Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
amy2761 said:
Tell us what happened!!! ;)

Stay well,
Amy
It's not that interesting a story.
I was rushing to pick up my brother in law at Iberostar, saw the cops aim the radar at me from a distance, saw the bike, and pulled over by myself before they even had a chance to jump out and wave me down.
I told them that I rarely drove that fast, and that somebody was waiting for me on a street corner.
I listened to them for awhile, made a remark to one of them about the educated way he Spoke Spanish and asked him where he was from, then we got to chatting about that part of the country and how I had been almost everywhere on this island, even where donkeys only go, due to the 8 years in the fruit & veggie biz.
A few more words, a couple of jokes, and they pleasantly told me to go on my way and to keep the speed down.
We never even got to the part where he asked me for my papers.
They were nice guys and I suppose they liked me and my jokes, and the fact that I respected them.
I know for sure that it wasn't due to my good looks.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Scandall said:
Rocky just gave valuable advice. It does no good to argue, especially with the AMET. That is what most people do. Also, the next time you drive by someone being ticketed, look close. They are almost ALWAYS on their cellphone calling "their important friends". Guess what? The AMET don't care (ask AZB or anyone else).

The last time I was stopped (and yes, I was in the wrong), I was very respectful to the officer and told him he was right and I was sorry. He spoke a few words of english which I complimented him on (*** kissing doesn't hurt). I got him small talking (in Spanish and English) and after a few minutes he let me go. This will not always happen but it will NEVER happen if you have an attitude and start mouthing off about all of your important friends. They don't care.

PS: They looooove to be called "Comandante"...give it a try. :)

Scandall

This is good advice when dealing with traffic cops anywhere. Aside from the occasional assshole ,most cops HATE writing traffic summonses. It makes it much easier for them to write you one if they immediately dislike you. Complaining, whining, etc. usually seals the deal for you. Being respectful , friendly, charming, etc. can only help you.

Larry

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
Larry said:
This is good advice when dealing with traffic cops anywhere. Aside from the occasional assshole ,most cops HATE writing traffic summonses. It makes it much easier for them to write you one if they immediately dislike you. Complaining, whining, etc. usually seals the deal for you. Being respectful , friendly, charming, etc. can only help you.

Larry

Don't listen to larry, he doesn't know what he's talking about. If you are ever in Boston I recommend using one of the following lines:

1) "Don't you know who I am?" (John Kerry and Teddy Kennedy's favorite)
2) "You're making a huge mistake."
3) "You can't do this to me."
4) "I pay your salary."
5) Say nothing and offer them 50 Dominican Pesos

Scandall

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Scandall said:
Don't listen to larry, he doesn't know what he's talking about. If you are ever in Boston I recommend using one of the following lines:

1) "Don't you know who I am?" (John Kerry and Teddy Kennedy's favorite)
2) "You're making a huge mistake."
3) "You can't do this to me."
4) "I pay your salary."
5) Say nothing and offer them 50 Dominican Pesos

Scandall

Haha. Try #4 and see how long you are sitting there while the cop slowly drains the ink from his pen.

Larry

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Little story!

I will keep this DR related:

Some of those AMET guys really DO take their jobs seriously.

While in the DR, I went to eat with some friends and sitting 3 tables away from me was a woman sitting with her 2 kids and another woman.

Right next to my table was a AMET cop, in full uniform, waiting for his food.

The woman kids were out of control, running and yelling.

All of a sudden the woman points to the AMET cop and tells her kids: "if you guys don't behave, he will take you to prison". He just stared at her without any expression on his face. I could not believe that she would say such a thing. He looked at me and just waved his head to the sides.

After about 5 more minutes of not being able to control her kids, she told them, again, that the AMET cop would take them to prison if they did not behave. But now she made the mistake to ask him "verdad que tu te lo vas a llegar a la carcel si ellos no se portan bien?" (right that you will take them to prison if they dont behave?). What a mistake on her part.

This guy was very cool and collected and looking straight at her, told her:

"Senora, I am not here to control or educate your kids. I am not the "cuco". I will let you control your kids since my only job is to enforce the traffic laws . Thanks and have a good day". He just moved his head to the direction of his food and that was it. She put a face and I could not stop smiling.

Last edited:

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
miguel said:
I will keep this DR related:

Some of those AMET guys really DO take their jobs seriously.

While in the DR, I went to eat with some friends and sitting 3 tables away from me was a woman sitting with her 2 kids and another woman.

Right next to my table was a AMET cop, in full uniform, waiting for his food.

The woman kids were out of control, running and yelling.

All of a sudden the woman points to the AMET cop and tells her kids: "if you guys don't behave, he will take you to prison". He just stared at her without any expression on his face. I could not believe that she would say such a thing. He looked at me and just waved his head to the sides.

After about 5 more minutes of not being able to control her kids, she told them, again, that the AMET cop would take them to prison if they did not behave. But now she made the mistake to ask him "verdad que tu te lo vas a llegar a la carcel si ellos no se portan bien?" (right that you will take them to prison if they dont behave?). What a mistake on her part.

This guy was very cool and collected and looking straight at her, told her:

"Senora, I am not here to control or educate your kids. I am not the "cuco". I will let you control your kids since my only job is to enforce the traffic laws . Thanks and have a good day". He just moved his head to the direction of his food and that was it. She put a face and I could not stop smiling.

Good story. I have found that in general the AMET officers are very professional. Many of them are X-military and it shows in their appearance and bearing. The Policia Nacional are pigs, plain and simple.

Scandall