American Breakfast in Santiago?????

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
I have tried the IHOP and Denny's here in the Capital, it is ok but not like back in the US and that is not saying much either. As others have said better to make it at home. Most breakfasts I have eaten out for me are really greasy. I have grown accustom to hard boiled eggs for breakfast with toast.

kampinge

Jan 18, 2012
My last gasp effort - I have moved here from the states (Atlanta,GA) about two months now and well quite frankly, this food thing is beginning to drive me nuts. I am sick to death of rice and chicken, rice and chuleta! Rice and rice, yucca and fried egg!!! just the other day I tried to explain to a friend what collard greens are! my most desperate effort is to find an American style restaurant that serves bacon, sausage, pancakes ( with blueberries please, pretty please??!!), western omelets, decent REGULAR BLACK coffee ( and do I dare dream??) grits with cheese, can anyone suggest such a place? I have scoured the internet for days on American breakfast in DR, closest I came was the Denny's in SD and nothing else. DR1 is my last opp. I did not realize that the food choices here would be so limited, I am also ashamed to admit - but lately I have been thinking of giving this up and going back home as visions of Denny's and IHOP, spareribs and mac n cheez and chicken fried in FLOUR dance through my head. I am hungry!!!!! HELP!!!!! :lick:
Have you tried FRIDAY at the Gran Admirante Hotel Estrella Sadhala?

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
I am thinking like Hillbilly. I think a gringo needs at least 1300 posts on DR1 before they are allowed to move to The DR.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
what on earth is this grits thingy? sounds like something i put in a litter box so my cats can s**t in it. fresh step, it's called. large bag costs about 500 pesos.

i eat mangu, platanos, yuka, fried cheese and other dominican staples. but for me there is no better breakfast than large sandwich with white cheese, kielbasa, radish and freshly pickled cucumber. followed by hot tea with lemon and raspberry syrup.

It's finely ground corn meal, cooked up like a farina or an oatmeal breakfast. Southern US cooking. Didn't you see "My Cousin Vinny"? :confused: Think of a looser polenta :)

I love mangu when it's made right, yuca any way it's made, fried cheese is delish. In 4 decades I haven't found one Dominican who can cook eggs right, the yolks are always dry - I do it myself. I can't eat boiled platanos. We tried the little Dominican sausages for breakfast, but yuck and too salty.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
It's finely ground corn meal, cooked up like a farina or an oatmeal breakfast. Southern US cooking. Didn't you see "My Cousin Vinny"? :confused: Think of a looser polenta :)

I love mangu when it's made right, yuca any way it's made, fried cheese is delish. In 4 decades I haven't found one Dominican who can cook eggs right, the yolks are always dry - I do it myself. I can't eat boiled platanos. We tried the little Dominican sausages for breakfast, but yuck and too salty.

do you mean those red things that bear a slight resemblance to sausage links? are you telling me that they were meant to be eaten? who knew?

May 29, 2006
As far as I know, Jimmy Dean type sausage with natural casings can't be found in the DR. If you want "normal" coffee, you have to get your own coffee maker. Grits? Good luck. Maybe experiment with Masa Harina Blanca? You can find the crappy "Brown and Serve" sausage, but you'll find yourself hating them since they only make you want the real stuff more. No Stucky's anywhere in the DR and if you start talking about *biscuits*, you are more likely to be pointed to some boxed cookies.

One thing I found was that it wasn't the big things I missed when I was living in the DR. It was certain spices and foods, some of which I hadn't had in years, but when you live abroad, you end up getting odd cravings. There are numerous threads of the items that are difficult to find. Have you tried to make chili yet? Chili Powder might be hard to find. For some reason, I got to Jonesing for Slim JIms and Beef Jerky.

I used Bisquick for pancakes in the DR(and also hush puppies). I hear faint rumors that real maple syrup is available on occasion, but it's not cheap. I think you can get imported frozen blueberries. They aren't grown in the DR. There are very few Dominicans that would know what a blueberry is.

Here is my recipe for Chicken Fingers, but I'm not sure if Buttermilk is available in the DR.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AlL6yHkghAxFdGozd1lNWUhuVlFKZ09iNnBzNV9rWFE#gid=0

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
you eat that fried white cheese? now i am not so sure if i am still madly in love with you. darn; if it ain't one thing, it's another!

you mean queso frito? hell, of course i eat it and i LOVE it. :) sooner or later you will ask for my hand in marriage, i just know it ;)

I used Bisquick for pancakes in the DR(and also hush puppies). I hear faint rumors that real maple syrup is available on occasion, but it's not cheap. I think you can get imported frozen blueberries. They aren't grown in the DR. There are very few Dominicans that would know what a blueberry is.
Here is my recipe for Chicken Fingers, but I'm not sure if Buttermilk is available in the DR.

fresh blueberries are available from la sirena, something like 250 pesos per small box. we bought real maple syrup in SD and it was very expensive. no buttermilk in DR, very little in terms of any milk products i know from home (luckily i hate all that stuff).

