Almost Killed Three Dominicans Sunday Night

Fernandez

Bronze
Jan 4, 2002
In an uneducated land where there is no respect for life, the danger of riding on a motorcycle is increased by the lack of regard by others who share the road. Often times, buses, trucks, vans play chicken to see of you will move to the far lanes while they cross the illegal line between directions to pass a slower vehicle.
Very much like driving in Africa.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
In an uneducated land where there is no respect for life, the danger of riding on a motorcycle is increased by the lack of regard by others who share the road. Often times, buses, trucks, vans play chicken to see of you will move to the far lanes while they cross the illegal line between directions to pass a slower vehicle.

What is called "chicken" in the States is completely different to what happens here in the DR. It may appear this way to you but the rules of the road are different here. Motorcycles are expected to move to the right side of the lane when cars are passing and their is no malicious intent or threat of danger involved.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Just curious, do you have motorcycle training?

IMO, a motorcycle and a moto are two entirely different vehicles. Motos get in the way of the traffic flow because they cannot keep up. Motorcycles are part of the traffic flow, and they are faster and can decellerate much more quickly than about any other vehicle.

Certainly there is some reckless disregard for motos in the DR. That's obvious. But I'm not sure how you can compare the two two-wheeled vehicles.

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
unfortuneatly most dominican women don't know, or care, the difference between a 125 honda and a 1200 harley, it will get no respect. when dating my dominican wife of 17 years i showed her a picture of my 1964 harley back in the states, that took two years to build, from scratch as it was a basket, 64 motor, 74 frame, 83 front end. she thought i was poor, she showed the picture to her sister saying "look at my boyfriends pasola". when i told her that i lived in a wooden house she really thought i was poor and started to think twice about coming to the states. i decided not to tell her that i didn't have a car and drove a 1961 chevy truck. when she drives in SD her routine is to start the car ahead of time so that the AC is cold when it's time to go. once behind the wheel she has to look in the mirror to see if her hair is perfect, then adjust the radio, then back out which she is bad at. i warned her that one day someone will be shouting at her to stop, she won't hear them, and she will run over a nun. it is no use. not long ago i explained to a dominican dentist how her high beams worked and when to not use them. she was amazed. she had been driving in SD for twenty years and didn't know this! i am never comfortable driving in this country, never.

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
i showed her a picture of my 1964 harley back in the states, that took two years to build, from scratch as it was a basket, 64 motor, 74 frame, 83 front end. she thought i was poor, she showed the picture to her sister saying "look at my boyfriends pasola". when i told her that i lived in a wooden house she really thought i was poor and started to think twice about coming to the states. i decided not to tell her that i didn't have a car and drove a 1961 chevy truck.

Hahahaha, listen I'll take that OLD:ermm: beat up 64 harley off your hands and if you want throw in the chevy, hahahaha.