AMRATS are hassing tourists again!

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
can you blame them? It is the time for the marbetes, and looking at the parking lot in Playero plenty of people did not get them yet.

So they are doing their job.

Papa Benito

Dec 5, 2006
can you blame them? It is the time for the marbetes, and looking at the parking lot in Playero plenty of people did not get them yet.

So they are doing their job.
Their job is to enforce the law. They refuse to arrest moto-concho's. But intentionally rip-off tourists!

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
They are all over the DR now looking for cars without the new Marbetes. It is not just Sosua. And not just Gringos, anyone without one is fair game.

~~anna~~

Oct 27, 2003
Not AMET but have noticed the grey clothed Policia Nacionals in Juan Dolio lately...Used to seeing them just sitting or driving their vehicles, but very active lately on the boulevard and Villas Del Mar area ...They've waved us by but pulled over vehicles (cars and bikes) with Dominican drivers. Just seem to be much more noticeable the last couple of weeks.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
Please explain!!!

Their job is to enforce the law. They refuse to arrest moto-concho's. But intentionally rip-off tourists!

If you are a tourist, and you have rented a car, the car's marbete should be in order, the insurance should be in order, the matricula should be in order, and you should have no problem with your drivers licence.

So, unless you passed a red light, did not wear your seat-belt, were drunk behind the weel, or broke another law, you should have no fear of them.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Pre-Xmas Feast

... the car's marbete should be in order, the insurance should be in order, the matricula should be in order, and you should have no problem with your drivers licence.
So, unless you passed a red light, did not wear your seat-belt, were drunk behind the weel, or broke another law, you should have no fear of them.

The fear is that some 'motoconcho' (or other Dominican driver without any of the requirements mentioned above) hits you and then police, the 'fiscal' and maybe a judge feast on your wallet.

donP

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
they were doing the same the last 2 days in Gasper Hernandez, and last time I can recall there isn't too many tourists there, so saying they are targeting the tourists is wrong.......people complain police don't do their job and now people complain when they do, so really, if you are driving without the proper paperwork, whose fault is it anyway?

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
they were doing the same the last 2 days in Gasper Hernandez, and last time I can recall there isn't too many tourists there, so saying they are targeting the tourists is wrong.......people complain police don't do their job and now people complain when they do, so really, if you are driving without the proper paperwork, whose fault is it anyway?

If you are riding around NYC with an expired license plate on your car and a cop stopped you (maybe our own Badpiece) and towed your car what would you say to him? "You are harrassing me unjustly?

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Are There Many?

If you are riding around NYC with an expired license plate ....

I have never been to NYC, so please forgive my curiosity, but how many motorcyclists are there without license plates, no insurance, no vehicle papers, no helmet (is it the law there?), driving in wrong directions, etc. ? :tired:

donP

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
I have never been to NYC, so please forgive my curiosity, but how many motorcyclists are there without license plates, no insurance, no vehicle papers, no helmet (is it the law there?), driving in wrong directions, etc. ? :tired:

donP

you would be surprised. I do not know the numbers for NYC, but I do know that, at the moment, in Belgium an estimated 25% of the people driving a car do not havethe legally needed insurance (thanks to the economic crisis).

From now till the middle of january the police in Belgium will do random alcohol-tests for drivers (because of all the parties given by the companies for the holiday-period) and last year 10% of all people tested were positive.

So, not only here, but probably everywhere, although I admit it is a lot worse here.

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
We watched the Amrats today outside the Sosua Police station. They had a catcher hiding behind the Playero sign on the side of the road plus two others outside the police station under the tree. We watch for half an hour from about 4:00 to 4:30 pm and out of the twelve people stopped eleven were GRINGOS - the one Dominican was a pair of Chicas in a LEXUS who where stopped and then waived by with the under hand wave.

They saw us watching after a while and eye contact was made but a quick look at the Adscene and a wave to a Motoconcho put thier attention back to their Catches.

Of those that were stopped some had no seat belts on and the guy by Playero would blow his whisle and indicate by passing his arms across his chest that it was seat belts. Some were stopped for no obvious reason and the green tickets flowed !

Definitely against GRINGOS ! Perhaps we should contact EL Colonel Cordero in POP to make complaints !

Photos availalbe !!!

OLLY and the team

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
While we were there hundreds of Motoconchos came past with out Helmets so it was not about the laws ! Just the fines and who knows what else.

