All the Dominicans do this !!!!!!!!!

elton

My thread snapped!
Jul 1, 2008
perhaps we could have a little box under our name to state our country of origin then we will be more forgiving with the spelling and such like- mind you my spelling and punctuation is atrocious

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
I'm from Charleston, South Carolina but have lived all over the south, including Atlanta. I am a civil engineer and consult in the Orlando Fl area. A tu orden.

Now of course I'm Santiagues, por supuesto.

Hey Chip, you are Santiaguero. Santiaguez are those hwo live in Satiago de Chile.

JJ.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Hey Chip, you are Santiaguero. Santiaguez are those hwo live in Satiago de Chile.

JJ.

Thanks - actually I just had a Dominican from Santiago say that the capitalenos call us Santiagueros, but that people from Santiago call themselves Santiaguese.

Since I'm just a gringo, I figured they know better than me. :)

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
Thanks - actually I just had a Dominican from Santiago say that the capitalenos call us Santiagueros, but that people from Santiago call themselves Santiaguese.

Since I'm just a gringo, I figured they know better than me. :)

And those hwo live in Santiago de Cuba are called Santiaguenses.

jj.

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008

JJ.

Sorry Bachata but you are insanely wrong, If you are from Santiago de los Caballeros, you are a "Santiagues" not Santiaguero. Research a bit and get back to me.

I was born in Santiago, i went to school from Pre-k to University (UTESA), and i did a research about it.

I told Chip about it.

Read the article that El Listin Diario has about Santiago today on La vida section, here is a bit on Quote from el Listin Diario:

<<El historiador santiagu?s Edwin Espinal inform? que en la Catedral, est? enterrado el extinto presidente Ulises Heureaux, pues ?fue imposible trasladarlo a Puerto Plata, como era el deseo de su viuda, de donde era oriundo, por el estado de descomposici?n de su cad?ver, tras su asesinato en Moca?. Adem?s, expuso que la r?plica de La Piedad, escultura de Miguel ?ngel y una de las dos ?nicas copias en el mundo es apreciable en la Cripta de los Obispos. La otra est? en Punta del Este de Uruguay.>>

You can read the whole article at

La Vida - Santiago es Santiago

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
If you are from Santiago de los Caballeros, you are a "Santiagues" not Santiaguero.
I was born in Santiago, i went to school from Pre-k to University (UTESA), and i did a research about it.
If your research has proven that Santiagues is the correct word, when and why did they start calling themselves Santiageros/as?

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
Sorry Bachata but you are insanely wrong, If you are from Santiago de los Caballeros, you are a "Santiagues" not Santiaguero. Research a bit and get back to me.

I told Chip about it.

Read the article that El Listin Diario has about Santiago today on La vida section, here is a bit on Quote from el Listin Diario:

<<El historiador santiagu?s Edwin Espinal inform? que en la Catedral, est? enterrado el extinto presidente Ulises Heureaux, pues ?fue imposible trasladarlo a Puerto Plata, como era el deseo de su viuda, de donde era oriundo, por el estado de descomposici?n de su cad?ver, tras su asesinato en Moca?. Adem?s, expuso que la r?plica de La Piedad, escultura de Miguel ?ngel y una de las dos ?nicas copias en el mundo es apreciable en la Cripta de los Obispos. La otra est? en Punta del Este de Uruguay.>>

You can read the whole article at

La Vida - Santiago es Santiago
News reporters misspelled often in the Dominican press. I see that every day when I read the news online. I went to the school in the Dom. Rep. too. Let's other posters clarify this for us.

JJ.

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
If your research has proven that Santiagues is the correct word, when and why did they start calling themselves Santiageros/as?

As you know we Dominican are kind of lazy when we speak Spanish, it's easy to call ourselves "Santiagueros" than "Santiagueses", but the correct Demonym is "Santiagues".

If you are from Santiago and you went to school in Santiago you should know that.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
As you know we Dominican are kind of lazy when we speak Spanish, it's easy to call ourselves "Santiagueros" than "Santiagueses", but the correct Demonym is "Santiagues".

If you are from Santiago and you went to school in Santiago you should know that.
I'm a gringo.
And I'm not disputing the correct name.
I haven't a clue, but I do know that in 17 years of living here, I have only heard them call themselves Santiagueros/as, never Santiagues.

