And on Pedro Clisante

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
According to Danny's latest Whiskey & Rum video, the guy who got worked
over is an American "tourist". This will probably make national headlines in a
day or two. Mr. Collado is not going to be happy.
Probably making one of their IDIOTIC " Undercover playa" U Tube Videos INSIDE the Bar ,, shooting UP Skirt Videos and annoying the Woman to no end .
If thats the case , then he deserves it , and then some ..

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete
According to Danny's latest Whiskey & Rum video, the guy who got worked
over is an American "tourist". This will probably make national headlines in a
day or two. Mr. Collado is not going to be happy.
I have known Juan for 20 years and is a friend of mine. As others have mentioned, you rarely see him like this. However, the man that was involved in this is apparently the son of the owner of Kings bar, where Juan works. He has a tendency to cause problems when he is in the bar, maybe he has the 'this if my dads pace' attitude, not sure. A friend of mine told me that he was in the bar sitting near the front and talking to a friend that works as a waitress and the next thing he knows the waitress pushes his head down whilst a chair sailed over them....the owners son threw a chair out of the bar! I hope that Juan does not lose his job over this, but if he does another place would employ him straight away. In all the years I have known him, apart from during Covid, I have never seen him without a job. If he knows you and you are kind to him, he will always have your back. The amount of times I have seen people bringing him gifts for him and his family just shows the respect he has with people.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I slashed my Sosua and Cab intake by 90% finding it more and more difficult to find a restaurant that was above a C.
Sosua has some of the crappiest restaurants in the tourist world. Cabarete has some better choices.

Reactions: Big

BermudaRum

Bronze
Oct 9, 2007
Sosua has some of the crappiest restaurants in the tourist world. Cabarete has some better choices.
Big said:
I slashed my Sosua and Cab intake by 90% finding it more and more difficult to find a restaurant that was above a C.

IMO , there are several good options for tourist and locals in Sosua to dine at....

Nelson's Lounge Bistro * The best Churrasco that I've found on the NC.
Hispaniola Diners Club
Casa Veintiuno
Steve's
Waterfront
El Rancho
Pirates Bay
Mango Tropical Steakhouse
Margot
H.M.S. Valeria Resturant
Taberna El Conde *Nick has some great specials

I'm sure others could add for Sosua. As far as Cabarete, I would leave that to anyone who has ever enjoyed the food there.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
IMO , there are several good options for tourist and locals in Sosua to dine at....

Nelson's Lounge Bistro * The best Churrasco that I've found on the NC.
Hispaniola Diners Club
Casa Veintiuno
Steve's
Waterfront
El Rancho
Pirates Bay
Mango Tropical Steakhouse
Margot
H.M.S. Valeria Resturant
Taberna El Conde *Nick has some great specials

I'm sure others could add for Sosua. As far as Cabarete, I would leave that to anyone who has ever enjoyed the food there.
I give Margot, El Rancho, Hispaniola and Charli's a 'B'. Decent food.

Taberna El Conde is at best a C- and some nights inedible. It really has deteriorated and I am not the only one with that opinion.

Pirates Bay is OK but service is so slow - count on 2+ hours. You are better going to Puerto Plata - you'll be back quicker.

Waterfront and Nelson's way over priced.

Vientiuno - last time my neighbors went a couple months ago they said it has gone downhill. I have yet to eat there.

jd_mine

Sep 24, 2003
So, I have a question.
I used to go to Sosua about twice a year from 2002-2017.
So I haven't been in about 6 years and from what I see on YouTube Pedro Clisante now looks like some American inner city ghetto.
The tourists that do still come to Sosua, the ones not just looking for drugs or overweight spandex streetwalkers, where do they go to have a drink at night these days?
Or is this just the new reality and there is no alternative?
I mean, I used to go to the beach during the day (something that seems to be extinct soon) and go have a drink at night talking to people I knew or just watching life. It doesn't seem to exist anymore? Is there still any reason to go there for a laidback touristy type?

Oh, and to stay a bit on topic, I knew Juan well and he was always a great guy, very amicable and treated my non street walking girlfriend(s) and later wife with the utmost respect.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
So, I have a question.
So I haven't been in about 6 years and from what I see on YouTube Pedro Clisante now looks like some American inner city ghetto.
The tourists that do still come to Sosua, the ones not just looking for drugs or overweight spandex streetwalkers, where do they go to have a drink at night these days?
I mean, I used to go to the beach during the day (something that seems to be extinct soon) and go have a drink at night talking to people I knew or just watching life. It doesn't seem to exist anymore? Is there still any reason to go there for a laidback touristy type?

Oh, and to stay a bit on topic, I knew Juan well and he was always a great guy, very amicable and treated my non street walking girlfriend(s) and later wife with the utmost respect.
Still a lot of places to go in Sosua, just stay away from Pedro Clisante Street at night after 9:00 pm that's the area that just mentioned where it looks like a ghetto.

JJ

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Still a lot of places to go in Sosua, just stay away from Pedro Clisante Street at night after 9:00 pm that's the area that just mentioned where it looks like a ghetto.

JJ
Yes but Sosua is slowly becoming a ghetto in many parts. It's like a cancer.
Did you notice another Pica Pollo opening up on the East Side of Ferretería Fredy?
Junk Chinese stores and greasy Pica Pollo - yeah really attractive to draw tourists - Not.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016

JJ
The plan to move the fat, tacky street walkers to the East end of PC is going so well - not
If the plan had worked and the Jet Blue crowd were all in Anhvee and the negotiations to drop spandex all occured down at that end, then Sosua would be better off.
But really it is lost - a victim of hookers, Chinese junk shops and endless Pica Pollo greasy plastic spoons serving 'crapola in a Styrofom box'.
Sosua now It has all the charm of a fake Rolex, no actually way less. I'm sorry I chose this dump.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: cavok and bachata

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
So, I have a question.

There is a whole lot more to Sosua than just one few block area on Pedro Clisante.

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
There is a whole lot more to Sosua than just one few block area on Pedro Clisante.
Union, Sosúa Abajo... Yes plenty of ghettos, um... The highway and, oh yeah, the Mulatas and casa Linda! Don't miss it!

Unfortunately the glam and lure of that place is over. If the new super high end joints flop and fail to bring in tourists (and I don't mean over-60 interpol-wanted pervs from Canada or EU) you may as well bring back the putas or bulldoze the whole place.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
But at night those few blocks expand and that's what tourists see.
I could name some bars far from the infamous King's corner that the same tackiness has invaded.
I don't mind the ladies plying their trade if they showed a modicum of class in the way they dressed and sat to enjoy the clubs like normal patrons but that no longer seems to occur.

• Wow
Reactions: windeguy

Big

Apr 24, 2019
But at night those few blocks expand and that's what tourists see.
I could name some bars far from the infamous King's corner that the same tackiness has invaded.
I don't mind the ladies plying their trade if they showed a modicum of class in the way they dressed and sat to enjoy the clubs like normal patrons but that no longer seems to occur.
I guess the big Sosua transformation has fizzled. The huge transformation was a Boca Chica pipe dream.