with the private sector, the work protocols that should be applied once the tourist operations in the country restart, which generate more than 350 thousand direct jobs.
As a result of this work, the protocol guides for the operation of: 1) Hotels, 2) Restaurants, 3) Bars, 4) Excursions and Operation of Theme Parks and Ranches, and 5) Maritime Transport and Water Companies are ready.
Likewise, the Civil Aviation Board has prepared a Draft Protocol for the Reactivation of Air Services in the Dominican Republic, for the restoration of air traffic in the country.
It is important to highlight that, from the first moment, MITUR works intensively to guarantee that all the participants in the sector start their operations in a safe way and following the necessary health protocol measures, on the date that the High Level Commission has designated for the reopening Tourism in our country.

Does somebody know where to find the mentioned Protocol Guides? I did not find anything on the Mitur site ....

[/ QUOTE]

These are the new protocols. Mexico as been awarded a stamp apparently.

habi

Oct 17, 2015
[QUOTE = "scot_tosh, post: 5535046, member: 49016"]

08 Jun 2020 / News
PRESS STATEMENT

[/ QUOTE]

These are the new protocols. Mexico as been awarded a stamp apparently.

Thanks, but I am looking for the guidelines from the Tourism Ministry here in the DR.
It is existing apparently but nobody knows where to find it...
In the articel below they mention part of it but I would like to find the (apparently 13 pages) document...

GusFring

Apr 15, 2020
What does a state of national epidemic mean?

It says it can last untill 30 days after the LAST reported epidemic case which would seem to be .... a long long long long long time.

How does this effect the election and a transition of power if that comes to pass?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Granted that these people still have money in their pockets after the whole thing is over (the economy is reopening but social distancing regulations is slowing income of many businesses). Also, if there is a slight semblance to a second wave where they are from, it's over.

I can tell you this...
my daughter is here from the UK - stuck here
still working (online) but not spending in London

Her bank account is WAY up...
the notion that people will have less money doesn't apply in all cases
Those people on welfare, low wage, etc never were the typical traveler ....
Working people are

Reactions: nrml

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I can tell you this...

Working people are

You’re absolutely right.

Don’t laugh at this..... we flew to DR early February, and we brought cash to last awhile/convert to pesos, even though we have a dollar account with a decent balance there. Normally the first thing we do is deposit a check into that account. I think we exchanged $2000 at Caribe Express, but the line at the bank was so long that we never did make a deposit the month we were there. Well, we didn’t do much those first few weeks, getting house in order, unpacking and organizing the baseball equipment we shipped down, buying new fridge, etc., so didn’t spend much. We came home with a stack of pesos, and a bank envelope full of hundreds. Three months later, most of those hundreds are still in that envelope. Three months of no stores will do that. Aside from food deliveries, nothing else to buy, and that goes on credit cards. Credit card bills also way down, no shopping, no restaurants, little gasoline.

I think we’re indicative of the norm right now of the traveling and/or retired type.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I can agree with what others are saying regarding spending. During the past several months spending has been in line with the very low numbers I see people say can be lived on in the DR. Now I have a feeling for how such people with only that kind of money per month are (not really) living.

Tourism faces a difficult path tapping into that cash.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
No restaurants/bars/stores..... no consumer spending in the traditional areas

The bank accounts are fat.....except for those unemployed -
who are not your normal Caribbean visitor

nrml

Mar 4, 2020
I can agree with what others are saying regarding spending. During the past several months spending has been in line with the very low numbers I see people say can be lived on in the DR. Now I have a feeling for how such people with only that kind of money per month are (not really) living.

Tourism faces a difficult path tapping into that cash.

I can tell you I bought a house in February and had (now cancelled) travel plans in March to go and furnish it as well as fix somethings and install new windows and the like.

All of that is on hold and these contractors are calling me and asking me when they can go work so they can make some $$. I am in the US and literally the only reason for me to enter the country is to pass around money in exchange for goods and services.

I dunno how many other Dominicans are out there like me, but if they don't open soon it's going to hurt for a looong time.

Reactions: Africaida

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
I can tell you this...

Working people are

I am in your daughter shoes....Despite the SERIOUS online shopping, I have been doing :rolleyes:

I was NOT referring to welfare recipients :oops: ???!!!! Many business owners have seen their revenues drop to 0 for months. I have several friends who work for TV/magazine/advertisement, they haven't seen any income for 3+ months and nothing in the close future, serious travelers (because of the nature of their job), they are not going anywhere anytime soon. Of course, they are not close to homelessness, they made a decent income pre-pandemic, but they will rebuild a cushion before they think about traveling again. My own brother is an experienced sound engineer, he is f*cked for now and will be for a little while.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
No restaurants/bars/stores..... no consumer spending in the traditional areas

The bank accounts are fat.....except for those unemployed -
who are not your normal Caribbean visitor

William, I am going to be nice... But, I also don't think that your daughter working online with a fat bank account because of staying on daddy's property is not necessarily the typical caribbean visitor either. If she had been stuck in the tropics without you, she would have 2 rents to pay, let s see how fat her bank account would have been :devilish:

Grocery prices went up while spending did, my electricity consumption is WAY up, many items are sold online so shopping is still possible (check Amazon, many items are sold out), many workers had to buy some electronics to work at home full time (including myself)....So, I disagree with your assessment, a bit simplistic.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Well 'Frica... if you look at AE's post... she agrees

My daighter pays her mtge in London.
She is paying for more than her share of the food while here

This is not the gravy train you may think it is

She is a single 35 yr old.... their normal budget incl many nights out.... nonexistent these days
That's where the real savings come from

Yes - she's lucky not to have seen her income drop or disappear.

Consider this -
she is in the 'Branding' area of marketing.. Image etc
Her company is busy these days
Forward thinking entities are considering how they will eventually deal with this new normal
By rebranding themselves or developing an exit plan....

That's what she does
The annual budget will be met by July

That surprised me....
but nice to hear that the world hasn't quite died yet.... in some areas

Reactions: Caonabo

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
At this moment, you have to be in the top 1% to afford a rental in the nearby shoreline in my area, most of them have been rented since March/April. I could buy a house in DR with the price I saw nearby :rolleyes:
At a Father's Day party yesterday my daughter, niece and a family friend confirmed this to me. I was not aware of this as I hope to be out of the states soon. The problem is, post covid19 requires extra large houses if you want to share or have guests on the weekend. They are expensive and gone. The less expensive houses can't be shared. They are gone also since they cost less. Nothing on the market for this summer. I rented a house last week in Savannah Ga. for a one year term to 3 women. Five bedrooms, two common areas, on two levels, and outdoor space. This will be the norm.

Reactions: Africaida

scot_tosh

May 21, 2010
Santo Domingo.- With the approval of the operating protocol for the tourism sector, the country would receive between 60,000 and 100,000 tourists in July, said Dominican Republic Hotels and Tourism Association (Asonahores) vice president Andrés Marranzini.

I've noted however that the sector will need a little more help, after assuring that it is very likely that it will not be 100% operational capacity beyond 2020.

Marranzini stressed that the estimated time for recovery is between 13 and 18 months and explained that 2021 would have to pass to recover the numbers close to 2018, which were the last best historical numbers for tourism in the country.

The Asonahores executive added that the entry of foreign visitors does not make a difference from the point of view of the risk of contagion from COVID-19.

Not sure I agree with the statement that there is no risk from foreign visitors, that depends on the state of epidemic in those countries. Any local person involved in the service industry is very much at risk