AMET in full swing. (warning)

Bok

Mar 13, 2004
I live here but I would still like people to obey the traffic law. Why does that sound like so much to ask for? It's not like you're going to get where you're going any faster. If you still think so, leave the house 5 minutes earlier. (Or show up late like a dominican).

The thought of having some drunk run a red light (on purpose?) and slam into my side while I go at a green light with my wife and newborn in the car just makes me sick. And scared. :dead: :hurt: :(

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Although I would love to see more consideration for other drivers on the road (& pedestrians on the pavements), & I would love to see a greater awareness of what is happening around them (Dominican drivers) by seing at least 20 yards ahead of them on the street, I am to a certain extent with Aftab on this one (Did I just say that????) ......... "Don't try to force your police & laws on the DR ......"

Statistics just released show some 4,000 people being killed on the road each year - an average of 11 per day. FAR too many I agree, especially when you consider there are only 9 Million inhabitants & possibly only 5 million drivers on the road, but by having the present system, many of us tend to dribve that much more carefully & become three or four times MORE aware than the other drivers around us. To a GREAT extent, we get into the habit of doing the other drivers thinking for him, we are aware of all the things that he/she MIGHT do, & we are aware of most of the things that COULD go wrong ...... so we are safer drivers!!

Some 6 weeks ago at the traffic lights by the post office (I was travelling on the minor road across the main Doce de Julio). I had stopped for the red light against me but when it changed to green, I set off S L O W L Y. At the same time, I checked UP the one-way doce de Julio & sw a Jeepa screeming down the hill. There was NO way he was going to stop, ... so I did! He was embarrased when I smiled & waved hello to him (with TWO fingers!!) but more importantly, my jeep, the passengers with me & I were safe!

As Hillbilly remarked about 5 weeks ago whilst I was driving him round Santiago "You are now a Dominican driver. At that last crossroads which was across a on-way street, you looked BOTH ways"! ~ Grahame.

NY1

Feb 26, 2002
funny all the folks who live outside of Dr want law and order here. I mean what differance does it make to you how we drive here.

Perhaps those that have lots of family living in DR, don't want some idiot ramming their car into them? Sounds logical to me, then again, logic and your posts on this thread, don't blend well.

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
As Hillbilly remarked about 5 weeks ago whilst I was driving him round Santiago "You are now a Dominican driver. At that last crossroads which was across a on-way street, you looked BOTH ways"! ~ Grahame.[/QUOTE]

Very true. To not do so would be suicide. Also, looking both ways even when you have a green light is highly recommended.

Personally, if they were going to crack down on anything I would prefer that it be corruption and street crime. But that's kinda like having the fox guard the hen house.

AZB does make a valid point(Write that down Aftab, I agreed with you). Leave us alone, it's all part of the collective charm of the DR (right or wrong).

Scott indeed has no ***.

Scandall

Buzzard

Feb 28, 2004
Costambar
Drive Defesively

BushBaby said:
Statistics just released show some 4,000 people being killed on the road each year - an average of 11 per day. FAR too many I agree, especially when you consider there are only 9 Million inhabitants & possibly only 5 million drivers on the road, but by having the present system, many of us tend to dribve that much more carefully & become three or four times MORE aware than the other drivers around us. To a GREAT extent, we get into the habit of doing the other drivers thinking for him, we are aware of all the things that he/she MIGHT do, & we are aware of most of the things that COULD go wrong ...... so we are safer drivers!!
ssengers with me & I were safe!
~ Grahame.

You thoughts are right-on. This concept has been promoted in the US for many years as "Drive Defesively". Not a day behind the wheel (either in the DR or the US) lacks ay least one reason to follow this advice.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
NY1 said:
Perhaps those that have lots of family living in DR, don't want some idiot ramming their car into them? Sounds logical to me, then again, logic and your posts on this thread, don't blend well.
Don't worry about the people who live here, like I said earlier, they are not the ones who are complaining. We are all comfortable with the rules and regulations here and we certainly don 't want to live like USA on this island. You like law and order then stay there and leave us alone here.
AZB

Buzzard

Feb 28, 2004
Costambar
The 'Royal' We

AZB said:
Don't worry about the people who live here, like I said earlier, they are not the ones who are complaining. We are all comfortable with the rules and regulations here and we certainly don 't want to live like USA on this island. You like law and order then stay there and leave us alone here.
AZB

Your opinions on many subjects have, I have observed, made little (make that NO) room for anyone else's views. But that egocentric view of the world is, unfortunatley, not perculiar to you alone (that is a subject I recommend you take up through private consulting). However, on this subject (Driving habits, etc, in the DR), I am forced to "rise to the bait". You say "We are all confortable,,,,," and "We certainly don't want....". WHO THE HELL ARE 'WE'?????. Certainly not the generator of this reply, who has lived in the DR for over 12 years, up to 6 months/year at a time. Certainly not to my many friends and neighbors, who either live here full time or 4-6 months/year, some for over 20 years!

