Amazon to Collect Sales Tax in Florida

texan

Apr 1, 2014
We have to pay sales tax on Amazon now in Texas. Amazon has always been one of my favorites sites. Florida sales tax should be 6 to 7 1/2 percent. It is a minimum of 6 percent but each county is different. So that sales tax above sounds too low.

We have Fry's in texas which is a huge electronic store. Fry's will match prices from major internet companies such as Amazon. Of course a lot of electronics there are very similar models but with different model numbers. But it is a nice option if they have the same item and now cost the same as Amazon since they both add sales tax.

B and H is a great place to buy electronics. B and H has a great reputation and carries a lot of items. Ebay is also great and of course has a larger selection. Ebay is probably the best for cheap phone cases, chargers, cables, etc. Most all the chinese stuff is on ebay. I use paypal and the check out is easy and fast. Some sellers only take paypal.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
B and H is a great place to buy electronics. B and H has a great reputation and carries a lot of items.

I buy from B&H as well as Amazon. I agree B&H is good for electronics. I don' use eBay for anything but the low cost stuff.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Confirmed and billed:

Item(s) Subtotal: $111.68
Shipping & Handling: $7.20
Free shipping: -$7.20
-----
Total before tax: $111.68
Sales Tax: $1.34
-----
Total for This Shipment: $113.02
-----

"Estimated Tax" Let us know the result please.

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
Confirmed and billed:

Item(s) Subtotal: $111.68
Shipping & Handling: $7.20
-----
Sales Tax: $1.34
-----
Total for This Shipment: $113.02
-----

How is your tax so low? I'm buying something cheaper and have more tax..

Order Summary
Items: $84.99
Shipping & handling: $8.94
Free shipping: -$8.94
Total before tax: $84.99
Estimated tax to be collected: $5.95
Order total: $90.94

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Tax in Florida is a minimum of 6%. Must be a mistake. Take it and be happy.

Aug 6, 2006
Florida sales tax is 6 to 7.5%.

$1.34 is 1.2% of 11.68.
$5.95 is 7.0% of $84.99

In Florida prescription drugs and food are not taxed.
Everything that is taxed is taxed at between $6 and $7.5%, depending on the county. Miami Dade has the highest rate, currently %7%, but subject to being raised by public referendum to 7.5%.

Perhaps the first purchase included food & medicine as well as taxable items.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
Just ordered s'thing on Amazon:

Items (5): $111.68
Shipping & handling: $7.20
Estimated tax to be collected: $1.34
Order total: $113.02

Well. with this Tax I can live... :)

A frog can live in warm water.

The Boiled Frog

They say that if you put a frog into a pot of boiling water,
it will leap out right away to escape the danger.
But, if you put a frog in a kettle that is filled with water that is cool and pleasant,
and then you gradually heat the kettle until it starts boiling,
the frog will not become aware of the threat until it is too late.
The frog's survival instincts are geared towards detecting sudden changes.

This is a story that is used to illustrate how people might get themselves into terrible trouble.
This parable is often used to illustrate how humans have to be careful to watch slowly changing trends in the environment, not just the sudden changes. Its a warning to keep us paying attention not just to obvious threats but to more slowly developing ones.

An example:
Let's say that every year, the local well had an inch less of water in it. A person might realize there's a problem if there's suddenly NO water, but a slowly dropping level might not be an obvious crisis until it's too late!

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
There are 5 articles what will come together in one package.

But only one states "Sold by Amazon.com LLC". The others are sold by others and fullfilled by Amazon....

Maybe that is the reason and only the articles sold by Amazon directly are being taxed?

But 6 % minimum tax of the merchandise sold by Amazon (40 USD) would be 2.40 $ not 1.34... mmmh

Aug 6, 2006
I am guessing that sales fulfilled by Amazon are not taxed. If you buy a book from Bob's Books in Bogalusa, you will not be charged FL tax, because Bob is in Louisiana and has no branches in FL. Amazon will be collecting FL taxes because they have opened a facility near Tampa.

When I order stuff from Amazon that comes from non Amazon sites that have a fulfillment agreement, they always arrive in separate packages. Usually I have to pay separate shipping as well, but I am not an Amazon Prime member. If you pay Amazon $99 per year, then you are a member and pay no shipping, at least that is how I understand it.

Aug 6, 2006
A frog can live in warm water.

The Boiled Frog

They say that if you put a frog into a pot of boiling water,
it will leap out right away to escape the danger.
But, if you put a frog in a kettle that is filled with water that is cool and pleasant,
and then you gradually heat the kettle until it starts boiling,
the frog will not become aware of the threat until it is too late.
The frog's survival instincts are geared towards detecting sudden changes.

This is a story that is used to illustrate how people might get themselves into terrible trouble.
This parable is often used to illustrate how humans have to be careful to watch slowly changing trends in the environment, not just the sudden changes. Its a warning to keep us paying attention not just to obvious threats but to more slowly developing ones.

An example:
Let's say that every year, the local well had an inch less of water in it. A person might realize there's a problem if there's suddenly NO water, but a slowly dropping level might not be an obvious crisis until it's too late!
================================================================
So what are you suggesting?

That if we let Amazon get away with charging the same taxes as the stroe down the street, it is only a matter of time before we will be asked to pay LETHAL TAXES?