OLLY and the team

Papa Benito

Dec 5, 2006
Better be careful at lights
AMET chief Jose Anibal Sanz Jiminian says that his agents have issued more than 60,000 tickets to drivers accused of running red lights between March and 15 November of this year. Sanz Jiminian said that the announcement is part of a media campaign to let drivers know that the AMET agents will be especially vigilant at intersections with traffic lights.

''Aptly enough, the Major General was speaking to reporters after Mass commemorating the World Day for Victims of Traffic Accidents, accompanied by National Police Chief Jose Armando Polanco Gomez. Sanz Jiminian said that the efforts by the AMET have led to a 65% reduction in traffic accidents. Two measures that he mentioned were the fact that AMET obliges heavy traffic to remain in the right lane and carry red and white reflective tape on the back and sides of the vehicle and their current campaign against truckers carrying passengers on the back of their vehicles. '' What a joke!'' Motos are almost never stopped even though their constant violations are often very serious! AMETS are RATS!

avi8or57

Nov 25, 2010
As far as I know, motorcycles are designed for 2 up riding, not 5 or 6 like I've seen on the road many times. That should be STRICTLY ENFORCED!! Carrying washing machines on motorcycles which restricts the driver's vision should be STRICTLY ENFORCED!! Strapping on large BREAD CRATES to a motorcycle which can easily side-swipe any pedestrian or vehicle should be STRICTLY ENFORCED! And so on, and so on!!!!!! It seems that they are working on a QUOTA system here...red light tickets down this quarter, HAMMER THEM! Seat belt tickets down this quarter, HAMMER THEM! No helmet tickets down this quarter, HAMMER THEM! Now for the upcoming holiday season they will definitely FREAK OUT with a wild ticket frenzy, BE PREPARED! :)

Definitely against GRINGOS ! Perhaps we should contact EL Colonel Cordero in POP to make complaints !

Photos availalbe !!!

OLLY and the team

You guys sound like everyone who gets arrested in NYC, You only arrest black or hispanic people!!!! The Amet in Sosua probably do summons more gringos than Dominicans in Batey because you guys are driving past them all day long in your cars without your seat belts on and talking on your cell phones. Put your damm seat belt on and dont talk on your phone while you pass Playero and the police station, You know where there at follow the rules for a block or two for Gods sake. You guys live in paradise and have nothing else to Bitch about???

'' What a joke!'' Motos are almost never stopped even though their constant violations are often very serious! AMETS are RATS!

You have very selective vision, I have seen the Amet in front of Playero and the police station stopping evey moto that was not wearing a helmet and not just issuing them a summons but taking their bikes as well. Different days different operation.

As far as I know, motorcycles are designed for 2 up riding, not 5 or 6 like I've seen on the road many times. That should be STRICTLY ENFORCED!! Carrying washing machines on motorcycles which restricts the driver's vision should be STRICTLY ENFORCED!! Strapping on large BREAD CRATES to a motorcycle which can easily side-swipe any pedestrian or vehicle should be STRICTLY ENFORCED! And so on, and so on!!!!!! It seems that they are working on a QUOTA system here...red light tickets down this quarter, HAMMER THEM! Seat belt tickets down this quarter, HAMMER THEM! No helmet tickets down this quarter, HAMMER THEM! Now for the upcoming holiday season they will definitely FREAK OUT with a wild ticket frenzy, BE PREPARED! :)

Unfortunately you guys live in their Country and thats how they transport family and move light furniture, If you dont like it Donate your big SUV to help a poor family move their washing machine to a new home.

We watched the Amrats today outside the Sosua Police station. They had a catcher hiding behind the Playero sign on the side of the road plus two others outside the police station under the tree. We watch for half an hour from about 4:00 to 4:30 pm and out of the twelve people stopped eleven were GRINGOS - the one Dominican was a pair of Chicas in a LEXUS who where stopped and then waived by with the under hand wave.

They saw us watching after a while and eye contact was made but a quick look at the Adscene and a wave to a Motoconcho put thier attention back to their Catches.

Of those that were stopped some had no seat belts on and the guy by Playero would blow his whisle and indicate by passing his arms across his chest that it was seat belts. Some were stopped for no obvious reason and the green tickets flowed !

Photos availalbe !!!

OLLY and the team

Two Dominicanas in a Lexus = well healed Dominican family that obviously can make a phone call and have the Amet officer arrested for harrasing the well conected family. This is the same world wide so learn to live with it. If you know the right people you get away with more than the avg person.