And on Pedro Clisante

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
Do you even really LIVE in the DR ?
Civilized Society ? lol

You think a Big DOMINICAN Guy who is Paid to Handle Himself is going to call the POLICE ? to handle his business ?
Are you joking . Please tell me you are joking . cuz thats actually pretty funny if you are .

I don't think I could imagine this happening in the Colonial Zone of Santo Domingo. Fists maybe, but not taking a baseball bat out. I showed that video to a good friend who manages a nightclub in the capital and she was shocked. She said her doormen had to restrain people and they called the police, but they weren't allowed to hit them.

Big

Apr 24, 2019
I don't think I could imagine this happening in the Colonial Zone of Santo Domingo. Fists maybe, but not taking a baseball bat out. I showed that video to a good friend who manages a nightclub in the capital and she was shocked. She said her doormen had to restrain people and they called the police, but they weren't allowed to hit them.
this we can agree on. Of course, it would not happen in the Zona Colonial. There are already several policer officers on every other corner. Sosua has 40 strip joints that cater to drunk men and countless desperate woman. Every hustler, hooker and pimp are loitering around Sosua. It is, however, well managed chaos thanks to guys like Juan.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
No, It wouldn't happen anywhere in Europe either, but in the DR and apparently in the USA it seems to be common practice.

Reactions: MariaRubia and XQT

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
this we can agree on. Of course, it would not happen in the Zona Colonial. There are already several policer officers on every other corner. Sosua has 40 strip joints that cater to drunk men and countless desperate woman. Every hustler, hooker and pimp are loitering around Sosua. It is, however, well managed chaos thanks to guys like Juan.
Forty strip joints? Where in Sosua?

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Drat! I was going to post the video on Twitter of the big late-night gang fight in the Colonial zone without an officer in sight. I knew I was going to regret not doing it.

Reactions: jd426

aarhus

www.johnboyter.com
Jun 10, 2008
Maybe Sosua doesn’t have Politur.

Big

Apr 24, 2019
FWIW: If you look closely at the dark, grainy, low-res video, it doesn't look like a bat to me...

Rather it looks like a chunk of folded up cardboard, or perhaps a piece of the broken (plastic?) chair, that Tom said got things started.

Nor does it sound like a bat.
I think some believe a bar bouncer should be armed with a feather and a book of quotes from the Dali Lama.

XQT

Dec 7, 2022
Puerto Plata
They are neither strippers nor hookers. They are thieves disguised as sex workers. Take one home and find out.
Of course there are no more strippers in Sosua.
The good days are gone.
Scum and ghetto people, tourists, expat and Dominican the lowest common denominator.
Renewal is a long way coming, like the Cangrejos bridge on the main coastal hyw. no- existent for over a year.
gob.do has no shame.
Once tourism is lost, it will be very hard to get back.
Including real estate development for foreigners.

Why spend big money to be in a dump.
Tourists need an incentive to come.
Ghetto atmosphere and hippos in spandex obviously are a niche market,
But not an expanding tourism market component.
With all the options in the world, why choose this??

The fake moralists railing against prostitution are just that....fake!
Thailand has superior infrastructure, scenery, tourism, some organized prostitution,
Which has taken nothing away from overall tourism development, which is massive.
Attracting Chinese, Arabs, Russians, Japanese, US, EU massive money and investments.

With logic and planing the DR could do the same, as all components exist.
Build infrastructure, transport, roads, medical, have good policing and US, CAN, EU money will flow back in massively.

If food, accommodations and drink are the same price or more than in better locals, why bother.
Sosua worked at at discounted rate, value for money...those days are long gone.
Most people don't long for street fights and ugly hookers on vacation.

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
So well said by XQT again! I have a fellow gringo friend from DR who is currently in Colombia and, based on his accounts, they are far better off than DR. A standard beer is 1 dollar everywhere. Why do we pay 100+ pesos for a pequeña here? They're beating DR on infrastructure, tech and convenience. Mexico is beating DR!

Reactions: NY-DR Commuter

XQT

Dec 7, 2022
Puerto Plata
There was a time, long, long ago......
I have no knowledge of the background operations of Passions in Sosua.

On the surface it was clean, well operated and a fun place to have a beer for those who liked this kind of place.
Seemed somewhat out of the centre and not generating drama.
Well, that's the past.