AMET retained my licence, I drove away

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
A.E.: that was the military man Candelier, a stout PRDista that Leonel appointed in his first half term that was given to him by Balaguer. Candelier's mandate was to form AMET outside the PN.

Candelier started by hiring part time university kids. He uniformed them, drilled them and taught them manners. Those kids wore squared away Smokey the Bear hats with chin straps, creased pants and erect spines. When they stopped you they were the soul of courtesy, no bribes, no hustles, just efficiency with a smile. They represented their country superbly when a foreigner either needed help or committed an infraction. The fact that they were university students raised the standards for police and instituted defacto term limits on them The fact that they were part time and term limited increased their numbers, multiplying the value of their training to the nation's future. Candelier/Leonel, whoever, it was pure genius.

The PN on the other hand had a bunch of pot bellied thugs patrolling the roads, but Candelier replaced them all in pretty short order with the AMET which was outside their chain of command.

When Hippolito came along Candelier was out, and one of the first things Hippolito did was move AMET over to the PN chain of command. It wasn't two years before the pot bellies were back, and if any of those fine looking kids stayed in the force they must have been school dropouts. A great shame.

But it proved one thing: a disciplined mano duro like Candelier, softened by a still inchoate civil authority such as Leonel then, can accomplish wonders here ? if only the will exists.

Reportedly Darren from Boca Chica was married to candeliers daughter.

When I used to get pulled over by PN, I would keep driving till I found Amet. Drop candeliers name as suegro de mi amigo.

PN would take off. Never got pulled over by Amet in those days, because PN would make stuff up, passing red lights, seat belt etc.

Good old days.

I rarely drive now but when I do, my new "trick" worked every time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EmpireGirl

Feb 1, 2014
I doubt anything will happen, please, most of these cops don't even have a 8th grade education and this corrupt way is how they make their living. Im sick of it

nakom

Jan 26, 2011
What are the rules on towing / impounding your car? I was travelling from the POP airport to Cabarete and was pulled over for "running a red light" as I entered Sosua. The light was yellow....... The officer got in my car and made me drive up to the AMET office where they impounded the car until I paid the ticket. I told them to just give me a ticket but they would not. I ended up giving a little something to the guy in charge and it all went away, but can they impound your car for running a red light?

If not, how do you stop it from happening?

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
That's the favourite spot. They know you can't see the light properly and with the general chaos going on you follow the vehicle in front then they jump out and falsely accuse you of the 'red light' infraction. I noticed that it's only gringos they jump. The Dominican guy behind me wasn't stopped. It's a complete con so then they get you to go to the AMET HQ, tell you the car's impounded until blah blah blah, write out a fake ticket for you to take to Banco Reservas then the town hall etc. etc.

I stuck it out the last time but finished up paying the 'fine' to the officer with a little added for their help......!

Now I stop on any colour shade of light until I'm sure they are not there hiding behind a strategically placed truck.

Unless you know someone high in AMET, there's not much else you can do I reckon.

Richard Bruce

Dec 27, 2013
Wow, that sucks! I would have probably left that scene too! I think the route of getting a replacement soon is a great start, and maybe have some help ready in reserve just in case. Besides that, hope it goes away and try not to think about it. Cheers!