American Breakfast in Santiago?????

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
My first thought was for you to go back to Georgia.

Obviously, you know very little about this country and your taste buds are accustomed to the fat food (yes, I left out the 's') style that has the US population so grotesquely obese. Yes, I have enjoyed Denny's once, I think. I read somewhere that Denny's has a 4,500 calorie breakfast....OMG!

That said, you can get bacon and eggs, toast and good coffee (not the watered down dish water from Starbucks or Dunkin D)
at a very reasonable price.(Supermercado Central on 27 de Febrero) There is a breakfast place on Ave. Texas that will make you sausage and eggs and toast. Grits you need to import, easy to do.

Of course, you could cook your own, since all of the ingredients (even blueberries) are available at Nacional Supermarket.

As I sit down to sunny side up eggs, bacon, toast (whole wheat), orange juice and great organic, mountain grown Oliva Family coffee...I will think of you....

And you are right, Presidentes and pretty faces (and axxes) are not enough.

(ever since that trial, I have never been able to use OJ for orange juice!)

Happy HB==>who also enjoys eggs, fried salami, boiled plantains and onions with coffee and orange juice.

hey, HB, there are some pretty grotesquely obese people here, too. most women who have hit forty look like a Brugal barrel. i guess it is all that platano and yuca, washed down with gallons of beer.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Yeah, well, quicky deserts...;)
i was just ribbing you. i bought out half the Knox gelatin in Playero, for exactly that purpose. heck, it is 38 pesos per box, as opposed to 140 in Jose Luis. need some? 100 pesos sounds about right....just kidding. if it is expensive where you are, i can hook you up with a stash

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
i was just ribbing you. i bought out half the Knox gelatin in Playero, for exactly that purpose. heck, it is 38 pesos per box, as opposed to 140 in Jose Luis. need some? 100 pesos sounds about right....just kidding. if it is expensive where you are, i can hook you up with a stash
There are no-bake semi-cheesecake kits on the store shelves. While not even close to the real thing, they are fairly tasty for what they are. Mix, pour in a premade crust mix, pour some cherry pie filling after being in the fridge for a while, then let "harden." makes a decent desert, but not like a real NY cheesecake. More like a cheesecake pie.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
There are no-bake semi-cheesecake kits on the store shelves. While not even close to the real thing, they are fairly tasty for what they are. Mix, pour in a premade crust mix, pour some cherry pie filling after being in the fridge for a while, then let "harden." makes a decent desert, but not like a real NY cheesecake. More like a cheesecake pie.

which stores? i have never seen one. my problem is also that i have never seen Cool Whip, and all good no-bakes need it.

real NY cheesecake? wanna trade some Jimmy Dean for the best NY cheesecake in the DR?

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
FWIW: the best bacon I've found in the DR or anywhere is in the meat department at La Sirena. Sliced and barely smoked-it's not particularly salty-it's excellent.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
FWIW: the best bacon I've found in the DR or anywhere is in the meat department at La Sirena. Sliced and barely smoked-it's not particularly salty-it's excellent.

then you have not tried the stuff at playero in Sosua. to die for. there are two types..you need the slightly cheaper version.
really good stuff. 114 pesos per lb.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I'm from South Carolina so I can appreciate grits. Not surprisingly yellow grits can be found here in the DR in many supermarkets. Dominicans prepare it sweet while Haitians do it just like back home. Now I think I'll go out today and gets some to eat with my eggs and bacon tomorrow.

Redscot

Dec 10, 2004
I agree with the do it yourself approach here. Quality ingredients readily available and you will spend less too.

Square One at the Shell gas station in front of the PUCCM has a "diner" feel to it and you can get just about any type of omellete/eggs etc.

craigP

Dec 4, 2012
My first thought was for you to go back to Georgia. Thank you for resisting the impulse to state the obvious :)

Last edited:

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
Square One at the Shell gas station in front of the PUCCM has a "diner" feel to it and you can get just about any type of omellete/eggs etc.

I second Square 1 - perhaps the best breakfast option in Santiago, and its 24 hours too.

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
CraigP.Head over to the restaurant in the Hotel Gran Almirante. They will make an omelette , pancakes any thing you want, right in front of you. They have crispy bacon and decent sausage as well.

craigP

Dec 4, 2012
CraigP.Head over to the restaurant in the Hotel Gran Almirante. They will make an omelette , pancakes any thing you want, right in front of you. They have crispy bacon and decent sausage as well.
I Literally am going there right now, and I will check out that " Shell" station mentioned here by the university later this week, I pass it all the time. thank you

craigP

Dec 4, 2012
Thank goodness I called first - breakfast is from 6-11, but I will sure be there tomorrow!!!!!

Last edited:

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
For bacon & eggs home cooked in Las Terrenas go first to Lindo and buy either smoked or salt cured bacon good stuff (tocineta), Integral bread (wholemeal) and imported french salt butter. Don't buy their eggs at RDS 90 for 12 tiny little things from poullets or bantams. Go to a Dominican colmado for good sized ones at RDS72 for 12. Sorry can't help with grits ,I don't even know what they are. Lindo's Lipton tea bags make a decent cuppa tea. As our cousins across the channel say - bon appetit.

jinty05

Bronze
Feb 11, 2005
La Campagna on Rafael Vidal does a very decent breakfast and their coffee is superb but I have European tastes and it might not be to your American liking.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
what on earth is this grits thingy? sounds like something i put in a litter box so my cats can s**t in it. fresh step, it's called. large bag costs about 500 pesos.

i eat mangu, platanos, yuka, fried cheese and other dominican staples. but for me there is no better breakfast than large sandwich with white cheese, kielbasa, radish and freshly pickled cucumber. followed by hot tea with lemon and raspberry syrup.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
what on earth is this grits thingy? sounds like something i put in a litter box so my cats can s**t in it. fresh step, it's called. large bag costs about 500 pesos.

i eat mangu, platanos, yuka, fried cheese and other dominican staples. but for me there is no better breakfast than large sandwich with white cheese, kielbasa, radish and freshly pickled cucumber. followed by hot tea with lemon and raspberry syrup.

you eat that fried white cheese? now i am not so sure if i am still madly in love with you. darn; if it ain't one thing, it's another!