An Incomparable Crime Pool: The Hurricane Hole of Luperón

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

janlindy

Mar 8, 2011
they were there in 2015 and left very bitter. There is truth in there along with there bitterness. Luperon has worked very hard to improve. One bad apple can spoil the whole bunch. They should take responsibility for there own choices. We were in the bay at the same time and remember them.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
they were there in 2015 and left very bitter. There is truth in there along with there bitterness. Luperon has worked very hard to improve. One bad apple can spoil the whole bunch. They should take responsibility for there own choices. We were in the bay at the same time and remember them.
Do you know this person who replied to the post as well?

We are here in Luperón since March. We were burglarized on June 1. Suspects boarded from the water, ransacked everything, broke into our safe, stole $40k in jewelry - which I inherited from my mother and her mother. Irreplaceable. Lesson learned the hard way to never have anything valuable on a boat. My wedding ring, earrings, necklace, bracelet, all precious to me, and valuable. Gone. We have nothing left. Nothing. Except memories of thinking we'd be safe here only to find out we are not.
There was another attempted theft less than 2 weeks ago. They are not yet sharing their story in good the police can make an arrest.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
I lived 7 years in Luperón, 3 of them aboard a boat in the bay. Back in the days, we had just the same comments, and that was more than 20 years ago...

Reactions: caribmike

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
I lived there in 1997, not on a boat though, but the same stories. Seems they pass the biz on from generation to generation. :/

Big

Apr 24, 2019
Why do I get the distinct feeling high levels of alcohol are in this formula

• Haha
Reactions: JD Jones

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I have a friend who does sail boat deliveries from the East Coast of the US to the Grenadines, until recently it was usually twice a year.
We were to meet up in Luperon on one of his passages.

But I got an e-mail from him that the group doing the delivery had decided Luperon was not a safe port for them to anchor and re-provision supplies, so they stopped in Haiti for a couple days then went on to Fajardo, Puerto Rico, by-passing DR completely. Such a shame that a crew of thieves, corrupt port workers and police can deter visitors from sailing in.

Word travels fast among the sailing community. They all e-mail each other and post notes in harbors and talk by radio and chat at parties on each others boats.

If only one has a horror story to tell, like these sailors in Luperon, or elsewhere - it will be spread among other yachters faster than they can unfurl their spinnaker.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Perhaps poster jstarebel has some insight into the realities of this unfortunate set of circumstances?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I have a friend who does sail boat deliveries from the East Coast of the US to the Grenadines, until recently it was usually twice a year.
We were to meet up in Luperon on one of his passages.

But I got an e-mail from him that the group doing the delivery had decided Luperon was not a safe port for them to anchor and re-provision supplies, so they stopped in Haiti for a couple days then went on to Fajardo, Puerto Rico, by-passing DR completely. Such a shame that a crew of thieves, corrupt port workers and police can deter visitors from sailing in.

Word travels fast among the sailing community. They all e-mail each other and post notes in harbors and talk by radio and chat at parties on each others boats.

If only one has a horror story to tell, like these sailors in Luperon, or elsewhere - it will be spread among other yachters faster than they can unfurl their spinnaker.
Yes, it doesn't take long for word to spread through the cruising community.

My wife and I got to Samana on our sailboat in the mid-1980s. Between then and the mid-1990s Samana was popular layover for boats going south to the Caribbean or north, waiting for good weather for the next passage. But then crime picked up in the harbor with men in small boats steeling
what they could, including the dinghys hanging off the stern of the anchored boats. The result was the boats started going to Luperon, then south to Puerto Rico from there, not stopping in Samana unless weather conditions made it absolutely necessary.

Now my home is a condo in Sosua and I am out of touch with Samana, so don't know if the boats are back. Could be they are if Luperon has become as described. Most cruisers want a place to wait for weather when going south, something closer to Puerto Rico than the Turks and Caicos.

Reactions: chico bill

Tradewinds

Oct 7, 2017
It seems the DR has a million laws compared to Haiti but none seem to protect sailors and harbors in general.
The DR has erased itself from sailors charts, such a loss, I used to spend a lot provisioning there.