Altice stealing my money

jahjahwarrior

Mar 14, 2017
I think Altice is a little cheaper, but I'm going to move my cellphone service to Claro this month.

Using a foreign credit card to autopay Altice through the app or website is impossible. They try to charge a super small peso amount, like 13 pesos, but that gets converted to $ and rounded slightly, and confirming doesn't work. When I convert back I think it's 14 pesos, for example.

You can register your card at the big service offices, not the kiosks. I had it registered, then had to change credit card numbers due to someone stealing the numbers to use at Sirena to buy big screen TV's, so I had to go back and register it again. While I was there, asked if I could get some better deal that included roaming in USA and sure enough, for $4 more a month I can change from my old 3gb plan to unlimited in RD, and 2gb roaming, great deal! But they wanted to take a 5,000 peso deposit for the "new" plan because I'm a foreigner! Not cool.

So instead of having mi esposa under my autopay name, we moved the accounts to her name which had a significantly smaller deposit, and put both lines under autopay to the same credit card. First month no problem, second month with no notice that my line wasn't charged right, they shut off my service.

And guess what--the "big" office on this side of town closes at 6pm! They told me through the locked door to try calling customer service. Customer service said no problem and proceeded to charge the card 10 pesos or whatnot, and asked me to verify how many pesos, even though we told them that the reason we couldn't do that was the conversion from pesos to dollars. Even though the card was registered on one line of the account, they couldn't process a payment for a second line without re-registering, even though I had already registered it on both lines a month before.

Paid the bill at a kiosk the next day but when this month is almost over, I'll change both phones to Claro... I was more than a little ticked at how bad the customer service was.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
With Claro, get the Mi Claro app on your phone or computer. You can register a Card for auto pay. I have been using it with no problems for several months. But it takes about 5 days to register the Card. You can get your bill on the app and see your used data and call minutes. All calls to Claro lines both cell and landline are free and do not take any of your minutes. Also they rollover your unused data and minutes to the next month. I have so many minutes due to calling mostly Claro numbers I don't know what to do with them.

Also free roaming in 20 countries, including the US. But if you use this tell the people calling from the DR they need to put a 1 in front of the area code to call you.

I need to tell you that this is for the Post Paid Smart Plan.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
With Claro, get the Mi Claro app on your phone or computer. You can register a Card for auto pay. I have been using it with no problems for several months. But it takes about 5 days to register the Card. You can get your bill on the app and see your used data and call minutes. All calls to Claro lines both cell and landline are free and do not take any of your minutes. Also they rollover your unused data and minutes to the next month. I have so many minutes due to calling mostly Claro numbers I don't know what to do with them.

Also free roaming in 20 countries, including the US. But if you use this tell the people calling from the DR they need to put a 1 in front of the area code to call you.

With a US or Dominican Card ?

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Used to be an Orange recharge would be good for 60 days. Now it's 30 days.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Used to be an Orange recharge would be good for 60 days. Now it's 30 days.

With orange a 100 peso recharge was good for a month now its 15 days.
also as I pay every 6mo I would get a letter from tricom a month before due date, according to Altice is not doing that either so necessary to remember the dates no reminder

JasonD

Bronze
Feb 10, 2018

The key is to use the post paid plan.

Recargas are nothing but robbing you blind.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005

Recargas are nothing but robbing you blind.

That all depends on how often you are in la rep dom AND how much do you use your phone. A postpago plan for me would be a rip off cuz i seldom use my cell phone except to contact Uber and WhatsApp. A $10 regarga most months is plenty for me.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
That all depends on how often you are in la rep dom AND how much do you use your phone. A postpago plan for me would be a rip off cuz i seldom use my cell phone except to contact Uber and WhatsApp. A $10 regarga most months is plenty for me.

Thats why I changed my pospaid plan for prepaid, not only those people that stay short period in the country, I live here and a lot minutes left behind, now I recharge 580.00 pesos for 28 days unlimited data plan, and from the extra 100.00 pesos for emergency calls from 2 months ago left 68.00 pesos credit.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005

Recargas are nothing but robbing you blind

Thats why I changed my pospaid plan for prepaid, not only those people that stay short period in the country, I live here and a lot minutes left behind, now I recharge 580.00 pesos for 28 days unlimited data plan, and from the extra 100.00 pesos for emergency calls from 2 months ago left 68.00 pesos credit.

Exactly Riva, clearly a case where one size does not fit all. Prepaid has it's advantages to some and I agree postpaid has advantages for others.

Feb 7, 2007
If you're using a lot of voice, postpaid is the only option to not go bankrupt with phone bills. If what you use is primarily data and very little voice (less than 50 minutes per month) then prepaid with weekly data packages is a great option.

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Hi Bob, There is another factor you may have missed. It is the length of time you get when you recharge with Altice.
In the last few days have recharged RD$500 and got 28 days to use it. Previously this would have got you 6 weeks. A RD$ 100 used to get you 28 days but now it is down to 10 days. RD$250 get you 14 days whereas it used to get you a month.

We only use voice calls so don't use Data.

They are really SCR?Wing us ! Both taking money via Data and shortening the time to use the funds/

And by the way if you have money on your account and time runs out you don't get it back when you recharges as someone suggested.

Olly

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
Left Altice for Claro in July. Much happier

Bob K

At Viva too, I came back from short vacations out of the country and I didnt buy paquetico untill my plane landed. Before I leave on August 24th I added 400.00 pesos to my phone to complete the amount of 580.00 pesos to purchase 28 days of Data and my service went good up to november 21st.

Hi Bob, There is another factor you may have missed. It is the length of time you get when you recharge with Altice.
In the last few days have recharged RD$500 and got 28 days to use it. Previously this would have got you 6 weeks. A RD$ 100 used to get you 28 days but now it is down to 10 days. RD$250 get you 14 days whereas it used to get you a month.

We only use voice calls so don't use Data.

They are really SCR?Wing us ! Both taking money via Data and shortening the time to use the funds/

And by the way if you have money on your account and time runs out you don't get it back when you recharges as someone suggested.

Olly

If Altice is not returning your credit and you added credit before 90 days you can open a case and ask them to give you back your money, Indotel ruled about it and if you know your rights and you let know then that you know will do refund it faster. In prepaid service your money is good up to 3 months. If you add credit before 90 days your money must comeback together with your new recharge, if after 3 months you do not add credit to your line they have the right to take the money but never before 3 months.