AN EARLY CHRISTMAS GIFT

R

Richard

You seem to forget that there are many reasons not to hire a prostitute. Some of which are the possibility that it may attract other prostitutes to your bar thus gaining a reputation as a whore bar which can easily result in being closed down by the local Comandante depending on his particular feelings. Also losing local business which in the off season is absolutely necessary for a bar to stay in business. In Sosua one individual who runs a large diving operation can dictate where is employees drink and should he become offended and choose to go elseware the bar can lose thousands of pesos in business every month. When one lives on pesos one must consider everything, especially the hiring of staff. Like it or not that is reality. I still maintain that my Christmas gift came early just by seeing a woman who has turned her life around which for a prostitute is admirable and difficult. I am pleased that she now considers me a good friend and of course I feel the same about her.

R

Richard

Re: Hi Richard

Thanks Eddy. As usual you are right. I am of course pleased that you are back at the helm after your illness. Have a great Christmas and a prosperous New Year. When Roberto returns please give him my best and let him know that I hope everything worked out for him.

J

Jim Hinsch

All true.

"I am pleased that she now considers me a good friend and of course I feel the same about her"

Good for you! Those are excellent sentiments.

R

Richard

Thanks Jim. Time to end the thread don't you think, at least on our part? Have a good Christmas and a prosperous New Year Jim.
Richard

J

John

Jim Hinsch is a Sad Angry Man

I agree..Jim needs to get a life..bashing everyone except himself. How convinient..

K

Keith

Re: IN DEFENSE OF JIM

When you've been on posting on this board more than a month, you can worry about it. Jim has contributed more than anyone on this board and he's usually right.

C

CES

Re:. . . GIFT.re jim >(Jim)<

Hey Jim,

We've exchanged words (read- opinions, ideas, philosophies. etc.) in the past and
certainly will in the future. So my spin is this: your style, or lack there of, meaning
tack is IMO, the thing that drives most everyone too near the edge. Your "Rush
Limbaughesk" attack style of engagement leaves little or no room to maneuver, or to
find a middle ground, and that's a ditto for any "Ditto Heads" out there. - - - - DON'T
shoot I'm just kidding. <:)

I know the non Yanks out there have not a clue as too the "Ditto Head", Limbaugh
reference so read the book "Rush Limbaugh is a Big Fat Idiot and Other Observations"
February 1999 by Al Franken

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0440508649/o/qid=977908902/sr=2-2/107-5841905-4526911

Also: "The Great Limbaugh Con : And Other Right-Wing Assaults on Common
Sense"

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1564741028/qid=977908902/sr=1-6/107-5841905-4526911

Regards,

. . . CES

J

Jim Hinsch

"Your style, or lack there of, meaning tack is IMO, the thing that drives most everyone too near the edge"

It bothers some, others love it. I get E-mail and see posts from both sides.

C

CES

Hey Jim,

Now if you could just get the "Ditto Heads", and hell why not every one else, to pay for your online repartee then you too could achieve as the "GRATE ONE" (the grEAT big gravy boat:) has with his radio talk show.

. . . CES

R

Richard

Some people are very insecure, no doubt about it.They get their jollies by always trying to put down others and prove they are a big wheel. We run into those people from kindergarten on. Some of them never grow up.

K

Kozytpm

Re: AN EARLY CHRISTMAS; GOOD STORY RICHARD

Richard
Just read your Christmas story and every post thereafter. To me it seems like a whole lot of yackin about nothing. I liked your little story and am glad you posted it. I'll close with a few of my own observations;

First,I find it highly amusing that a guy defending the integrity of hookers is acussed of acting like Rush Limbaugh. When did the dreaded right-wing conspiracy include defending the rights of putas into its list of priorities?

Second, I agree with your basic common sense Richard, regarding the integrity of putas. I happen to like putas and have spent an enormous amout of time with them over the years. They vary a greta deal in personality, as any group of people do. But trustworthy in general? Now that is a politically correct statement if I ever heard one.

Finally, a word about the relationship between poverty and putas. Yes, everyone knows that life is very very dificult for the average dominican. But that is no justification for becoming a puta. I believe it is only one of numerous factors involved. Afterall, the vast majority of dominican girls, say 99%, never become hookers despite the poverty and lack of opportunity which surrounds them. They find other ways to survive.

For transplanted Gringoes who live in towns like Boca Chica or Sosua, I can see how one might get the wrong impression. These are the whorehouses of the country. They have their own seperate reality which is very different from virtually everywhere else in the D.R. Most of the country is very conservative in many social aspects. Putas are no more respected by the general Dominican population than the are anywhere else in the world, perhaps less. My experience over the years has been that Dominicans definately treat putas with less respect than the gringo tourists. Merry Christmas Kozy

T

Tom

"In an earlier post"

"Finally, a word about the relationship between poverty and putas. Yes, everyone knows that life is very very dificult for the average dominican. But that is no justification for becoming a puta. I believe it is only one of numerous factors involved. Afterall, the vast majority of dominican girls, say 99%, never become hookers despite the poverty and lack of opportunity which surrounds them. They find other ways to survive."

I asked people like Kozyptm to offer one job, pass on one lead, provide one position for a prostitute before making a general statement that she could in fact find other employment. Your word hardly satisfies and economic survey.

One other question: IS a Prostitute worth less than another person in any way?

Tom

K

Kozytpm

Re: "Putas and Poverty"

Tom

I cannot speak for others, but my opinion is putas are worth just as much as any other group of people on the planet.

I have spent alot of time living and working in the campo, far far away from tourists, gringos and towns full of working girls, such as Sosua, Boca Chica, Cabarete and Puerto Plata.
As I guess you probably know, these tourist towns are in fact more well off financially than the vast majority of regular DR towns. Yet prostition is not rampant outside the tourist towns. It is very, very minimal. Every small-medium size DR town has a casa de putas, but they are usually a minor enterprize with only a few girls working. These girls are an accepted part of small town and rural life, but certainly not a respected or admired part of the community.

As to what jobs I can suggest for them, I have no specific answer. Deep in the campo, very few women have jobs outside the home. They marry early and have a full time job raising the kids. In rural areas there are rural jobs and where I come from women work alongside the men in the fields and orchards.Small- medium size town girls have a bigger variety, and if all else fails for any of the above mentioned, they go to the big city(Santiago or la capital), live with their tio or tia and get a job in the free zone or some other large interprise.

Furhtermore, I am sure you are aware of the lack of a social net provided by the DR government. In the DR, the family is the social net. However functional or disfunctional a particular family might be, there is always a place somewhere within the extended family for a teenage member to sleep and eat. They stick together and help each other out in ways the average gringo does not understand. That is how they survive in such a difficult economic environment.

All I am saying is the poverty of the DR is but one of many factors contributing to prostituion in the DR, and certainly not on the top of the list. Best Regards Kozy

C

CES

Re: Well..."Mary from Magdala"

Re: Well,one good thing is...

>>> "In Christmas time, maybe someone recall the profession of Jesus' best friend, Mary from Magdala.

Besides, on the subject of honesty and reliability, what about second-hand car-dealers?" <<<

And in the USA I'm afraid that a good number of first-hand- dealers are also apples gone bad. Reputable automobile salesman, isn't that sort of an oxymoron? In my thirty odd years of purchasing vehicles, I think the score is: four - me, seven - them, if the deal (price) was OK then the service department would try their very damnedest to sour the love - hate relationship.

Now that Gunnar has made mention of "Mary from Magdala" I feel that it's safe for me too jump in with an observation. There are only two kinds of prostitutes: "the good ones and those not so good". Also I think this applies in all the rest of our daily lives; all people - good, not so good, material things - good, not so good, experiences, etc. It's all a matter of prospective, more or less, half empty, half full and the really big one - - - dead and not so dead (I've heard stories of a hereafter, but never having been there, I just can't say one way or the other. ;) Now that we've learned that ladies of the nite and "every day hos" are a reality then we are reminded of this: "judge not, lest ye be judged" or something along those lines. As my years have come and gone, the live and let live "thing" seems too make a lot of sense in the day to day fray of life.

Regards,

. . . CES

G

Gunnar

Re: Well..."Mary from Magdala"

...as there are only two kind of "tricks", the good ones, and the
not so good ones. How come they were left out of the thread?

If anyone feel bad about the existence of rice-producers,
complain about the rice-eaters!

T

Tom

Re: "Putas and Poverty"

Yes Kozy, your opinion is worth the same as everyone else's, perhaps more than mine. I am not going to change the mind of one single person who believes prostitutes are of a "lower class," so why don't we dig a ditch, throw them all in and machine gun them? Don't forget to throw their kids in also, we wouldn't want them wandering the streets and learning evil ways