Amended Bar closing times

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beads

Bronze
May 21, 2006
so Mangu will be closed also? They are owned by the resort and therefore part of it. I guess we shall have to wait and see. Maybe some new "permits" will appear soon to be purchased to allow late night drinking.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
well Mangu's is open to the public and therefore 'public' not 'private.'

In either case, any cop can decide on his own and make up the interpretation as he sees fit. Thats the way it is here. But some pesos will probably make him go away.

Beads

Bronze
May 21, 2006
If they allow one place to stay open and not another people will try favoritism so I doubt this will work either. Also places not selling booze are bign forced to close too making everywhere a ghost town. Its basically a person curfew disguised as liquor curfew. If all the tourists start wandering the streets anyhow drinking beer they buy during the day itll defeat the curfew. I mean what will the military/police do with 100's of tourists who cant understand them doing as they please?

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
I mean what will the military/police do with 100's of tourists who cant understand them doing as they please?

I mean what will 100's of tourists do surrounded by military/police armed with automatic weapons, shotguns and billy clubs, who can't understand them doing as they pleased?

Beads

Bronze
May 21, 2006
I mean what will 100's of tourists do surrounded by military/police armed with automatic weapons, shotguns and billy clubs, who can't understand them doing as they pleased?

Id just sit there and drink! I pose no threat to them they have a gun. Im just sitting drinking a beer and whatever they tell me ill pretend I dont understand.

I have found this works wonders. They always pretend they dont understand english if they dont like what they hear. I use this on venders and police and anyone else when I hear them say something I dont like. Just give them a dumb look and pretend you have no idea what their saying. They tend to get frustrated and eventually go away.

I look forward to wandering the streets late at night in a few weeks with a beer in my hand. Ill pretend to speak some language that doesnt exist and know only 1 spanish phrase "No Comprende". Ill wear shorts and a very colorful shirt to stand out like a tourist and just wander around in drunken stupor !

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Id just sit there and drink! I pose no threat to them they have a gun. Im just sitting drinking a beer and whatever they tell me ill pretend I dont understand.

I have found this works wonders. They always pretend they dont understand english if they dont like what they hear. I use this on venders and police and anyone else when I hear them say something I dont like. Just give them a dumb look and pretend you have no idea what their saying. They tend to get frustrated and eventually go away.

You obviously haven't seen them making rounds at closing time. They are not fooling around. The bar owner will see that the customers comply, as he doesn't want his business impounded. They usually give a few minutes warning while they check the next bar, but once they return, they see that the place is emptied and locked. I guess you can sit in a locked, empty bar with no music, lights or bartender if you want to make a point.

Beads

Bronze
May 21, 2006
You obviously haven't seen them making rounds at closing time. They are not fooling around. The bar owner will see that the customers comply, as he doesn't want his business impounded. They usually give a few minutes warning while they check the next bar, but once they return, they see that the place is emptied and locked. I guess you can sit in a locked, empty bar with no music, lights or bartender if you want to make a point.

what about leaving the bar with your drink and congregating outside?

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
what about leaving the bar with your drink and congregating outside?

Expect to be questioned who you are, where you are going and have your drink confiscated. Probably searched for a weapon and drugs also if you look suspicious or give them a hassle. There have been reports of a few thousand people detained for further investigation since this all began. My guess is that if you look like a tourist they will simply take your drink and make sure you move on.
DR1 News 8/14/06 said:
13. Police jail hundreds
The police have announced that 829 of the 2,373 people who were detained have been sent to jail for further investigation because they "had pending issues with the Justice Department". During the 18 days since the issue of the Presidential decrees that limited the sale of liquor, increased police presence on the streets and included military elements for foot patrols, there has been a decrease in criminal activity, according to a police press release. The Chief of Police, Bernardo Santana Paez, said that of the 2,373 people detained, some 500 have been cleared, 829 were sent to jail because of pending issues, and the rest are still under investigation. According to El Caribe, the police have carried out 2,400 car searches, and 71 vehicles have been seized for lack of proper documentation. The report also lists the weapons, motorcycles and drugs caught up in the sweeps.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
It's easy to act tough on a message board about what you'd do.