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
As far as I know, Jimmy Dean type sausage with natural casings can't be found in the DR. If you want "normal" coffee, you have to get your own coffee maker. Grits? Good luck. Maybe experiment with Masa Harina Blanca? You can find the crappy "Brown and Serve" sausage, but you'll find yourself hating them since they only make you want the real stuff more. No Stucky's anywhere in the DR and if you start talking about *biscuits*, you are more likely to be pointed to some boxed cookies.

One thing I found was that it wasn't the big things I missed when I was living in the DR. It was certain spices and foods, some of which I hadn't had in years, but when you live abroad, you end up getting odd cravings. There are numerous threads of the items that are difficult to find. Have you tried to make chili yet? Chili Powder might be hard to find. For some reason, I got to Jonesing for Slim JIms and Beef Jerky.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AlL6yHkghAxFdGozd1lNWUhuVlFKZ09iNnBzNV9rWFE#gid=0

Peter, you can make your own buttermilk substitute by putting a teaspoon of vinegar in a cup of milk and letting it sit for something like 30 mins. as to chili powder, i like to use at least 3 types each time, and i have gotten them at La Sirena.

and stop picking on brown and serve, unless you are prepared to tell me where to get Jones Farm.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
you mean queso frito? hell, of course i eat it and i LOVE it. :) sooner or later you will ask for my hand in marriage, i just know it ;)

fresh blueberries are available from la sirena, something like 250 pesos per small box. we bought real maple syrup in SD and it was very expensive. no buttermilk in DR, very little in terms of any milk products i know from home (luckily i hate all that stuff).

i was planning on proposing later this afternoon, but this latest revelation puts a damper on things.

craigP

Dec 4, 2012
Hey you were right about this " Square One" place, I'm here now and the place is packed! Ordering the ' Pancake Platter' . i have my fingers crossed. :)

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
The irony is I get Brown and Serve in the US when it's on sale for a dollar box.

Peter, I'm starting to see a good idea for a business venture: mule-ing down packs of Jones Farm and Jimmy Dean sausages, maybe some Nathans & Hebrew National Franks too. I see a NY Cheesecake in my future if I come up with the salciccia. Do you think the gorgon would come to the south coast, or would I have to deliver up north??

Last trip I brought huge bags [gallon size?] of a bunch of Indian spices that I'd never heard of before for a friend.

This could prove lucrative, no???

NV_

Bronze
Aug 4, 2003
which stores? i have never seen one. my problem is also that i have never seen Cool Whip, and all good no-bakes need it.

real NY cheesecake? wanna trade some Jimmy Dean for the best NY cheesecake in the DR?

They have cool whip in almost all the supermarkets in SD (light, normal, and extra creamy). Not too expensive either.

you eat that fried white cheese? now i am not so sure if i am still madly in love with you. darn; if it ain't one thing, it's another!

You will grow to love this cheese.. lol

I remember my first time trying this squeaky cheese and thinking wtf?!!? Who could eat this crap. After many years and finally frying some myself, I realized its one of the best things dominicans make to eat. Then one day, someone will make you a mangu that blows your socks off and you realize that isnt half as bad as you used to make it out to be.

For those that need maple syrup, Bravo Nu?ez has a few different brands ranging from 500RD to close to 2000RD.

sgtjosephmiller

Jan 7, 2012
you can try inside the hotel grand almarente.the have American breakfast every morning.7 bucks usd as well as the hotel platinum on the estrella saledad

May 29, 2006
Peter, I'm starting to see a good idea for a business venture: mule-ing down packs of Jones Farm and Jimmy Dean sausages, maybe some Nathans & Hebrew National Franks too. I see a NY Cheesecake in my future if I come up with the salciccia. Do you think the gorgon would come to the south coast, or would I have to deliver up north??

Last trip I brought huge bags [gallon size?] of a bunch of Indian spices that I'd never heard of before for a friend.

This could prove lucrative, no???

It would be easier have a local butcher use a spice mix that you bring in and then make the sausages for you in natural casings. Just take this recipe and multiply it for whatever amount you want then have the butcher make up the links for you. I'd start with one pound loose batches at home and then have a butcher make links when you get the recipe right (10 pounds minimum?). You might have to adjust the fat level in the pork..

Use ground pork found at the supermarket (make it lean pork if you like), or grind some up yourself if you have a meat grinder laying around for some good old-fashioned fun. Thanks for the inspiration, Jimmy!

16 ounces ground pork
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
1/4 teaspoon rubbed dried sage
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
1/4 teaspoon MSG (such as Accent Flavor Enhancer)

Maybe I should start exporting spices to the DR. I can get anything you want in up to 25 pound boxes... I know a commercial spice importer/wholesaler. They get most of their spices direct from India in split container loads. Some are still in cryopacks from India, about as fresh as you can get.

Last edited:
May 29, 2006
Another place I order online from. I get the Slim Jim knockoffs which are made from beef hearts. Slim Jims are made from mechanically separated chicken. I think importing meat into the DR could be tricky. Again, you can get the seasoning mix from the prior site and make your own beef sticks or jerky. Knew a guy in Sosua who make his own Jerky and the ex-pats treated the stuff like gold. He was getting about 100 pesos for 1oz hunk.

Jerky : Gourmet Beef Jerky of every type and flavor