AMRATS are hassing tourists again!

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
I have passed this famous AMET point now daily for about 2 years, and got pulled over once. The AMET officer looked into the car, and apologized. He thought I was not wearing my seatbelt, as the visor on the passenger-side was down.

I have been stopped maybe 50 times by the scary guys in the bullet-proof vests. I have been friendly to them, showed them my papers, and always got a handshake and a nice wave, without ever paying a "propina". Oops, I forgot, I once gave a guy a cigarette. The last 20 times, they waved me down, I stopped, they saw it was me, and with a nice "hola" they let me pass.

So, once again, what are you guys doing to **** those guys off?

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
I have passed this famous AMET point now daily for about 2 years, and got pulled over once. The AMET officer looked into the car, and apologized. He thought I was not wearing my seatbelt, as the visor on the passenger-side was down.

I have been stopped maybe 50 times by the scary guys in the bullet-proof vests. I have been friendly to them, showed them my papers, and always got a handshake and a nice wave, without ever paying a "propina". Oops, I forgot, I once gave a guy a cigarette. The last 20 times, they waved me down, I stopped, they saw it was me, and with a nice "hola" they let me pass.

So, once again, what are you guys doing to **** those guys off?

wishingiwasthere

Nov 19, 2005
Once again you were stopped with no documetation and were given summons for violations you admit you were guilty of, You then tried to bribe the officer and he wouldnt take it and for that you think they are bad??? Follow the rules and you wont have problems. You almost got your ass shot trying to avoid the checkpoint with the DNC police, Stoip for them and be polite as long as you have no illegal guns or drugs you will be ok.

Just to clarify - I know i didnt wear a belt, i knew there would be a fine, thats ok.
I didnt know that photo copies of documentation was not ok.
I do and did know who AMET are.
I did not try to bribe them, the boss of the car hire place did.

HOWEVER - after reading all this thread - i now understand what G2 are - but "as a stupid gringo tourist" didnt know at the time. I would rather not get shot if i can avoid it.

Not looking to argue too much here badpiece, however no ticket was issued in the end and the money was paid.

Im not calling them "bad" - its just how it was in my experience.

Our next visit in March - i will wear my belt at all times, have my documentation and look forward to a trouble free holiday!

donP

Dec 14, 2008
No Tengo La Culpa.

... some tourists and expats see themselves (...)

They want to get away with whatever they want (...) and of course, when something happens it's never their fault.

Perfectly fitted in.... :laugh: :lick:

donP

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
and just to add to our woes - 2 days later we were on the way to the Air port to pick up a friend that was out for a week on a first time visit.

Plane to land at 3.15pm - its 3pm - time to leave Sosua.
We went up past the old "High Caribe" disco to head up to the car was and out on to the high way.

Now - the first time I have seen this type of police officer. All dressed in Black and Big guns ( being Brits we dont see guns out on the street that much )

They were pulling cars over in the lay by and checking them. I didnt know who or what they were and started to 3 point turn my car around to pull back onto Pedro C and take an alternate route.
I didnt know! That went down like a bowl of sick and a man came running at us with his big gun.

Now, i get the idea i needed to stop. Whilst I played it cool with the wife, in a lane, a uniform that i didnt recognize, big guns, it was the second time i needed a shower and change of trousers!

So - the guy walks up to us and starts speaking. Of course "i no's speakie the spanglish" - "Thats ok - I speak perfect English came the reply".

This time, I had my passport on me. Just as he opens my passport our car hire guy just happens to be driving past. Stops, has a few words with them, and we were on the way to the air port to pick up our "virgin visitor" to the island.

Im told they are "K" department and looking from drugs?

again, happy to have hired a car from a proper rental, but this time, we had done nothing wrong!

All of the above said, we are back in a few weeks for two weeks of sun and fun, and we will hire a car!
G-2, most likely looking for guns.

Just to clarify - I know i didnt wear a belt, i knew there would be a fine, thats ok.
I didnt know that photo copies of documentation was not ok.
I do and did know who AMET are.
I did not try to bribe them, the boss of the car hire place did.

HOWEVER - after reading all this thread - i now understand what G2 are - but "as a stupid gringo tourist" didnt know at the time. I would rather not get shot if i can avoid it.

Not looking to argue too much here badpiece, however no ticket was issued in the end and the money was paid.

Im not calling them "bad" - its just how it was in my experience.

Our next visit in March - i will wear my belt at all times, have my documentation and look forward to a trouble free holiday!

And now that you ow the rules you will most likely have a trouble free vacation, Enjoy it, Just dont go riding past the police station with Papa!!!!!

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
Honestly, I think a good part of this thread needs to be merged with the Why Are Some Ex-Pats Clueless thread.

As an admitted Santiago/Santo Domingo person you may need to take note of your own advice Frank. Not being a Sosua person your input is not noteworthy. The Amet in your area do not behave the same as the Sosua Amrats. just saying

May 12, 2005
As an admitted Santiago/Santo Domingo person you may need to take note of your own advice Frank. Not being a Sosua person your input is not noteworthy. The Amet in your area do not behave the same as the Sosua Amrats. just saying

Another reason not to live there.

retiree

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
I have lived here in Sosua for 10 years, drive by the Amets daily, have all my car license stickers and have never been stopped.

Papa Benito

Dec 5, 2006
Your hallucinations are ridiculous

Papa been back in town now for about 36 hours, and have driven past the Amet at least 6 times, five with no interaction and one where the Amet waved to me saying Hola. The difference between you and me is I wear my seat belt when passing the Amet and I am a friendly person and dont drive into oncoming traffic like an idiot. I am here so let me know when we can drive by the amet first with me driving then with you driving. Im thirsty and am waiting for you to buy me some beers.
I always follow the law. I am just trying to help people from being stopped by the RATS, seeking bribes and forcing tourists to pay fines

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
They have moved to Cabarete and are under the tree opposite "The Market " with the big "Pepsico Sign " overhead. About 3:00 pm today
Beware there are three of them -they are the ones from Sosua. Have yor "Greenies " ready !!!!

OLLY and the team

They have moved to Cabarete and are under the tree opposite "The Market " with the big "Pepsico Sign " overhead. About 3:00 pm today
Beware there are three of them -they are the ones from Sosua. Have yor "Greenies " ready !!!!

OLLY and the team

What are you guys smoking???? I have been back 3 days now and have driven past the AMET is Sosua at least 10 times and past the guys in Caberette at least 3 times. Have your seat belts on and dont talk on your phone while passing them. As a side note I did get stopped by AMET today in Gaspar Hernandez while returning from Playa Grande and I was stopped because I didn't have my seat belt on. I was courteous and explained that I forgot to put it on and appreciated him reminding me, he looked at my papers and told me to have a nice day. Maybe you guys should pay me to show you how to act correctly during a traffic stop so you can avoid these situations in the future.

Papa Benito

Dec 5, 2006
Ah, the valued opinion of a person that doesn't know me!!!!!!!!!!

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
And you need to learn how to live in a foreign country!!!!
I'm a real bad guy!:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: My car was needlessly towed once.

May 12, 2005
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:I'm a real bad guy!:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: My car was needlessly towed once.

I still want to know what you are doing that is causing you to be singled out by AMET. Several other posters from the Sosua area have posted they drive by them everyday without incident.

Papa Benito

Dec 5, 2006
Tank--because of your law and order obsession?

I still want to know what you are doing that is causing you to be singled out by AMET. Several other posters from the Sosua area have posted they drive by them everyday without incident.
Apparently, you don't read and comprehend well ! I am not singled out!;);););)

Papa Benito

Dec 5, 2006
Great news to report: The AMRATS are supervising the removal of new speed bump, near Secrets Club on PC. Now, the moto conconcho cowboys can continue their quest to establish world land speed records and to attempt even longer runs of wheelies ! Your RATS working for you!

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
Great news to report: The AMRATS are supervising the removal of new speed bump, near Secrets Club on PC. Now, the moto conconcho cowboys can continue their quest to establish world land speed records and to attempt even longer runs of wheelies ! Your RATS working for you!

You have to admit that speed bump was a real pain in the ass. I have to admit that the removal is an even bigger pain in the ass, as they just threw the broken concrete back into the hole. Nevertheless you should be happy about that... I even saw a motoconcho almost killing himself driving over the crack, and he was doing like 10 mph but got his rear wheel stuck.

I am sure you would have gotten a kick out of that one... sadly enough...

So, tell us exactly what you do which rubs those guys the wrong way?