Amet

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
I know seat belt for passengers are. Sometimes you can get by. I think helmets are to, but I'm not sure. If you are gringo you will get a ticket.

irishpaddy

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
I know seat belt for passengers are. Sometimes you can get by. I think helmets are to, but I'm not sure. If you are gringo you will get a ticket.

surely a gringo would have the brains not to get on a motor bike without a helmet ...and if he/she doesn't ...then they desrve what they get

macdiver265

May 6, 2017
For the life of me I cannot find where on the AMET sign to check your license plate for outstanding fines. Does anyone know the direct link to where to check? 

Thank you so much!

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
I don't know where you live, but in Caberete I se it all the time. I think your right , but you can't change stupid.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004

Where is this noted not on the list of multa's I dont think.

Timotero

Bronze
Feb 25, 2011
30 days versus 90?

I .............

And expats above all should respect the law too other wise it is hypocrisy ridiculing Dominicans violating the law. And so understand you can't drive here legally after 90 continuous days in the country on a foreign license and you insurance is almost certainly invalid without a currently active driving license.

I thought foreign drivers licenses were only valid in the DR for THIRTY (30) days, not the ninety(90) mentioned above?
Thirty days would also coincide with the validity period of the "tourist card" visitors must purchase upon entering the country.

Since your technically here illegally if you stay over 30 days (without renewing the tourist card or having residency), it would seem to make sense that your foreign drivers license would be invalid on day 31 also.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
I thought foreign drivers licenses were only valid in the DR for THIRTY (30) days, not the ninety(90) mentioned above?
Thirty days would also coincide with the validity period of the "tourist card" visitors must purchase upon entering the country.

Since your technically here illegally if you stay over 30 days (without renewing the tourist card or having residency), it would seem to make sense that your foreign drivers license would be invalid on day 31 also.

Ley 241-67:

Artículo30.- Personas exentas del requisito de licencia.

a) Toda persona que este debidamente autorizada para conducir un vehículo de motor en cualquier país extranjero donde se exijan requisitos similares a los establecidos por esta ley para la concesión de Licencias de Conductor, y que posea y lleve consigo una Licencia y en vigor en dicho país extranjero, estará autorizada para conducir tal tipo de vehículos de motor en la República Dominicana, durante los primeros noventa (90) días desde su arribo.

We've been here before. Not even an international driving license has validity after the 90 days.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009

Consider the source.

Assuming that anything makes sense, or that there are sequitors in RD would be a mistake

Easily the law can be one period for tourists and another for tourists' driving

Ooops , sorry - faster fingers beat me to it

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Useless fine when you consider Public cars & Gua-guas can jam people in like sardines, but only the driver is supposed to wear a seat belt?

Meanwhile, a scooter goes past with a Beverly Hillbilly family of 8 with no seat belts, and only the driver wearing a helmet...sometimes.

And nearly all cars drive around with little to no lights, or the lights are strong enough to light up a football stadium.

Too many contradictions to list.

It's Kafkaesque

Frank

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Useless fine when you consider Public cars & Gua-guas can jam people in like sardines, but only the driver is supposed to wear a seat belt?

Meanwhile, a scooter goes past with a Beverly Hills family of 8 with no seat belts, and only the driver wearing a helmet...sometimes.

And nearly all cars drive around with little to no lights, or the lights are strong enough to light up a football stadium.

Too many contradictions to list.

It's Kafkaesque

Frank

You are right frank ....read ley 114-99.....buses and public carros are exempt as I read it.

Last edited:

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
It is my understanding that the 90 day rule was originally meant to compliment the 90 visas that were available at the time. This predates the introduction of the tourist card.

No one seems to have gotten around to updating the wording of the law. It seems to be a safe assumption as pointed out, that at the point in time when your status in the country becomes "irregular" any permissions extended to "regular" visitors also end.

So, if you have a 90 days business visa, you can drive on a foreign license for the 90 days covered by that visa. A 30 day tourist card visitor may drive for 30 days. If you have a visa valid for more than 90 days (student visa for example), some other arrangement may or may not exist to extend the use of a foreign drivers license beyond 90 days.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Ley 241-67:

Artículo30.- Personas exentas del requisito de licencia.

a) Toda persona que este debidamente autorizada para conducir un vehículo de motor en cualquier país extranjero donde se exijan requisitos similares a los establecidos por esta ley para la concesión de Licencias de Conductor, y que posea y lleve consigo una Licencia y en vigor en dicho país extranjero, estará autorizada para conducir tal tipo de vehículos de motor en la República Dominicana, durante los primeros noventa (90) días desde su arribo.

We've been here before. Not even an international driving license has validity after the 90 days.

It is my understanding that the 90 day rule was originally meant to compliment the 90 visas that were available at the time. This predates the introduction of the tourist card.

No one seems to have gotten around to updating the wording of the law. It seems to be a safe assumption as pointed out, that at the point in time when your status in the country becomes "irregular" any permissions extended to "regular" visitors also end.

So, if you have a 90 days business visa, you can drive on a foreign license for the 90 days covered by that visa. A 30 day tourist card visitor may drive for 30 days. If you have a visa valid for more than 90 days (student visa for example), some other arrangement may or may not exist to extend the use of a foreign drivers license beyond 90 days.

According to the law posted, its 90 days for all. Until that law is changed......

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
According to the law posted, its 90 days for all. Until that law is changed......

There we have it, visitors with a "regular" immigration status may drive for a maximum of 90 days and then have to park their car.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Not so complicated after all.....

Another tempest in a teapot.......

There will be dissenters to it but...........WTF!!!

Jan 7, 2016
There we have it, visitors with a "regular" immigration status may drive for a maximum of 90 days and then have to park their car.

Or, simply, procure a Dominican Driver's License. All you need is your Cedula and a Spanish speaking fren to help you take the test....If you test in an automatic car, you can only drive automatics unless you retest with a manual...go figure.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Canada used to be the same... different license class for manual/stick shifting....

My father made me take that one....

As for the RD license, that involves residency.... not that simple any more