Americans living in DR.

Ex-Canuck

Dec 30, 2010
Not from the states but some aspects of deciding to move to DR were:

Friendly people. Laid back no stress culture.

Low cost of living. Moderate property prices with condos starting at $40,000.

Excellent services - depends where in country but good roads, electricity, doctors/hospitals in many places.

Country has good economic prospects so a moderate property investment should pay off. When I moved I sold my place in Spain.

Good climate - no need for a/c or heating over much of country. Can have a pleasant swim or walk year round.

Good leisure activities - sports.

Good food - local produce is exceptional.

Good transport links - direct flights to many places in US, South America and Europe.

Taxes reasonable.

Stable politically compared with others in South America.

yapask1

Really? Taxes are reasonable, but the rest???

yapask1

Jul 23, 2012
LOL... I particularly like the line about good roads. Well, I guess there must be at least two good roads... SOMEWHERE... so the plural isn't technically incorrect. LOL

From the capital to Las Terrenas - From Las Terrenas to Samana - from Capital to Boca Chica , Punta Cana etc. etc. good roads.....

yapask1

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
From the capital to Las Terrenas - From Las Terrenas to Samana - from Capital to Boca Chica , Punta Cana etc. etc. good roads.....

yapask1

That's EXACTLY my point. There are a few good roads. OR, should I say ONLY a few good roads. Don't get me wrong... I'm NOT complaining about the road system in the D.R. - It's a developing nation and the roads reflect that.

What I AM contesting is that you CHARACTERIZE THE COUNTRY as having "good roads". This blanket description would indicate to the casual reader, (those unfamiliar with the country, AND/OR, your penchant for glorifying aspects of the country that do not warrant it), that the majority of the roads are good, or that "good roads" are the norm, and not the exception.

You usually do have some kernel of good information, but you completely lose ALL credibility with your exaggerations and manipulations of the truth.

Last edited:

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
The road our house is on isn't even paved!! It's packed earth.

You should see it after a good rain.

Good roads indeed.

Ex-Canuck

Dec 30, 2010
Friendly people. Laid back no stress culture..... people are friendly if they think you have something to offer, dollers, visas, etc.
Dont get me wrong, I have met some of the nicest people here, willing to give you the shirt of their backs literaly, but they are
few and far between.

Low cost of living. Moderate property prices with condos starting at $40,000. $40,000, have never seen prices that low. rent
is comparabily cheaper than most places than the US or Canada in most places but costs to purchase house are equal or higher
than where I used to live in Canada (near Ottawa). Considering the difference in wages makes it unatainable for most.

Excellent services - depends where in country but good roads, electricity, doctors/hospitals in many places.

I have yet to find a decent road here comparable to back home. Electricity is cheap if you only use a tiny amount, want A/C
hehe plan on spending several times that of Canada. Doctors and hospitals? If you're rich I have heard they are comparible to
the US, but or most moderate or poor residents you would be better off visiting a local vetrinarian.

Country has good economic prospects so a moderate property investment should pay off. When I moved I sold my place in Spain.

I'm not even going to comment on this................

Good climate - no need for a/c or heating over much of country. Can have a pleasant swim or walk year round.

Sure, you would never need heating here. A/C ? have you ever been here June to Oct???

Good leisure activities - sports.

Not a sporty person, can't comment on this fairly.

Good food - local produce is exceptional.

The fruits and vegetables are good, however I find the locally produced items like meat and cheese, while cheaper
aren't worth the savings as they go bad almost as soon as purchased, while the imported items last long enough
to comsume, although at 50% or more price to locally produced.

Good transport links - direct flights to many places in US, South America and Europe.

I don't know much about the rest of the country, but from my experiences and my colleiges at work, its harder and harder to find
direct and inexpensive airline tickets into puerto plata. Punta Cana is easy, but since the decline of toursim here, it costs
a premium to come our go.

But I have lived her only for 2.5 years and these are my opions, some will and some won't agree with, and
I respect both sides. I just want to give my 2 cents

Last edited:

arrugala

Bronze
Nov 7, 2010
Would not suggest the move if you are Not financially stable ! The language can be solved , however in this financial time economically you will have a supreme challenge !!!!

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
the chicken and fish and pork are great.. but the beef is inedible unless cooked for hours, Imho...

weather is sunny!! which avoids the seasonal depression which some of us sufferred from in the winter months.

The people are cheerful and patient .. which always astonishes me and gives me something to learn.

And there is always something to learn... which is a challenge

Man?el

Jul 22, 2012
I'm not American, I don't live in the DR but I will try to answer your questions anyway :glasses: !

1. What made you decide to move to DR? (changing to what is making me want to move there)

- Local windsurfing spots, windsurfing all year, warm waters, waves.
- Direct flights to the rest of the world
- International schools
- Food (real food, not the corn syrup and hydrogenated oils they try to feed me in the US)
- Spanish-speaking country
- Colors/Music
- Lots of expats (so we don't feel completely isolated)
- Culture/Family values
- Freedom (yeah the real one)
- The "keep your momentum" attitude when driving
- Cheaper cost of living (to a certain extent, hard to beat quality of life/cost of living in the US)
- Beautiful island
- Big island, lots of things to do (so I don't feel isolated)
- Living with fewer stuff but with a pool!
- Hoping to make good friends to do stuff with (hike, diner, parties, etc.) but also maybe work on houses and such
- Not too far from US time zones
- Pretty clean country (despite some areas of Sto Domingo)
- Nice weather

2. Do you speak Spanish fluently? Is it possible to live there and speak very basic Spanish?

Not yet, but enough to carry simple conversation not philosophical ones, I'm not good at philosophy anyway.
If you immerse yourself, you'll pick it up fast just like anyone else. I view it as a respect to the culture.

However, it is very possible to live there, own homes etc. with very basic spanish for sure.
Dominicans seem more open than others in that regard.

3. How did you find work?

I don't think I would work there, most likely remote work.
However, I'm sure that hotels/resorts/schools have jobs. In fact, I've run into several web sites advertising for work.

4. What did your family in the states say when you told them your moving?

They don't like it.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Would not suggest the move if you are Not financially stable ! The language can be solved , however in this financial time economically you will have a supreme challenge !!!!

if Not Financially stable someone should Not move to a foreign/unknown country, as the backup weapon Family/Friends/Government will for such financially unstable Foreigner of course not work out here, lol.

Mike

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
If I could figure that out I would make the move.

you need to get your financial stability/backup back home first and come to a new country with that already at hand/on a bank account then.
otherwise, how you want survive til you found a Job(specially as a non spanish speaker) and start slowly to get some finances together to live from???

don't wanna be negative on your dreams,
but that sounds quiet Non Planned to me.

good luck

Mike

NY2DR

Nov 21, 2009
I have been to DR many times the last three years and I really like it there. I have thought many times about living there .I have Just a few questions for Americans in DR.
What made you decide to move to DR?
Do you speak Spanish fluently? Is it possible to live there and speak very basic Spanish?
How did you find work?
What did your family in the states say when you told them your moving?
I came to the D.R in 2009 visiting on a supposed "typical guy" trip with about 24 other friends who stereotyped the country for being a country that had nothing but Prostitutes. Although I had never visited before nor spoke spanish my logic & optimistic thinking had told me it was impossible to be true & that I would come across good woman & good people while visiting. Not only was I right, but of all 24 friends of mine I'm the only one living here, speak fluent spanish and I can testify that the beaches, weather, history, culture, nature, simple life and good people are the reasons I decided to move here. Its a beautiful and unreal feeling to be able to call this country your home but these guys are right because it can be a living hell if your not financially secure