Amendment Proposed to Immigration Law

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Surely this could only apply to Haitians and not anyone else who illegally enters the DR. I saw this on another DR forum:

Surely with deported and returning Haitians in mind, this amendment to the Immigration Law 285-04 is proposed:

Bill seeks to imprison and fine undocumented repeat offenders in the DR

https://www.diariolibre.com/actualidad/ … es/1843154

The project to amend the General Migration Law 285-04, authored by Senator Carlos Gómez , seeks to define and punish the illegal entry of foreigners into Dominican territory on the understanding that migratory regulation and control in the country is a right inalienable and sovereign of the State, for which the government must guide its migration policy towards strengthening the legal entry of foreigners and the control of irregular immigration.

The conditions of entry, permanence and exit of foreigners in the national territory, as well as those of exit and return of nationals from or to the national territory are established in the General Law of Migration and in the regulations of application of said legislation.

A press release from the legislator of the Espaillat province, Carlos Gómez, establishes in the recitals of the initiative, that "the presence of foreigners in national territory is regulated so that everyone must be under a condition of legality in the country. ”, in addition that “ the conditions of entry, permanence and exit of foreigners in the national territory, as well as those of exit and return of nationals from or to the national territory are established in the General Law of Migration and in the regulations of application of said legislation.

The bill to modify the law establishes as illegal re-entry “when any foreigner enters, attempts to enter or is at any time in the territory of the Dominican Republic without the approval of the corresponding authorities after being denied admission, is expelled, deported or left the country while there was a pending removal or deportation order.”

It also considers as a crime the illegal re-entry of a foreigner to the Dominican Republic, when he has been the subject of a process of inadmission, deportation and expulsion from Dominican territory, without having the proper authorization from the competent agencies, sanctioning, according to evaluation of the circumstances that gave rise to the non-admission, deportation and expulsion from Dominican territory, and taking into consideration whether or not the person who re-enters illegally has a criminal record in the Dominican Republic, with fines ranging from two to one hundred minimum wages and / or imprisonment of fifteen days up to five years.

In the event that the person who re-enters illegally does not have a criminal record, he or she will be sanctioned with fines ranging from two to twenty minimum wages in the public sector or with fifteen to ninety days in prison, both penalties being imposed at the same time. .

In the event that a foreigner, without the approval of the corresponding agencies, after being convicted of committing a crime or crime that gave rise to deportation or expulsion, re-enters the Dominican Republic illegally, he or she will be sanctioned with fines. ranging from ten to one hundred salaries in the public sector or prison from two years to ten years in prison, or both sentences at the same time.

Senator Gómez's project establishes that any person who, after being convicted of illegal re-entry into the Dominican Republic, enters again without having obtained authorization from the corresponding authorities, will be "sanctioned with double the sentence previously imposed."

Just another indication the current politicians want tougher immigration control and penalties.

Few overstayers have been denied re-entry but there are occasional cases and they would no doubt be sanctioned if they re-enter without a visa if this amendment gets signed into law.

Reactions: AlaPlaya

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Another post from a DR related forum:

The problems earlier this week at Ciudad Juan Bosch in Santo Domingo has stirred a hornets nest:

Director of Migration recommends illegal foreigners in the DR to go to their country without causing problems

https://noticiassin.com/provincias/dire … as-1276626

The General Director of Migration, Enrique García, recommended that foreigners who are illegally in the Dominican Republic go to their country to avoid problems, after the incident that occurred in Ciudad Juan Bosch where the institution he directs carried out an operation as a result of a confrontation between Haitians and agents of the entity.

"The incident in Ciudad Juan Bosch is something that should never have happened, it is unfortunate that some illegal aliens are taking these actions that are painful for everyone," he said.

He reiterated that he has always stated that the General Directorate of Migration respects human rights and due process, but that they will not allow disrespect for authority.

“We are not going to allow disrespect for authority, we are a free and independent country that has every right to expel any illegal foreigner and we are never going to give that up,” he emphasized.

He argued that if foreigners face authority, they will face authority. “Whoever is not legal in the country, we recommend that they leave the country and not look for major problems,” he indicated.

Illegal immigration is front centre yet again and whilst this is about Haitians, they have to apply the same to all foreigners so there will be other examples being set even if few.

Reactions: AlaPlaya

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
"The incident in Ciudad Juan Bosch is something that should never have happened, it is unfortunate that some illegal aliens are taking these actions that are painful for everyone," he said.

He reiterated that he has always stated that the General Directorate of Migration respects human rights and due process, but that they will not allow disrespect for authority.

“We are not going to allow disrespect for authority, we are a free and independent country that has every right to expel any illegal foreigner and we are never going to give that up,” he emphasized.
Lol old boy! You are obsessed. No one actually reads but you can see you deliberately changed this translation to read your favorite term, illegal aliens. I almost spit out my beer. You are too much. In Spanish they do not use that term and in the article where you changed to illegal alien, it read illegal foreigners. Extranjero illegal.

You're too much. Lmao

• Haha
Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Tut tut Magoo....

go back and ask LT Steve to read you the post in the other forum (#1319).....

Windy copied it verbatim - changed nothing.....too bad you wasted that mouthful of beer

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Lol old boy! You are obsessed. No one actually reads but you can see you deliberately changed this translation to read your favorite term, illegal aliens. I almost spit out my beer. You are too much. In Spanish they do not use that term and in the article where you changed to illegal alien, it read illegal foreigners. Extranjero illegal.

You're too much. Lmao
I did not do the translation at all. It was posted on another forum and translated there. You have a problem reading where I stated it was posted on another forum. It was a cut and paste from that forum , I changed nothing.

By the way, an illegal alien is an illegal alien, Haitian or Gringo. Illegal Gringos get special treatment.

• Haha
Reactions: El Hijo de Manolo

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Winded plays the expat scene bars where 75% of the patrons are overstayers. I wonder if he is going to call Immigration on his next gig!
75%? Probably 99%. including virtually all of the musicians! Migracion would have a field day if they only enforced the laws as written.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
By the way, my personal position is for Migracion to provide a simple 6 month snowbird visa which also allows people to legally drive for that 6 month period.
Violate that 6 months and you face actual penalties like not being able to come back.

For some reason, they cannot seem to come up with this.

As for what others do, that is not up to me. Their risk, not mine. So far that risk is almost if not zero if you are a gringo from a tourist card country.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
And I still don't see any motivation from their side to change it. Would we like it better? Sure, but we don't vote often.
Neither do I. Post pandemic they still have Haiti to think about first and foremost. There simply aren't enough such people for them to really care one way or another.

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
Vegas, welcome back! But...you're dating yourself. Wasn't that popular in about 1965? And yes, I remember. I'm pretty sure I had the 45.
Mr. NanSanPedro:
Thank you.
It does not date you. It only means you have good taste in music.
I am a DJ and I have been sampling that song and scratching it since I was in college. A classic piece of music. I know music from all time periods. I was listening to Mozart yesterday. So old does that make me?
LOL!
I'm blasting drill music right now brother.
You are only as old as you feel.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
"And the beat goes on" - The Whispers

Just like windeguy's posts, everlasting
You noticed! Well, there ya go. And I didn't even create the content. The DR government did that.

By the way, it is about new laws, not the same old, same old.

Kricke87

Feb 16, 2021
Sosúa
To go back to topic.
Yes, this seems to be directed towards Haitians, and it's even interesting in the second article, where it actually refers to Haitians, they still don't say "Go back home to Haiti", but instead "recomienda a los extranjeros ilegales en RD marcharse a su país". Although EVERYBODY knows that they refer to Haitians, to still be "politically correct", they don't say it out in the open. :rolleyes:

But yes, this could become applicable for everyone else, because according to the law it shouldn't matter if you are European, American or any other nationality or Haitian, if you are here illegally you should be sanctioned just as the law stipulates.
Although the main difference between Haitians and "gringos" is that Haitians cannot get any 30 days tourist visa, but have to apply for any of the other visas.
And although I decided to go the residency and then citizenship route, I can 100% understand if someone would not want to go there, as it's annoying. Currently, it's not even worth paying $500 (it might have changed) every year to be here legally if no one really cares and if you only need to pay like $150 if you just leave.
And I agree with Windy on this, there should be some sort of 6-month visa for those who don't want to reside here and work but just wants to stay and just have a good time and add to the economy.