This sounds like Libertarian "logic". Now tell us that we live in a Republic, not a Democracy.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Bottom line is if you like something on Amazon just check Ebay before you order. Nine out of ten times you can get the same item for the same price or less. Also Ebay almost never charges for shipping and never tax. I bought an item once for $1 and it was shipped free. Same thing on Amazon was $12 and $4 shipping charge.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
================================================================
So what are you suggesting?

That if we let Amazon get away with charging the same taxes as the stroe down the street, it is only a matter of time before we will be asked to pay LETHAL TAXES?

This sounds like Libertarian "logic". Now tell us that we live in a Republic, not a Democracy.

Sure thing X.

You never met a tax you didn't like. Prog logic.

Aug 6, 2006
No, it is not "prog logic" it is ME pointing out "teabagger logic".

I do not like taxes any more than anyone else. I avoid paying tolls, I never buy lottery tickets. I do not love taxes. I realize that taxes can provide things better through government than private industry. I imagine my water bill if I had to pay 59? a gallon for it. I imagine paying a toll every time I drive over a bridge.

But Amazon charging sales tax is never going to become lethal, like hot water is for the fabled frog. I have heard the frog and hot water analogy at last count about a thousand times, just as I have heard the "another Munich" comment. Fresh analogies are like good poetry. Tired old analogies are like awful poetry. Libertarians, I have found, have about a dozen such analogies that they repeat as if by rote.

This particular one, with the frog and the hot water, is another version of the logical fallacy called "slippery slope", by the way. A fallacy is an untruth presented as a great truth.

If we allow this tax, we will soon be taxed to death.
If we allow them to make us register our bazookas, soon we will have to register Red Ryder BB guns and cap pistols.

Libertarians are not the only ones to use logical fallacies, but they like to harp on only a few and the frog and hot water one is a favorite. I suppose it gives a warm and fuzzy feeling when they use it. I thought it was clever on March 12, 1962, the first time I heard it. I also thought Little Moron jokes were funny at one time.

Just google "logical fallacies" anyone can do better than frog & hot water and Munich.

It does not impress.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
No, it is not "prog logic" it is ME pointing out "teabagger logic".

I do not like taxes any more than anyone else. I avoid paying tolls, I never buy lottery tickets. I do not love taxes. I realize that taxes can provide things better through government than private industry. I imagine my water bill if I had to pay 59? a gallon for it. I imagine paying a toll every time I drive over a bridge.

But Amazon charging sales tax is never going to become lethal, like hot water is for the fabled frog. I have heard the frog and hot water analogy at last count about a thousand times, just as I have heard the "another Munich" comment. Fresh analogies are like good poetry. Tired old analogies are like awful poetry. Libertarians, I have found, have about a dozen such analogies that they repeat as if by rote.

This particular one, with the frog and the hot water, is another version of the logical fallacy called "slippery slope", by the way. A fallacy is an untruth presented as a great truth.

If we allow this tax, we will soon be taxed to death.
If we allow them to make us register our bazookas, soon we will have to register Red Ryder BB guns and cap pistols.

Libertarians are not the only ones to use logical fallacies, but they like to harp on only a few and the frog and hot water one is a favorite. I suppose it gives a warm and fuzzy feeling when they use it. I thought it was clever on March 12, 1962, the first time I heard it. I also thought Little Moron jokes were funny at one time.

Just google "logical fallacies" anyone can do better than frog & hot water and Munich.

It does not impress.

An angry Prog is undone by a metaphor.

You forgot to add "It's for the children."

Aug 6, 2006
Better metaphors are needed.

I never say "It's for the children" and that is not a metaphor.

The Florida Lottery likes to remind losers how much of their losses benefit education. There are two themes to their billboards. One tells you how big the jackpots are for this week. the other tells us how much the lottery has benefited schools.

I am not against the lottery: it is voluntary taxes. Or, a tax on those who do not understand mathematics. You can look at either way. I bought have bought three tickets since the 1980's. One gave me another ticket., Big whoop, a losing ticket. I bought the other two because I had a GF who was convinced that, based on her beliefs in numerology and her trusty calculator, I HAD to win. The time and place of my purchase, as well as the numbers, were carefully calculated. It must have taken her an hour.

I didn't. It was worth the $4 just to shut her up.

Once, she won $50. But after spending several hundred.

drtampa

Bronze
Oct 1, 2004
New Ulm, TX
ebay sales tax.
I purchased a $5.00 item from a guy in Oklahoma shipped to me in Texas.
He charged $.41 tax on the item.
I questioned the sales tax. He had a feed back score of 39. He began selling on ebay this year and registered for ebay to charge and pay sales tax on all of his sold items.
I was not happy and my feed back showed it.

Sosua Sonny

Dec 30, 2013
ebay sales tax.
I purchased a $5.00 item from a guy in Oklahoma shipped to me in Texas.
He charged $.41 tax on the item.
I questioned the sales tax. He had a feed back score of 39. He began selling on ebay this year and registered for ebay to charge and pay sales tax on all of his sold items.
I was not happy and my feed back showed it.

$0.41 cents and you gave him a bad feedback.. Glad I don't have or need customers like you. Apparently you have no idea what bad feedback does to online sellers. In future just email the seller and he will reimburse you the $0.41 so you can buy a half pack of gum.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I USED to by my cigars from an internet site in Miami.
Then I started having to pay Florida stae tax on them, end result, I stopped.
So now they don't get my taxes, OR my business.
"Liberal Prog Logic"!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC