American looking to withdraw from atm here n dr ! May be a few thousand

Poetic12

Jan 16, 2013
What if I open a Popular bank account in NY? Will all my transactions be free since its the same bank, but in a different country?

yapask1

Jul 23, 2012
What if I open a Popular bank account in NY? Will all my transactions be free since its the same bank, but in a different country?
i
You better ask them ; last time I had information the two parts of the group were operating as completely separate banks much as Citibank do in different countries.

Last time I asked BP were offering free wire transfers in from any us bank provided the money was not withdrawn within a month or so.

yapask1

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005

Same name, but NOT considered the same bank for fees/transfers. Mine as well be CITI vs JPM.
I have mentioned many times, BofA has free withdrawals from ScotiaBank, I think they are still free.

sgtjosephmiller

Jan 7, 2012
i can tell u this if u have a bank america atm card u can take out up to 39,000 pesos a little less then 1,000 usd from scotia bank.they will not charge you any fees including bank america.scotia is affiliated with ba thats why.best thing going in dr when it comes to atms,they only thing is that you can only take out 10,000 pesos(248 usd)today at one time.so u have to use the atm 4 times.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

NO. Popular bank in NY and Banco Popular in the DR are NOT the same bank despite having similar names.

Any bank in the DR operates under separate rules and regulations from a bank in the USA even if they are owned by the same international umbrella corporation.

nyc dad

Bronze
Jul 28, 2011
i can tell u this if u have a bank america atm card u can take out up to 39,000 pesos a little less then 1,000 usd from scotia bank.they will not charge you any fees including bank america.scotia is affiliated with ba thats why.best thing going in dr when it comes to atms,they only thing is that you can only take out 10,000 pesos(248 usd)today at one time.so u have to use the atm 4 times.

What about at the teller,what's the limit ?

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
NYC dad.
Each bank sets the limit.
But about 10,000 pesos a day is what I can get using "Banreservas.
I won't be doing that anymore.
Banreservas charges 212 pesos per transaction now, and my USA baks now charge about a dollar for "Out of network" withdrawls, and 2.50 for international transaction. Add that you lose some on the conversion, and it ain't worth it for $100 US.
I'll just change a lot more with my personal check at the "Casa de Cambio"!
Just a note, you can't just walk into any "Casa de Cambio" and cash a personal check.
You must go with a current client, or take time to establish a relationship.
I have used the same place for over 25 years.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC