Am I the only one

cbello

New member
Nov 19, 2004
67
0
0
Who is scared to fly around here...other then me? I'm leaving next Friday and the anxiety is killing me. I've been dreading the flight for the past two weeks, and gravol's don't do it for me anymore.

Please share some positive feedback.....cause I sure need it
gracias! :nervous:
 

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
1,574
70
0
Not sure if it helps but....

cbello said:
Who is scared to fly around here...other then me? I'm leaving next Friday and the anxiety is killing me. I've been dreading the flight for the past two weeks, and gravol's don't do it for me anymore.

Please share some positive feedback.....cause I sure need it
gracias! :nervous:
I can repeat to you what I'm sure you've heard many times. Commercial airlines are the safest form of travel you can take. Your chances are much greater of being killed or injured in your car between now and your trip! Just think of what (or who?) is waiting for you on your arrival.

What's a gravol?
 

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
3,563
0
0
What cbello is experiencing is a phobia, and no amount of rationalization will help. Phobias are irrational fears, and fear of phobia is called aviatophobia. All phobias are classified as psychological disorders. Personally, I had a bad bout of flying phobia a few years ago, and nstead of seeking professional help I automedicated myself before entering the airplane to control anxiety. One day, quite spontaneously, I realized that the phobia was gone, and from then on, I don't have to medicate myself before flying and actually, now I quite enjoy flying.

Mirador
 

beachlv

New member
Sep 28, 2004
51
0
0
cbello said:
Who is scared to fly around here...other then me? I'm leaving next Friday and the anxiety is killing me. I've been dreading the flight for the past two weeks, and gravol's don't do it for me anymore.

Please share some positive feedback.....cause I sure need it
gracias! :nervous:
Sorry the gravols aren't helping anymore. There do seem to be several online sites that deal specifically with helping people deal with their fear of flying. You might try one or two of them to see if they have anything to offer you in way of relief.

I can pass along something that I heard last week from a MD on tv who advises his patients with serious fear of flying issues to avoid alcohol prior to flight. Apparently, instead of relaxing the person, the alcohol tends to exacerbate their feelings of dread thereby making their flight that much worse.


On a lighter note, compared to the list of phobias found at: http://www.phobialist.com, the fear of flying seems to be one of the more reasonable "irrational" fears (if such a thing can be said at all, :eek: ).

good luck to you in your travels.
 

holacanada

New member
Sep 8, 2004
210
0
0
You are not alone !!!

Hello CBello !
As a nervous flyer myself, I suggest you a interesting site about this common phobia. It's so normal to be affraid about something you don't know about. Before my departure in december, i am gonna print these pages (site) and I am going to read this on board.

http://www.guidetopsychology.com/airfacts.htm
_________

I am also a regular reader of some forums about the fear of flying and I see that I am not alone. You can reach one of this forum at >
http://www.airdisaster.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=17&sid=18a34024dea195f15f6ba4eaeb3021f3

Anyway we are all gonna die on day... Were only human afterall !!!
Enjoy your flight !!!!

;) http://www.guidetopsychology.com/airfacts.htmhttp://www.airdisaster.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=17&sid=18a34024dea195f15f6ba4eaeb3021f3
 

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
12,260
463
83
If you suffer from phobia then why not get a real scare when flying. here is what you do: when the plane takes off at rolling speed, just peek out the window and see the earth being left below, far far away. This way the trip will be totally unforgetful.
One person's fear is another person's joyride. i love flying planes, its half the fun of the trip. On my next long trip, i will be on 11 different planes, hopping from one place to another in one month alone. If they add a few more stops, i would love it even more. take-offs and landings are the most fun. the ride becomes totally boring when you are at cruising altitude. I even love airplane food, i wish they had a restaurant which served airplane style food in tiny little dishes. This 8th of december, i will be flying in the new Boeing 777 to london. Just can't wait to see this plane from inside and experience the flying.
I love airplanes, for that reason alone, i would fly anywhere, even if they send me to iraq.
AZB
 

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
3,513
2
0
cbello said:
Who is scared to fly around here...other then me? I'm leaving next Friday and the anxiety is killing me. I've been dreading the flight for the past two weeks, and gravol's don't do it for me anymore.

