Alfredo Pacheco: Dominican truckers are hostage in Haiti; border surveillance reinforced

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Haiti-control-frontera-Listin-Diario-e1634905509333.png

The president of the Chamber of Deputies Alfredo Pacheco (PRM-National District) says that there are several Dominican truckers kidnapped in Haiti and no one does anything. Pacheco said now that Americans were kidnapped, the situation in Haiti has attracted attention.

“But there are a great number of Dominicans, in my constituency there are several, from district 2 of kilometer 13, who are hostages in Haiti and the international community does nothing,” said Alfredo Pacheco while speaking to journalists in his office in the Chamber of Deputies.

“The situation in Haiti is causing a crisis, they have just killed a president with his bodyguards, no one from his bodyguard died and no one knows who killed the president, when those who have a minimum of information know who was with the Haitian president,” said Pacheco.

Pacheco said he backs the proposal...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
The obvious question here is, “Why doesn’t the DR military roll into Haiti and free their hostage citizens?” We know the DR government will not pay the ransom demands. Expecting the International Community to do something to solve a DR problem is a poor political excuse. It’s not going to happen.

The Canadian police are working with other agencies to free the Canadian missionary taken hostage last week. US enforcement is doing the same thing for the 12 US missionaries taken hostage. The DR military and border enforcement should, at the very least, be doing the same thing.

The DR military and enforcement agencies are not noted for taking a soft approach to resolve domestic crime related issues. They should be taking the same approach to resolve the DR hostage taking issue. It would send a strong message to the gangs in Haiti.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Despite the situation in Haiti, the military from any country needs the have the green light from the other country's government before they can enter. The Dominican military never gets the approval from the Haitian government. Not even during the aftermath of the 2010 earthquake when the Dominican military was ready to send soldiers to help in the search and rescue. Dominican military had no choice but to gather at the border on the Dominican side. Why would now be any diffferent?

If a country declares war on another one, I guess their military can enter without asking permission. The DR isn't at war with Haiti and hasn't been since the 1850's, if I remember correctly. So, that's a moot point.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Despite the situation in Haiti, the military from any country needs the have the green light from the other country's government before they can enter. The Dominican military never gets the approval from the Haitian government. Not even during the aftermath of the 2010 earthquake when the Dominican military was ready to send soldiers to help in the search and rescue. Dominican military had no choice but to gather at the border on the Dominican side. Why would now be any diffferent?

If a country declares war on another one I guess their military can enter without asking permission, but the DR isn't at war with Haiti and hasn't been since the 1850's, if I remember correctly. So, that's a moot point.
The US and other countries have used incursions to extricate citizens taken hostage. While not politically acceptable, it’s a necessary evil to send a message to warlords and gang leaders that they risk being killed If they take hostages. No paid ransom policies by most governments limit their options to resolve hostage issues.

At this point, it’s only a few DR truck drivers. If they are killed or the DR hostage taking increases, the pressure will be on the DR government to take action of some kind. Haiti is in such a state of political and economic disarray, their government is powerless to resolve the issue. While not taking kindly to a DR incursion, they may accept it as a limited action that’s a necessary evil. It could be done under the guise of a police action, not a declaration of war. Haiti has more to lose than the DR. The last thing the Haitian government wants to do is further alienate the DR government.

Reactions: Goliath94K

Goliath94K

Sep 30, 2013
The US and other countries have used incursions to extricate citizens taken hostage. While not politically acceptable, it’s a necessary evil to send a message to warlords and gang leaders that they risk being killed If they take hostages. No paid ransom policies by most governments limit their options to resolve hostage issues.

At this point, it’s only a few DR truck drivers. If they are killed or the DR hostage taking increases, the pressure will be on the DR government to take action of some kind. Haiti is in such a state of political and economic disarray, their government is powerless to resolve the issue. While not taking kindly to a DR incursion, they may accept it as a limited action that’s a necessary evil. It could be done under the guise of a police action, not a declaration of war. Haiti has more to lose than the DR. The last thing the Haitian government wants to do is further alienate the DR government.
Im going to agree with this… sooner or later the Dominican government will have to act. Only once this happens will the haitian gangs understand not to mess with Dominican citizens.

Sadly as a Dominican what i see the Dominican government doing is waiting for the US to act and hope they some how run into the kidnapped Dominicans.

Reactions: Ecoman1949

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Im going to agree with this… sooner or later the Dominican government will have to act. Only once this happens will the haitian gangs understand not to mess with Dominican citizens.

Sadly as a Dominican what i see the Dominican government doing is waiting for the US to act and hope they some how run into the kidnapped Dominicans.
This is the first I've heard of Dominicans currently being held/ kidnapped in Haiti. Last time this happened the kidnapped victims had their faces plastered all over the news. It was national headlines so I question the accuracy of this report.

Goliath94K

Sep 30, 2013
This is the first I've heard of Dominicans currently being held/ kidnapped in Haiti. Last time this happened the kidnapped victims had their faces plastered all over the news. It was national headlines so I question the accuracy of this report.

There have been a total of 49 Dominican truckers kidnapped since the start of 2021. 49!

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
The downside of not acting is the eventual spread of Haitian gang activity into DR border towns and beyond. Send a message early and follow it up with strong enforcement. The situation in Haiti is only going to get worse, judging by the current lack of response from the International Community.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014

There have been a total of 49 Dominican truckers kidnapped since the start of 2021. 49!
Damn.
I try to read the news down here at least once a day. I can't believe I missed this article. 49? Luis needs to get off his high horse and do something about this... yesterday.

Gadfly

Jul 7, 2016
Despite the situation in Haiti, the military from any country needs the have the green light from the other country's government before they can enter.
True, but I know at least one country that might enter with or without a green light in certain situations. I hope I’m not on vacay now but it’s ok I’m over worked.

Reactions: Ecoman1949