Amazon to Collect Sales Tax in Florida

drtampa

Bronze
Oct 1, 2004
New Ulm, TX
I have been an ebay buyer/seller for 15 years. My largest sale $28,000. I do not charge state sales tax to anyone and I would not opt to do so.
I average about 400 transactions per year on ebay.
i asked the seller if he would refund the .41 on principle, he said no.

Sosua Sonny

Dec 30, 2013
I have been an ebay buyer/seller for 15 years. My largest sale $28,000. I do not charge state sales tax to anyone and I would not opt to do so.

That makes it even worse as you are an online seller as well so you are aware what bad feedback means to an online business. If in your mind a $0.41 cent refund that is not in your favour warrants a negative feedback is okay with you then enough said.

As a seller it is your choice whether to charge sales tax or not. IRS has a long memory. Do not be surprised 5 years down the road when they come knocking on your door for back taxes. eBay and Amazon does share financial information with the IRS. A $28,000 sale will bring attention to your account. But what do I know. I just do 700 transactions a week online.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
Better metaphors are needed.

I never say "It's for the children" and that is not a metaphor.

The frog in the water is a metaphor and it's a good one. I'll use it again. Stay alert. Keep your powder dry.

"It's for the children" is not a metaphor, in your hands it's a straw man.

Aug 6, 2006
The frog in the water is a metaphor and it's a good one. I'll use it again. Stay alert. Keep your powder dry.

"It's for the children" is not a metaphor, in your hands it's a straw man.

=========================================================
You have the right to use it again and again and again.
You have the right to make people wish you had exercised your right to remain silent.

I made no mention of "the children" and that is not a straw man expression, either. Look it up.

Aug 6, 2006
Actually the buyer has no obligation to pay the sales tax. The SELLER has an obligation to pay the sales tax on his sales. He can pay the tax out of his own pocket. Nothing is stopping him from doing this. The seller can collect the sales tax as a condition of the sale, but he has no legal obligation to do more than to pay the sales tax.

Aug 6, 2006
Sales taxes are not liberal or progressive taxes. There are 50 states and only two, Oregon and NH have no sales tax. Every red state has a sales tax. The sales tax is not a progressive tax. As a rule, liberals favor income taxes. The current governor of FL, Rick Scott, a Republican who bought the election in 2010, has stated that he wants to create jobs by cutting taxes. Never, not even once, has Rick Scott said he wants to cut the state sales tax. He is even for charging sales tax to Florodians who buy from Amazon.

Aug 6, 2006
I USED to by my cigars from an internet site in Miami.
Then I started having to pay Florida stae tax on them, end result, I stopped.
So now they don't get my taxes, OR my business.
"Liberal Prog Logic"!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Sales taxes are not liberal or progressive taxes. There are 50 states and only two, Oregon and NH have no sales tax. Every red state has a sales tax. The sales tax is not a progressive tax. As a rule, liberals favor income taxes. The current governor of FL, Rick Scott, a Republican who bought the election in 2010, has stated that he wants to create jobs by cutting taxes. Never, not even once, has Rick Scott said he wants to cut the state sales tax. He is even for charging sales tax to Floridians who buy from Amazon.
xxxxxxxxx

SEO

Aug 3, 2012
how do you ship item from dr to us with tracking ??

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Reminder - this thread is about how Florida's sales tax affects DR buyers.

Anything else will be deleted.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
how do you ship item from dr to us with tracking ??
you go to a main post office of the Dominican Republic and to the window for Certified mail ..

although what that has to do with sales tax in Florida, I do not know.

For those who actually get BOOKS from Amazon, i can report that I have had them shipped directly door to door here in the DR. So they would not collect sales tax on that. The shipping charge is rough, though. I did have a CD missing once on an order.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Just ordered a "sold by XX fulfilled by Amazon". No tax.

I used to prefer the in-stock sold by Amazon for ease of resolution if there was a problem, but now the sold by/fulfilled by is looking pretty good.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Just ordered a "sold by XX fulfilled by Amazon". No tax.

I used to prefer the in-stock sold by Amazon for ease of resolution if there was a problem, but now the sold by/fulfilled by is looking pretty good.

Good idea Ken. Amazon stands behind these sellers anyway.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Good idea Ken. Amazon stands behind these sellers anyway.

Yes, they do. It is a little easier if Amazon is the seller should you have a problem, but seller response faster than if you were dealing only with the seller.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I just placed an order with Amazon.com and at check out it indicated zero sales tax and my shipping address and billing address are both in Florida.
Der Fish

Is Amazon the seller, or was the item sold by XX fulfilled by Amazon. Tax charged only when Amazon is the actual seller.

toriemannetje

Aug 30, 2013
ebay sales tax.
I purchased a $5.00 item from a guy in Oklahoma shipped to me in Texas.
He charged $.41 tax on the item.
I questioned the sales tax. He had a feed back score of 39. He began selling on ebay this year and registered for ebay to charge and pay sales tax on all of his sold items.
I was not happy and my feed back showed it.

did i just read 41 thousand or 41 cents???