Please get a grip on yourself. You are not the spokesman for everyone who lives here. In fact, your opinions and values (both moral & social) are quite the opposite of the great majority of people I have met in the DR.

In summary, I cannot prevent you from distributing your sociopathic diatribes in this form, but I can certainly object to your warped belief that what "you' believe, is what "WE" believe.

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I always thought AZB was a closet chopo....cause only "those people" carry that type of attitude. ;)

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
AZB said:
Double standards: I have been called a black a$$ paki (even when my *** is not so black) yet no one raised a finger. Isn't this a racist statement? I guess I am not african black so it doesn't matter. Right?
So next time when I talk about my straight haired fine facial featured white santiaguera, I don't want to hear crap from you artificial racial police.
Now I challange scott in comparing a$$ color. Next time I am in your pool, we both are pulling down out shorts from behind to compare color. Dawn could be the judge. Oh wait, this comparison is impossible, I almost forgot, scott has no a$$. hehehehehehe, me so funny. Me make a goood joke.
AZB
Difference is that when I make fun of you there is a round of applause.

HOHOHO

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Now you guys are hurting my feelings. I am human too you know.
AZB

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Looking Both Ways When Crossing a "One Way" Street,

Doesn't make you a Dominican",it maakes you a "Foreigner" who has lived here long enough to "learn" how to survive on the streets of the DR! "Dominicans" don't look "either" way at an intersection,they just go straight ahead!!

I drive a "POS" (Piece-Ot-$hit),1987 Ford Aerostar Van.I love it! I bought it 9 years ago when it was "Cherry"!I put a huge "Defensa" on both the front and the rear.A "Defensa" is what those huge transcontinental double and triple trailer trucks that you see in Australia call "Roo Guards"! Huge steel "Bumpers"!!!!!! They "Command" respect from even the "Publicos" never mind the "Moto-conchos"!! They Work!!!!I have destroyed several cars that tried to "Outmanuver" me!! My van now looks like a "looser" from a "Demolition Derby".That only adds to its potential to gain the psycological
advantage at all intersections!Now add to that my "Night Vision Destroyer" and you have the complete "Road Warrior" Package!!!!! I have four 500,000 candlepower halogen lamps mounted on the roof,and two halogen "Floods" on the now famous "Defensa"!I have seen the Reflection of all the lights in a large window pane,I'm Lov'n It!!!"I give two chances to the oncoming vehicle by "flashing" my "brights",if no response,3 million candlepower,plus MY highbeams!!!!!!!!!
It all boils down to what "EVERYTHING" boils down to in the DR,"Lack of Responsibility" of the entire population!
"Rights of OTHERS???? Don't make my spit my "Cafesito" on my "Flat Screen"!
Dominicans don't ignore the rights of others,they don't even know the concept!!
So don't expect any "courtesy" on the highways,I would settle for a little commonsense.

"Escott" may not have any A$$,but you have to admire his "Huge Balls"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CC,The Guy With The BIG EVERYTHING,(EXCEPT where it counts!!! :cry: )
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

shadInToronto

On Vacation....
Nov 16, 2003
This is a message board

Buzzard said:
Please get a grip on yourself. You are not the spokesman for everyone who lives here. In fact, your opinions and values (both moral & social) are quite the opposite of the great majority of people I have met in the DR.

In summary, I cannot prevent you from distributing your sociopathic diatribes in this form, but I can certainly object to your warped belief that what "you' believe, is what "WE" believe.
Not the UN. Do you think the opinions expressed here will make a significant impact on humanity and our environment? Cool down and keep it in perspective.

dawnwil

Bronze
Aug 27, 2003
what the hell, AZB?

AZB said:
Now I challange scott in comparing a$$ color. Next time I am in your pool, we both are pulling down out shorts from behind to compare color. Dawn could be the judge. Oh wait, this comparison is impossible, I almost forgot, scott has no a$$. hehehehehehe, me so funny. Me make a goood joke.
AZB

I get little enough tanning time as it is-- the shock of such a task might send me into the dark (or is that white?) forever.

dawnwil

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
dawnwil said:
I get little enough tanning time as it is-- the shock of such a task might send me into the dark (or is that white?) forever.

dawnwil

You can make it Dawn! Put dark sunglasses on and ask AZBs girlfriend to help you out... ;) :cross-eye

dawnwil

Bronze
Aug 27, 2003
Carina

Easy for you to say... how about joining us? We need an uneven number of judges, to be fair. Or does Camela count as 2?

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
dawnwil said:
Easy for you to say... how about joining us? We need an uneven number of judges, to be fair. Or does Camela count as 2?

I heard rumors, that she is a 10 on a scale 1-5, according to AZB...
so she must have more counts than just 1, as us ordinary creatures have...

But now I get split, I read in another thread that AZB is spending more and more time with Larry.... :cross-eye

I heard, I think from Escott, that Camela got so worried, so she left the Playa in Sosua and bought a pool instead to use in Santiago at the backyard of AZBs office.

carina_azbpool.jpg

Last edited: