Almost unnoticed, thousands of dengue cases this year

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Dengue-mosquito-Flickr.jpg

While all the attention is on Covid-19 virus, the Ministry of Public Health says that mosquito-borne diseases are affecting locals as usual. Through 26 September 2020, there have been 3,585 dengue cases of dengue reported and 32 deaths attributed to the disease. Dr. Ronald Skewes, epidemiology director says the numbers are 78% fewer than last year, but still more than expected. He said that symptoms for dengue are similar to Covid-19, which has led many people to not get treated in time for dengue.

Dr. Skewes says that the majority of cases for dengue and malaria have occurred in Los Tres Brazos in eastern Santo Domingo and in northern Santo Domingo. In additional to municipalities in Greater Santo Domingo, the most dengue cases are reported in Pedernales, San José de Ocoa, Nagua, Bajos de Haina, Barahona, Bonao, Esperanza, San Cristóbal and Samaná.

Read more in...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
I really struggle with the wide reluctance to the use of screens for windows and doors. It baffles me because they are neither expensive nor difficult to install.
My cleaning lady deals with the screens on my windows when she washes the windows, but she likes to remind me, in Spanish, that "screens block the breeze."

I really think that is the reason why so many houses are unscreened.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
All of my windows are screened.
An absolute must however we don't
really get many mosquitos where I
live. Had Dengue twice. Far worse than
the influenza (possibly covid) I had back
in February.

Reactions: arturo

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
My cleaning lady deals with the screens on my windows when she washes the windows, but she likes to remind me, in Spanish, that "screens block the breeze."

You bring up a good point. The screens have to be cleaned periodically. I've wondered if that might be the reason they are shunned. Upkeep is not a priority here. I think what your cleaning lady said is nonsensical but compared to feedback I got from a Dominican acquaintance it is reasonable. It is a head scratcher for me; when I asked why screens are not used I was told it's because "the mosquitoes can't get out". Seriously, that was the explanation.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
All of my windows are screened.
An absolute must however we don't
really get many mosquitos where I
live. Had Dengue twice. Far worse than
the influenza (possibly covid) I had back
in February.

Three dengues here.....

and I had that February mystery disease too !!
Awful !!!
Very possibly CV19..... hi fever - all chest congestion.... nothing above my neck

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
We replaced all our windows about 6-7 years ago, and had screens made at the same time, the kind that have a metal frame and the little screw clips that hold them in. Before we came down one year, someone decided they needed cleaning, and instead of doing one room at a time, they removed them all at once. Not only did they rip a few, no one knew which ones went where and I think half are still in wrong rooms. 😠

We use Magic Mesh doors, they help a lot. We bring down new ones each trip, as well as good fiberglass screening for replacements.

Rarely is there a mosquito in the house, but then neither are we. I planted mint along the back terrazzo and there’s always citronella incense or candle burning, unless there’s a stiff breeze. Mr AE had a bad case of dengue a few years ago, left him with a neurological issue, so we really avoid mosquitoes as best as we can.

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
We replaced all our windows about 6-7 years ago, and had screens made at the same time, the kind that have a metal frame and the little screw clips that hold them in. Before we came down one year, someone decided they needed cleaning, and instead of doing one room at a time, they removed them all at once. Not only did they rip a few, no one knew which ones went where and I think half are still in wrong rooms. 😠

We use Magic Mesh doors, they help a lot. We bring down new ones each trip, as well as good fiberglass screening for replacements.

Rarely is there a mosquito in the house, but then neither are we. I planted mint along the back terrazzo and there’s always citronella incense or candle burning, unless there’s a stiff breeze. Mr AE had a bad case of dengue a few years ago, left him with a neurological issue, so we really avoid mosquitoes as best as we can.

Those kind of window screens are designed so they can be sponged clean in place. There is no need to remove them unless they prevent you cleaning the glass. Removed or not the key is sponge them clean gently. My guess is they were ripped during the removal process, which is often apply force whenever a part does not move the way you imagine it should.

