always 'married'

Chelleyyyyy

Apr 7, 2007
im just curious if anyone else is seriously dating a Dominican and wanting to live in Canada instead of Dominican??
in all of the posts i've read, everyone has already been married and then started the process. i, on the other hand, am not married and not ready to get married quite yet... (no need for the, "if you're not ready to marry him, why bring him to canada speach" we love each other, but i'm just not ready for that quite yet .. we want to have things a little more secure and settled before i walk down the isle.. )

is anyone in the similar boat as i am??

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
it may be because an average dominican has no chance of getting canadian visa. so in order to live with your dominican love in canada you have to marry them first...

Chelleyyyyy

Apr 7, 2007
i find it such a sad thing when there are people here who truly deserve better.

granted, there are people who would definitely take advantage if it were an easy process...

or marry just for visa purposes...

well, maybe ill just have to keep digging and see what happens.

thanks dv8

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
you can always try for a visa :) good things happen sometimes.
if your man has a job and some possessions he may get the visa, who knows. but chances are slim, unfortunately.

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
Chelleyyy,

They have been issue more temporary resident visas than ever before.

Why don't you try?

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
Thanks Anna!

There is a common-law application which you can apply under if you have joined your life in every way possible except for the ring.

You do have to have a very strong case to be approved in this category but there are options that don't force you to have a marriage certificate.

DR_Guy

Bronze
Feb 17, 2010
it may be because an average dominican has no chance of getting canadian visa. so in order to live with your dominican love in canada you have to marry them first...

Not true. My Dominican girlfriend got a multiple entry one year visa for Canada. She has no house and no job. It is possible

Chelleyyyyy

Apr 7, 2007
thank you for the posts... and the link.

we have some work ahead of us, but the posts have made it not so glum for us!

again, thank you for the help!

MBG

Nov 13, 2008
DR Guy, you said the key word: ''girlfriend''. I think it's easier when the foreigner is a man...You fit in the lucky category...Although I've come across men (not many) who didn't have it so easy, I still say it's harder for women.

Thanks for sharing!

Chelleyyyyy

Apr 7, 2007
question!

okay so ive been elbows deep in reading for the past couple weeks and i now have a question ;)

to 'visit canada' (not sponser) is there only the one form.. in English? Everything is in English and I'm not sure he'll be able to fill it out correctly (of course i can go over it with him and help him, but thought it would be easier if in Spanish and readily available in DR)

There is the form to sponser a common law, husband etc etc.. that i send to him and he fills out and sends back to me .... but my question is regarding the temp resident (visitor) for a VISIT

so confusing!! .. thanks for all the help!

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
okay so ive been elbows deep in reading for the past couple weeks and i now have a question ;)

to 'visit canada' (not sponser) is there only the one form.. in English? Everything is in English and I'm not sure he'll be able to fill it out correctly (of course i can go over it with him and help him, but thought it would be easier if in Spanish and readily available in DR)

There is the form to sponser a common law, husband etc etc.. that i send to him and he fills out and sends back to me .... but my question is regarding the temp resident (visitor) for a VISIT

so confusing!! .. thanks for all the help!

Chelleyyyyy.....

Have you read the list of required documents on the Embassies website?

It clearly states the required documents you need to send them. The website can be viewed in Spanish but once you click on the links to open the forms or user guide it is all in English and French. There is a checklist you need to print off and include as the cover sheet of the application.

What form are you talking about for sponsoring a husband/common law partner....if you are referring to permanent residency there is a lot more than 1 form. If you are referring the visitor visa application, there is a form to declare your common law status if that applies to your situation.

Here is what is required for the temporary visitor visa:

You must submit the following completed forms:

Temporary Resident Visa Checklist :
Please complete and place this checklist on top of your application.

Application form (IMM 5257)

Additional Information Form

Additional Family Information Form (IMM5406)

If applicable, please also submit the following:

Use of a Representative (IMM 5476)

Statutory Declaration of Common-Law Union (IMM 5409)

Here is the link....

Temporary Resident (Visitor) Visa Application Forms

Chelleyyyyy

Apr 7, 2007
i have yet to read this page ... thank you so much!

i really appreciate all the help. very much. so again, thank you.

:)

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
That site is what you have to read to apply.

I would highly suggest downloading and reading the user guide before you start.

Chelleyyyyy

Apr 7, 2007
That site is what you have to read to apply.

I would highly suggest downloading and reading the user guide before you start.

ohhh yes yes! Of course I will read it, and everything else I can before we start. There is lots to read and this is just the beginning.