Anciano gringo 1 - Ladrone muchacho 0

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Hahaha. You are probably good to travel that same route for some time now, the ladron probably passed the word around that that particular gringo anciano ain't having none of it !!

Jokes aside, not a nice situation to be in 🥺.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

HarpB

Aug 31, 2012
Hi,

I am also an avid walker in from Sosua Abajo to town then a couple circuits back usually thru the beach. With the new sidewalks above the beach pretty pleasant. In my case I start the walk by placing a rock in my pocket each time. Never been threatened here but learned the trick in St. Thomas.

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
Glad you're safe. I've been street robbed a few times. They got me before i realised. Nothing much taken.

Now, I walk every morning and evening with my 2 medium large dogs. Early mornings between 5:30 and 6 for at least an hour. I usually take a slightly different route each day. I say hola to almost everyone I pass and give treats to any dog I pass too. I walk Villa Duarte, La Francia, Calero, The Faros, and many of the little back alleys. Sometimes to the Colonial Zone and Barrio Chino. I carry a stick and have a hip pack with a small camera, a little cash if needed and dog treats.

Thank goodness I've never had a problem. Everyone knows my dogs and always say hi to Buenagente. Point is, walk with a dog, say hi to all the neighbors you pass and watch, watch and watch again.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
I wonder if a "hip bag" indicates you have something to give- up to the bad guys? I have never used one of those things (exposed) for that reason.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
If you stand out, he will probably recognize you the next time you'll meet in the street. He might try again if you are walking alone, that time better prepared with the hindsight of what happened the first time.
Standing out, as far as I have seen, is not really recommended here... Good advised on this thread that I have also followed: Don't always use the same route nor the same time... Unrelated a bit but there have been news stories regarding robbed and killed persons who always used to drive the same route the same days/times... I think the same goes for walking for any expat...

Once back in time, shortly before we left the country to go to Europe, I went (by foot, had no car) to close our bank account... I walked half the city (POP) back home with close to 40k pesos in my pocket... Did I have issues? No. I was always aware of my surroundings, made eye contact with no-one, had clothing and shoes that attacked zero attention and chose a busy time in the morning... I have no jewelry or watch or anything in my hands (aside from the wedding ring, which is nothing fancy) and my cellphone was a cheap thing bough locally... My dad used to travel the whole world due to his job, visiting factories in different countries far worse than the DR, and the way of conducting yourself was something I learned from him...

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I was buying a car recently....the seller wanted cash.... $600,000 pesos or so

I said - No - let's go to the bank

I withdrew - gave to him and we drove home....

His problem, not mine
All went well - nevertheless

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
Most gyms in BC just charge 50 pesos/day. Very affordable. I do enjoy seeing people when I walk, but God may not give me a second chance on this one. So yea, I'm going to alter my routes and only go where there are people and sidewalks. I will also use the gym.
In all my years in the gym.... never saw anything bad happen, and if you use one good things will happen to your body and mind...and of course the ever present eye candy..........

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
I was buying a car recently....the seller wanted cash.... $600,000 pesos or so

I said - No - let's go to the bank

I withdrew - gave to him and we drove home....

His problem, not mine
All went well - nevertheless

You did correct... That's odd, all the big transactions we've done here, nobody has wanted cash, always asking for bank details...

Very many years ago, we accompanied my father in law during a real-estate purchase where a bit larger amount than your vehicle purchase had to be transferred from one bank to another... He (we accompanying him) did the exact same... We went to his bank, he took out the money and handed the cash to the seller right there and then... Within the presence of 3-4 security guards and multiple witnesses... The seller was the one who wanted cash... I had never seen that kind of stash of cash in my life, not in any currency... Did not make me really comfortable... Back in my country, you never see cash, everything goes electronically...

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I have heard of Million dollar (US) transactions done in cash..... bags of it !!

My car man took ti home and counted it in front of me... after the bank did it !!

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I'm blingless but the dog is a great idea!
When I walk I walk with my 3 dogs and usually 2 street dogs and
2 neighbors'dogs join in. Most are mid size but my oldest dog is 82 lbs. He's gentle but scares most Dominicans.
My rescue, and a street dog, both females would most definitely jump against an attacker and both have sharp teeth as I have encountered.
Man's (and woman's) best friends are blessings.
For dogless people - you don't know what your missing.

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
Oh, and my pack is a flat pouch on one side where my camera, plastic dog poo bags and some change. The other side is a little pouch where I carry dog treats which is pitrafa (nastymeat) I cook and cut into tiny pieces. So there is nothing good in my pouch. If Ihave cash it's stuck into different nooks and crannies throughout my body. I very rarely carry my phone.

Reactions: johne

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I think they outlawed fanny packs for men a few years ago, if not they should have.
And the mail purse has not caught on here like in Europe, which too is a fashion blessing

• Haha

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I think they outlawed fanny packs for men a few years ago, if not they should have.
And the mail purse has not caught on here like in Europe, which too is a fashion blessing
You havent been in SD lately. Seems like every guy carries either a shoulder bag or some style of backpack