An Ideal Vehicle for All DR

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I have only owned one diesel, a Volkswagen Rabbit truck and while I loved the mileage it was always filthy under the hood and like all Volkswagens it fell apart before 100K. (Sorry to any VW owners but you could not give me one). I know the small diesels have improved I just worry abut the sludge. I know there are fuel additives and crankcase cleaners to dissolve sludge at oil changes but who has time to be on top of that.
I hope someone who owns one has some tips on maintenance ?

Jan 9, 2004
Hold onto your Venza as that model was discontinued that model a couple years ago. Parts could be scarce here ?

Manufacturers selling in the US, by federal law, must provide enough parts availability to cover the warranty period and any extended warranty, beginning with the final year of a discontinued model.

That having been said, manufacturers have huge profit margins on parts.....and will usually continue to produce them long after any warranty period has run.

They might not be readily available in the DR, but they are only a Fedex away.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Nobody mentioned the Hyundai Tucson. I am quite happy with my 2014 4x4 full model.

Took me everywhere so far. Crossed rivers etc.

Hyundai Tuscon 4wd, 2l looks a really good deal with 100,000km or 5 year warranty here in DR new at under 38k.

Write ups suggests a very safe, good performance, reliable and good modern looking car with good specifications and extras and space. And a nippy 0 to 60 with good horsepower.

Definitely looks good for all DR road conditions.

Under 30k for 2wd versions.

(you can have two new 4wd Tuscons for a new Prado and plenty beer money too)

Last edited:

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Hyundai Tuscon 4wd, 2l looks a really good deal with 100,000km or 5 year warranty here in DR new at under 38k.

Write ups suggests a very safe, good performance, reliable and good modern looking car with good specifications and extras and space. And a nippy 0 to 60 with good horsepower.

Definitely looks good for all DR road conditions.

Under 30k for 2wd versions.

(you can have two new 4wd Tuscons for a new Prado and plenty beer money too)

you cannot go wrong with that ride. the rental boys love Tucsons, because they can take the abuse..

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
you cannot go wrong with that ride. the rental boys love Tucsons, because they can take the abuse..
I also see a fair number of Escapes and CRVs in the rental yards so maybe a used Escape, which is almost 60% the price of a used CRV, is worth a look ? I know the CRVs had a lot of vibration issues too.
Now my German neighbor has a Daihatsu Terrios maybe 8 or 9 years. It has about 180,000 KM on it and he swears all he has done is change oil, air filter and brake pads which I can believe because he's the tightest SOB in DR.
I know nothing about Daihatsu or even if parts are available but I know he only paid about RD $300K for this little SUV.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I also see a fair number of Escapes and CRVs in the rental yards so maybe a used Escape, which is almost 60% the price of a used CRV, is worth a look ? I know the CRVs had a lot of vibration issues too.
Now my German neighbor has a Daihatsu Terrios maybe 8 or 9 years. It has about 180,000 KM on it and he swears all he has done is change oil, air filter and brake pads which I can believe because he's the tightest SOB in DR.
I know nothing about Daihatsu or even if parts are available but I know he only paid about RD $300K for this little SUV.

you cannot kill a Terios. they are indestructible. Daihatsu is a truck manufacturer, first and foremost. the rap on the Terios is that high center of gravity, but they will last forever.

Jan 9, 2004

Body parts maybe. The entire powertrain, floor pan and subframe are all Camry parts.

Sent from my Z833 using Tapatalk

The Venza is essentially a Camry wagon.....but, to your point, body parts are different. Interior parts are mostly different. However, power train is different in the four cylinder and the same on the six. Toyota used a Camry chassis to build the Venza.

Because of its relation to the Camry, a good choice for the DR, albeit a discontinued one.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2 

2dlight

Bronze
Jun 3, 2004
About air bags: man falls asleep at the wheel at high rate of speed in a Sonata, passing by my house, strikes a pickup truck and pushes it ten feet forward into a new Toyota. First car was totaled, truck suffered rear end damage past the wheels and at front end, Toyota had substantial damage but still driveable. Not a single airbag was deployed in any of the three vehicles involved.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
About air bags: man falls asleep at the wheel at high rate of speed in a Sonata, passing by my house, strikes a pickup truck and pushes it ten feet forward into a new Toyota. First car was totaled, truck suffered rear end damage past the wheels and at front end, Toyota had substantial damage but still driveable. Not a single airbag was deployed in any of the three vehicles involved.

there are many cars which have airbags which do not deploy if the ignition is off. so, parked cars will not have a deployment. there are cars which have weight sensors in the passenger seats, and, in the event of a crash, the passenger airbag will not deploy if nobody is there.

as for the offending first car..maybe there was a malfunction in the airbag ststem.

Jan 9, 2004

Perhaps not all the vehicles were equipped with airbags.

Certainly the last car, the Toyota struck in the rear, would not likely have had its air bag sensors triggered if there was no side or front damage.....assuming it had them.

Which brings up the point, many vehicles in the DR may not be equipped with airbags. Still others may have had them removed or disabled for one reason or another.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2 

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
I owned a Mitsubishi Montero in the DR and loved it. Nice size, great suspension and a solid ride to handle all road conditions. Mitsubishi is also very reliable.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I owned a Mitsubishi Montero in the DR and loved it. Nice size, great suspension and a solid ride to handle all road conditions. Mitsubishi is also very reliable.

Dominicans love them. They were more impressed with Mr. AE's old Montero than my much newer Lexus RX350 when they visited NJ. :)

Apr 7, 2014

The Venza is essentially a Camry wagon.....but, to your point, body parts are different. Interior parts are mostly different. However, power train is different in the four cylinder and the same on the six. Toyota used a Camry chassis to build the Venza.

Because of its relation to the Camry, a good choice for the DR, albeit a discontinued one.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2 
The 4 cyl is for the ultimate cheapskate buyer, real Robert McNamara types. The Sienna also is a Camry based vehicle. Cant say I care for any of them.

Sent from my Z833 using Tapatalk