Animal Flight

Status
Not open for further replies.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I asked BB to reopen this so I could give you guys the quote that they gave me in case someone is looking this up under "search".
The company whose link is in post #2 quoted me $5495. This is for a great dane, from raleigh, NC to Santiago. Not even door to door. With ne taking her to the airport and picking her up at Santiago airport.

So there you have it.

SHALENA

Mathematics would indicate that you should fly the dog in a normal crate before it gets too big... then pair up later.

Much simpler to fly now at 72lbs.... $150 by AA from Miami

Or your DELTA option from Atalnta will be a shorter drive.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
In August, for the Birth Center. We have had a conference call tonight and I think that we will start first in the hospital in order to gain trust. Myself and a Midwife from Canada will be there full-time. We will work in Cabral y Baez like in past May, giving them more time to see how we work, how we labor, help relieve some of the pressure from them (they are overworked!) Then after about 4-6 months, we will let them know that we are starting a Birth Center, at that time they will have worked side by side with us and seen how we work and what we do on a daily basis. In the meantime, going to neighborhoods and campos educating the women and informing them of our plans.
We found out that they do have a room to rest (the OBs) but it is not nearly comfortable or roomy enough for the physicians who are working so with the permission of the Director, we will renovate (or just clean up) their sleep room.
So yes, I will be there in August. Giving up my $70,000+ job to make nothing. Gotta love it!

I know you didn't ask all that but if you know nothing of me, you know I can go on...and on...and on...LOL

SHALENA

Best of luck to you !

Keep us updated ! Not the dog, the birth center, lol :)

TStroman3

Sep 11, 2011
Thanks so much for this very valuable information. I will be arriving in July 2012 with my little baby dogs for a couple of months. This is great info regardless of size.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Thanks so much for this very valuable information. I will be arriving in July 2012 with my little baby dogs for a couple of months. This is great info regardless of size.

There are numerous threads on pet travel. We've all done it once or twuce.

Search it up.

In Canada, WestJet is the best option - $75 r/t, $50 one way.
AA is $150 each trip - either in cargo or under the seat.

Good Luck !

May 5, 2007
If you don't have plans to travel to DR yourself, I'll wager you could still save soem money by offering to pay for someone elses plane ticket and have them take pet as accompanied

On the other hand, for the paltry sum of $25,000.00 I will deliver door to door up to 1600 pounds :)

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Can't I just put on some dark glasses and take her as my seeing eye dog?

SHALENA

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
I understand your dilemma. I had a heck of a time bringing my larger-than-normal labrador retriever and border collie, because of weight. With American Airlines, if a dog and kennel together weigh more than 100 pounds, you have to pay cargo weight instead of the $150 checked baggage animal rate.

I ended up going with Delta Airlines, who lets you pay checked baggage rate so long as the dog fits inside a standard size kennel. The cost was $200, and I drove the dogs 5 hours to Atlanta so they would only have to make one flight instead of changing planes. I was very pleased with the service that Delta provided.

You MIGHT try contacting Agape Flights or another charitable group that provides air cargo for non-profits. They might be willing to work with you. It's a long shot, but if they had space and you are willing to pay, they might work with you.

NOTE: Agape is a Christian missionary organization, so keep the f-bombs to a minimum.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
Can't I just put on some dark glasses and take her as my seeing eye dog?

SHALENA

u can try... I have a friend who is diabetic and his dog travels for free everywhere ( i am still wondering if this dog can give insuline shots????)

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
all kidding aside, and as a doglover myself understanding your predicament, you have one major problem...

your pooch will not fit one of the approved dog-crates, hence the outrageous rates by the regular airlines.

There are some companies specialized in this kind of animal travel, google them. They won't be cheap, but cheaper then the prices you mentioned, and your pet will get all the attention it needs.

And now for the hard part... how old is your great dane?

Maybe you should consider finding him a good home in the states? I know this is hard to do, but sometimes you have to think about the dog and not yourself. We placed one of our favorite dogs with good friends, because we knew, age and temperament considered, it would have been hell for him. We still visit him once a year, and he is doing great, and we get slobbered all over, and yes we made the right decision... for the dog

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
That's what I'm trying to say Peter. Ship the dog to RD now while it still fits and catch up w/ it later when she arrives next year.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
That's what I'm trying to say Peter. Ship the dog to RD now while it still fits and catch up w/ it later when she arrives next year.

Ship it to WHO, may I ask? Everyone I know like dogs, as long as they are at your house and not theirs. She is not an outside dog and she will be put outside 9 times out of 10
This is why I had not answered before, I heard you the first time.

SHALENA

Status
Not open for further replies.