Reactions: CristoRey

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Those kind of window screens are designed so they can be sponged clean in place. There is no need to remove them unless they prevent you cleaning the glass. Removed or not the key is sponge them clean gently. My guess is they were ripped during the removal process, which is often apply force whenever a part does not move the way you imagine it should.
Nothing gentle about our housekeeper, lol. Even a couple of the frames were broken. Mr AE was talking to himself rather loudly. I had to remind him that she thought she was doing something special for us. 😊 There’s now a “don’t touch the screens “ rule

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
Nothing gentle about our housekeeper, lol. Even a couple of the frames were broken. Mr AE was talking to himself rather loudly. I had to remind him that she thought she was doing something special for us. 😊 There’s now a “don’t touch the screens “ rule

I learned the hard way that special instruction is required for anything that is not cement, tile, or caoba. Glass, electronics, chlorine bleach, & quality cookware are especially vulnerable to mishaps.

Sailor51

Happy to still be here
Oct 30, 2018
You bring up a good point. The screens have to be cleaned periodically. I've wondered if that might be the reason they are shunned. Upkeep is not a priority here. I think what your cleaning lady said is nonsensical but compared to feedback I got from a Dominican acquaintance it is reasonable. It is a head scratcher for me; when I asked why screens are not used I was told it's because "the mosquitoes can't get out". Seriously, that was the explanation.
Well you wouldn't want them out there infecting others would you?? :unsure:

CDNBear

Banned
Sep 29, 2020
Cabarete
I have a lot of screens. Bought the house with them. Have not noticed much cleaning problem, but we clean the house ourself.

Get rid of standing water everywhere you have it outside, and the mosquito problem is less.

You could use some less dangerous pesticide like cipermetrina/cypermethrin outside the house to deter them, although such stuff generally should be avoided because of negarive impact on other insects.

After I advised our gardener to use very little/none cypermethrin, I see more mosquitos outside.

ChelseaRose

Jul 16, 2017

Your cleaning lady is actually correct- screens reduce airflow through windows by around 50%. Fire fighters know this and knock out screens as soon as they arrive. HVAC consultants also do, and plan for the reduction in airflow in their calculations.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006

I doubt there is such a thing as a good case of Dengue.

I know a few who recovered from Dengue and to a man they make certain not to it a get it a second time.
The disease can be severe the first time but is likely to be much worse the second time around.
Its one of those I did not know I could be this sick and not be dead diseases.
Mr. AE is smart to be careful.

Its nickname is "break bone fever" and if you get it you will understand the reason for the name.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
My first case was mild.... like gripe.

Second time was the hemorrhagic..... 104F fever.... head pain - 11 days
You can only get this type as a subsequent event.....
meaning that what I thought was gripe was actually Dengue.... The doctor walked me thru that

Felt the same the next time..... that 104 cools off to 102 or so for the next several days..

Head so sore, you can't comb your hair.....

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
Your cleaning lady is actually correct- screens reduce airflow through windows by around 50%. Fire fighters know this and knock out screens as soon as they arrive. HVAC consultants also do, and plan for the reduction in airflow in their calculations.

Uncleaned screens reduce airflow. If they are dirty enough they can stop airflow. One of the earliest improvements to HVAC systems was the removeable and washable filter. More importantly, dengue can be fatal but a stuffy room cannot.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Three dengues here.....

and I had that February mystery disease too !!
Awful !!!
Very possibly CV19..... hi fever - all chest congestion.... nothing above my neck
The antibody test is a simple blood test.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Surprised she did not clean them with a hose, from the outside in. Dominicans love cleaning with a lot of water.

• Haha
Reactions: arturo and CDNBear

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
Surprised she did not clean them with a hose, from the outside in. Dominicans love cleaning with a lot of water.

Oh my God, so true. Then you get to live with the mildew for days until the chlorine kicks in. Liberal use of water is the way when there is a free (to the cleaner) supply.

The streetside carwashers on the other hand use a single filthy rag and a repurposed four liter plastic jug of water on several cars. It looks good when they are done but it doesn't last like the scratches in in your clearcoat from the grit in filthy water

Reactions: Luperon