It's tougher when a guy in a uniform and a big a$$ gun confronts you.

I'm not even sure you get one phone call from a DR jail.

Would you?

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Tourists are not looking for problems, confrontations or anything close to that. They will just stay on the AI resorts and drink and party.

Beads: are you even in this country? People seem to be quite accepting of what is going on. The only upsets and confrontations I have seen are those who shouldn't be out in the first place or have something to hide! Most people just abide by the new rules and know in time things will go back to the way they were!

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off"></TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
You obviously haven't seen them making rounds at closing time. They are not fooling around.

I have been in Santo Domingo for 5 nights and at midnight the bars close! As Howmar said "They are not fooling around". I was in a bar Monday night and at midnight to music stopped in the middle of the song, the lights came on and everyone left.

It is really not that bad with the early closing. The city gets nice and quiet at night.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I'm not even sure you get one phone call from a DR jail.

Would you?

Well..........the first question is, does the jail actually have a phone? If you have your own you could probably use it, if it hadn't been taken from you already, that is.

Beads are you a tourist? Most of the residents here keep themselves as far away from jails and police stations as possible, unless they have to get involved in extricating someone else.

'Testing the system' might seem to you to be a fun thing to do, but there would doubtless be unforeseen consequences. Really, it isn't worth it. Could cost you a whole heap of money.

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
They will just stay on the AI resorts and drink and party.

My case in point. The good ole AIs clubs where you "pay". Oh boy....jing jing that register is ringing again. They will be exempt from this law.

Hold on, wait a minute I better get to my end of the pool because I am over my head. I know darn well what I am posting about. Other's (for whatever their reasoning) are the ones that do not or will not understand.

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
A good field trip

'Testing the system' might seem to you to be a fun thing to do, but there would doubtless be unforeseen consequences. Really, it isn't worth it. Could cost you a whole heap of money.[/QUOTE]

Take some of these tourists, unkowing ex-pats and message board tough guys to a Dominican jail and let them spend the day and night there. No, I have not ever been in one as a prisoner but I have gone there with the military when they performed raids of mafia hang outs. The ones that are screaming bloody murder? You got that right, the stupid tourists!!! Nasty places I must say.

Last edited:

Everett

Jun 8, 2006
Please don't flame me for saying this but I think the new drinking laws are a pretty good idea. It sure is quieter at night from reports all over the country. Many other civilized countries have closing laws why not the DR?
I'm not entirely convinced that crime is directly related to alcohol but, let's face it, people are not at their best armed with a .45 and head full of rum.
I think economic misery is at the heart of much of the crime of this world but who asked me?
Spending the night in the pokey as opposed to a comfortable bed at home is not a very good option. Buy a bottle of Ron Anejo, a couple of cokes and have the bar at your hotel lay up some ice and make a party there.
Or get to know your neighbors and have them over for a nightcap.

Beads

Bronze
May 21, 2006
im not trying to be tough. I certainly wouldnt act tough in front a group of armed men. I would however act drunker and pretend to not understand more if I felt like it. I am not inside the country but will be shortly. Yes I am a tourist and will certainly be dressed like one if I intend on being out after curfew! (shorts, sandles and bright colorful hawaiian shirt!)

They are more than welcome to search me as I have nothing to hide.

Right now all this curfew sounds horrible as I like to be out when im on vacation until around 2am every night. I dont have to work in the morning and 7 hrs sleep is plenty for me. I end up sleeping more on the beach during the day also if I am still tired.

See the difference in hours is if I go to sleep at midnight ill be up at 6 in the morning! Im on vacation and dont need to be up that early. Id like to sleep in a bit and relax. I dont like the all inclusives and think if the DR is a democracy people deserve to be allowed outside any time of the day and not be hassled.

Just my 0.02

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Mas Tranquilo

.... I like to be out when im on vacation until around 2am every night. I dont have to work in the morning and 7 hrs sleep is plenty for me. I end up sleeping more on the beach during the day also if I am still tired.
All good for you.
The majority of people, however, who happen to live here are not holidaymakers. They and their children need to get some sleep and feel more secure if late night drunkards aren't around to stray the barrio with 'balas perdidas' for fun.

m'frog

Status
Not open for further replies.