Please share some positive feedback.....cause I sure need it
gracias! :nervous:
Why do you allow yourself to suffer from this ridiculous phobia? The only way to cure it is to just get on the damn plane and go. Face down your fears. If the plane crashes then it crashes. We all have to die sometime. You have a better chance being struck by lightning.

Larry
 

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
2,246
26
48
AZB said:
just peek out the window and see the earth being left below, far far away....One person's fear is another person's joyride. i love flying planes..... I even love airplane food, i wish they had a restaurant which served airplane style food in tiny little dishes. AZB
the one thing that bothers me most about flying is when i can't get a window seat. and then have to sit next to the bone head who requested it who pulls the shade down and sleeps the whole 4 hour trip to RD. me, i will have my nose to the window the whole trip, day or night, watching the earth below me or patiently waiting for the clouds to disappear.

the food i always pass on, but i love those tiny little bottles of rum they serve.

mob :classic:
 

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
9,478
376
0
77
www.ginniebedggood.com
Mirador said:
What cbello is experiencing is a phobia, and no amount of rationalization will help. Phobias are irrational fears, and fear of phobia is called aviatophobia. All phobias are classified as psychological disorders. Personally, I had a bad bout of flying phobia a few years ago, and nstead of seeking professional help I automedicated myself before entering the airplane to control anxiety. One day, quite spontaneously, I realized that the phobia was gone, and from then on, I don't have to medicate myself before flying and actually, now I quite enjoy flying.

Mirador
Absolutely right. It won't help for next Friday (if that is today, you're here already, well done!) but there are behavioural techniques to assist for future flights. These consist of rating your most to least feared parts of the journey & confronting each in turn, starting with least feared.
I won't tell you I love flying because that is TOTALLY irrelevant to your problem (AZB, you know better, please). What may help are some security blanket practicalities.....train yourself to have a sip of water each time the panic gets to it worst, & always make sure you carry a bottle of water, of course. If your fear presents as dizziness etc, try to lie down if at all possible. Deep breathing techniques help a lot of people. Breathe in slowly.....hold it.......& exhale. You can count while you do this. If travelling with someone, hold their hand & if you feel so terrified you want to cry, then cry.......it will release tension & help you.
 

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
2,506
60
0
mobrouser said:
the one thing that bothers me most about flying is when i can't get a window seat. and then have to sit next to the bone head who requested it who pulls the shade down and sleeps the whole 4 hour trip to RD. me, i will have my nose to the window the whole trip, day or night, watching the earth below me or patiently waiting for the clouds to disappear.

the food i always pass on, but i love those tiny little bottles of rum they serve.

mob :classic:
Too bad they don't have a special outside deck where you can just come out and get much more intimate with space. Lol
 

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
2,506
60
0
cbello said:
Who is scared to fly around here...other then me? I'm leaving next Friday and the anxiety is killing me. I've been dreading the flight for the past two weeks, and gravol's don't do it for me anymore.

Please share some positive feedback.....cause I sure need it
gracias! :nervous:
Just do like i do, get you some ambient 30 minutes before you board and by the time the plane takes off you will be knocked out. The effect last 8 hours so you would still be knocked out when it lands and then if you are still sleepy just reach in your bag and pull out your Red Bull energy drink.
 

cbello

New member
Nov 19, 2004
67
0
0
thanks

Lambada said:
Absolutely right. It won't help for next Friday (if that is today, you're here already, well done!) but there are behavioural techniques to assist for future flights. These consist of rating your most to least feared parts of the journey & confronting each in turn, starting with least feared.
I won't tell you I love flying because that is TOTALLY irrelevant to your problem (AZB, you know better, please). What may help are some security blanket practicalities.....train yourself to have a sip of water each time the panic gets to it worst, & always make sure you carry a bottle of water, of course. If your fear presents as dizziness etc, try to lie down if at all possible. Deep breathing techniques help a lot of people. Breathe in slowly.....hold it.......& exhale. You can count while you do this. If travelling with someone, hold their hand & if you feel so terrified you want to cry, then cry.......it will release tension & help you.
Thank you Lambada and everyone else that had positive comments except for .... no names mentioned of course. Unfortunately I'm not gone yet, leaving this coming friday and trying to stay positive with this.
I think I might have to visit my doctor for some "Knock me out" pills and then off and high I shall be :nervous:

this is gotta to be the worst feeling in the world, I am not afraid of anything but this is by far the least enjoyable feeling, but I'm glad to see that I am NOT ALONE