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
Ok. reserch about this and see what I found.
Santiago Rep. Dom. is no in the list of " la Real academia de la lengua Espanola " I don' know why.

Santiago de Chile: santiaguino /-a.
Santiago de Compostela (La Coru?a, Galicia, Espa?a): compostelano /-a.
Santiago de Cuba: santiaguero /-a
Santiago de la Puebla (Salamanca, Castilla y Le?n, Espa?a): santiagu?s /-a.
Santiago del Estero (provincia y ciudad

JJ.

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
I'm a gringo.
And I'm not disputing the correct name.
I haven't a clue, but I do know that in 17 years of living here, I have only heard them call themselves Santiagueros/as, never Santiagues.

Some people call themselves Santiagueros because they're either Lazy when they speak or are uneducated, or don't care at all about the correct demonym.

Everybody in Santiago can call themselves Santiaguero but they are wrong the correct demonym is "Santiagues".

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Some people call themselves Santiagueros because they're either Lazy when they speak or are uneducated, or don't care at all about the correct demonym.

Everybody in Santiago can call themselves Santiaguero but they are wrong the correct demonym is "Santiagues".
I heard you the first time and I'm not arguing the point, as i don't know.
I wasn't born here, nor is Spanish my native tongue.
I do know that they all call themselves Santiagueros, so it is my guess that even if historically it can be proven that the original correct term is Santiagues, it's now been changed.
You can't take on half a million people and tell them they are wrong and expect them to change.
It'll never happen.
I think you will have to accept the ways of the masses, just as I have learned to accept the way the Americans have bastardized the English language to the point that they now carry the misspelled words in their dictionaries, so now we have to accept it.
If you can't beat'em, join'em.

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
I heard you the first time and I'm not arguing the point, as i don't know.
I wasn't born here, nor is Spanish my native tongue.
I do know that they all call themselves Santiagueros, so it is my guess that even if historically it can be proven that the original correct term is Santiagues, it's now been changed.
You can't take on half a million people and tell them they are wrong and expect them to change.
It'll never happen.
I think you will have to accept the ways of the masses, just as I have learned to accept the way the Americans have bastardized the English language to the point that they now carry the misspelled words in their dictionaries, so now we have to accept it.
If you can't beat'em, join'em.
In this site you can see that there are more than one calificative adjetive for people hwo live in Santiago. Here is the link.
Anexo:Gentilicios ordenados por topónimos - Wikipedia, la enciclopedia libre

JJ.

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
The official website of Santiago de los Caballeros use the Gentilicio "Santiagues" when referring to the people of Santiago.

Portal del ciudadano

I was born in Santiago I lived in Santiago for 47 years. All my life I heard, one million people saying that we are " Santiageros " and sudenlly someone say that it is incorrect.
No way for me... go for someone else, to teach your modern spanish.

JJ.

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
I was born in Santiago I lived in Santiago for 47 years. All my life I heard, one million people saying that we are " Santiageros " and sudenlly someone say that it is incorrect.
No way for me... go for someone else, to teach your modern spanish.

JJ.

I guess you didn't receive a good education when you were in Santiago (sorry life is not fair).

Modern Spanish? are you for real?

I did my research more then 10 years ago when i was in High school and i didn't know i was speaking modern Spanish, ignorance is bliss (i hope that is the correct phrase).

The Demonym "Santiagues" is NOT new, it's always been Santiagues and it'll always be "Santigues", no matter what people in Santiago call themselves.

I learn something new everyday, so you learned something NEW today, eventhough you prefer to stay in denial.

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
I guess you didn't receive a good education when you were in Santiago (sorry life is not fair).

Modern Spanish? are you for real?

I did my research more then 10 years ago when i was in High school and i didn't know i was speaking modern Spanish, ignorance is bliss (i hope that is the correct phrase).

The Demonym "Santiagues" is NOT new, it's always been Santiagues and it'll always be "Santigues", no matter what people in Santiago call themselves.

I learn something new everyday, so you learned something NEW today, eventhough you prefer to stay in denial.
Yes, you are right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tu eres un GENIO .

JJ.