Thanks again everyone :smoke:
 

cbello

New member
Nov 19, 2004
67
0
0
Mr_DR said:
Just do like i do, get you some ambient 30 minutes before you board and by the time the plane takes off you will be knocked out. The effect last 8 hours so you would still be knocked out when it lands and then if you are still sleepy just reach in your bag and pull out your Red Bull energy drink.
What is "ambient" ? and what exactly does it do? over the counter or not?
I'm not so sure if this would be a good thing for me to take, I have a connect flight in NY. Therefore, I have to remain sane until then.
Buzzed for 8 hours?
I just can't imagine arriving to SD and hugging the wrong man thinking it's my husband do to the after affect of "ambient", I don't think he would be thrilled ;)
 

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
9,478
376
0
77
www.ginniebedggood.com
cbello said:
Thank you Lambada and everyone else that had positive comments except for .... no names mentioned of course. Unfortunately I'm not gone yet, leaving this coming friday and trying to stay positive with this.
I think I might have to visit my doctor for some "Knock me out" pills and then off and high I shall be :nervous:

this is gotta to be the worst feeling in the world, I am not afraid of anything but this is by far the least enjoyable feeling, but I'm glad to see that I am NOT ALONE

Thanks again everyone :smoke:
OK we've got a few days, which is really good, so you can practise. Get your bottle of water ready. Now visualise every step of the journey. Leaving your home, getting in taxi, getting to airport (?panic starting a little. Take a sip of water. Breathe........in....hold it......exhale). Check in proceedure. Then the wait (?another little surge......repeat water & deep breathing). Flight is called (big surge.....repeat water & breathing). Get to gate. Wait again. Board plane (?another surge, repeat proceedure). Find seat. Strap in. Engines start (another surge, repeat proceedure). Taxi out, engine run up checks. Taxi to runway, full power, take off run (really big surge, repeat proceedure, if empty plane make a noise whilst exhaling, it helps - warn flight attendants first!).
I won't go on, but you get the picture? By practising what it is going to feel like, you are confronting this before the real event. I wish I could be there to talk you through it, but I can't. So you talk yourself through it & please, let us know how you get on. You've got an interested readership here, all with you in spirit.
 

Simon & Nicky

Bronze
Feb 3, 2004
655
14
0
www.simon-hall.co.uk
That's not the way...

There are two English speaking hypnotherapists in Sosua. What you describe can be stopped with what is known as the "ten minute phobia fix". - Piece of cake. I've been doing it for years. Because I can't advertise let's make it fair - Get in touch with Twilight and Thebes (they are on this board) - She will fix you over the 'phone.

- "Pull yourself together" is not an option!!!

- Twilight, you owe me!


Simon
 

cbello

New member
Nov 19, 2004
67
0
0
can you hook me up

Simon & Nicky said:
There are two English speaking hypnotherapists in Sosua. What you describe can be stopped with what is known as the "ten minute phobia fix". - Piece of cake. I've been doing it for years. Because I can't advertise let's make it fair - Get in touch with Twilight and Thebes (they are on this board) - She will fix you over the 'phone.

- "Pull yourself together" is not an option!!!

- Twilight, you owe me!


Simon
How can I get in touch with these people?

thanks
 

beachlv

New member
Sep 28, 2004
51
0
0
Conquering Your Phobias...

Hi cbello,
The cover story for the Dec 6th, 2004 issue of U.S.News and World Report is:
"Conquering Your Phobias" (st: New techniques and treatments for overcoming fear).

Thought you might want to pick up a copy. Maybe it has something to offer for your situation.

good luck in your travels.
beachlv