Another accident because of the bad road between Sosua and Cabarete

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Bad road, bad tires, bad driver, overloaded van... take yer pick

Bad roads, so the drivers have to swerve too much when they are speeding. Sometimes they lose control.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
The good news no one was killed and the passengers were all relatively young so with halfway decent medical treatment will survive.
If the money were there the road could be fixed in a week. Grind it, fix underlying problems in the base, oil it and pave it with a paving machine.
The paving done in DR never fixes weak base, never uses enough binder and asphalt is often placed cold and even over wet a base course - all recipes for potholes to return in weeks.

You should submit a work order estimation proposal. Yes, I am being very serious.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Quite literally there were tons of asphalt made available to local Sindicos in Sosua and Cabarete. With that asphalt, the Sindicos paved many of the barrios and, at least in Cabarete, extorted money for "labor" to pave several communities that have mostly residents from out of the DR and some private business locations somehow also got paved. I understand that this previously limitless asphalt supply has now been cut off.

PUERTO PLATA.- Eight people were injured when a minibus loaded with passengers overturned due to the poor state of the road that links the tourist communities of Sosúa and Cabarete, in the eastern part of this Atlantic province.

The road accident occurred on the Coconut Palms-Perla Marina stretch of highway, almost opposite the entrance of the Bombite sector of Cabarete, when one that covers the public transportation route Puerto Plata-Río San Juan, suffered a rollover after one of the front tires blew out.

http://detrasdelrumor.com.do/volcad...ltrecha-carretera-que-une-a-sosua-y-cabarete/

That part of the road has some pot holes, but nothing crazy, People dont know how to drive and no amount of pot hole repair will help there. If that road were smooth as glass there, the cars and busses would go even faster and we would have more head on collisions, But I would still like to see some pothole repair, just be advised the UFOs will be coming at you a little faster

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
PUERTO PLATA.- Eight people were injured when a minibus loaded with passengers overturned due to the poor state of the road that links the tourist communities of Sosúa and Cabarete, in the eastern part of this Atlantic province.

The road accident occurred on the Coconut Palms-Perla Marina stretch of highway, almost opposite the entrance of the Bombite sector of Cabarete, when one that covers the public transportation route Puerto Plata-Río San Juan, suffered a rollover after one of the front tires blew out.

http://detrasdelrumor.com.do/volcad...ltrecha-carretera-que-une-a-sosua-y-cabarete/

The road needs repair but unfortunately many locals pay little attention to the fact that tires are the only thing separating you from the tarmac. How about making your vehicle safer? Most of these clowns won't or can't spend the money. Many drive to fast for the road conditions and wonder why they have a problem.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Tires -- and brakes.... suspension..steering.

A long list
I worry constantly about oncoming traffic's ability to stay on their side of the road.

Besides poor driving skills, the vehicle itself can be hard to manage with weak components

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I thought I read awhile back that the new traffic safety organization announced mandatory vehicle inspections that were supposed to remove these unsafe and dilapidated vehicles from the roads? Funny that there hasn't been a news report of all the families left "carless" due to this legislation.

singletravel

Oct 13, 2003
My maid, who lives in La Ciengna got a call yesterday around noon, she like fell to the floor and crying. Her sobrina dies that morning in the hospital in Santiago, she was in that mini-van. She was 18 and a new baby, sometimes life makes no sense :-(

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
That part of the road has some pot holes, but nothing crazy, People dont know how to drive and no amount of pot hole repair will help there. If that road were smooth as glass there, the cars and busses would go even faster and we would have more head on collisions, But I would still like to see some pothole repair, just be advised the UFOs will be coming at you a little faster

I'll have to disagree on that one. That section of road might not have bad potholes as they are typically defined, but the entire stretch of road in the Coco Palm area has many, many spots of varying sizes where the poorly laid "new" asphalt on top of the the old is not gone creating a patchwork of, say 2" depressions of varying, irregularly shaped areas.

It is EXTREMELY rough to drive over it and cars and trucks alike are constantly swerving over the centerline to avoid these areas. Add to all this that the road curves and and you're going uphill at the same time.

This section has to be beyond a doubt the worst surfaced and most dangerous part of the north coast hwy. It needs to be repaved badly. That will save lives.

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
It's more the drivers than the road....The baseball player wasn't killed by the roads, but excessive speed while it was pouring rain....too many people are trying to pass when unsafe....I drive around 1000km per week on roads all over the country and there are far worse roads with far less accidents on them....so why always here...I slow down for the potholes by Coco Palms, only to be passed by some idiot when traffic is coming the other way...my thoughts not yours......

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Accidents are always the confluence of several factors that come into play at the same time: Poor vehicle maintenance (brakes, tires etc), bad driving habits, road conditions, weather etc. The more you drive the more likely you'll be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Unfortunate circumstances come together in this country more often than some other places so you have to ask yourself, "How important is it to put yourself at risk this time?" No one ever had a grill drill while sitting beside the pool sipping a cocktail or waiting for the delivery guy to bring to you whatever you need/want.

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
Blaming the road is pure BS. Look at where the girl ended up compared to where the vehicle was in the background. Speed kills, not roads......... I despise those death rides to Sabaneta. The drivers doing the Sabineta to Moca run travel slow Since they have a set amount of runs a day. Where at la Bomba in Sosua it is done shotgun per volume. So the faster you go the more round trips you get. With all the talk about tourism on the North Coast maybe some buses can be supported with all the tourist taxes and fees at the airport. But that might make too much sense. All the tourist areas in Mexico have some sort of transport system other than gua guas or price gouging taxis. But I guess the DR is is in a rush to become the first to eliminate paper and coin currency for an all plastic society.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Blaming the road is pure BS. Look at where the girl ended up compared to where the vehicle was in the background. Speed kills, not roads......... I despise those death rides to Sabaneta. The drivers doing the Sabineta to Moca run travel slow Since they have a set amount of runs a day. Where at la Bomba in Sosua it is done shotgun per volume. So the faster you go the more round trips you get. With all the talk about tourism on the North Coast maybe some buses can be supported with all the tourist taxes and fees at the airport. But that might make too much sense. All the tourist areas in Mexico have some sort of transport system other than gua guas or price gouging taxis. But I guess the DR is is in a rush to become the first to eliminate paper and coin currency for an all plastic society.

I believe the reason there is no real bus service is because of the strength of the gua-gua union, which won't allow it.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
This graphic is for motorcycles but can easily apply to crashes driving cars.

Rarely is just one factor involved in a crash. Most often it's a convergence of multiple factors:

2d6d705c-84c5-4dfb-9464-4d3d5f0acbbd_zpsiyvqkldv.jpg

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The condition of the road is definitely a factor in the accidents by Coconut Palms.

I heard that a new bus service, Transporte Espinal, is supposed to be starting service from Cabarete to Santo Domingo. Caribe Tours tried that years ago and the transport mafia threatened to burn them. So let's see how that goes.

Back to the bad roads discussion that really do contribute to the accidents between Cabarete and Sosua.

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
Thing is that if you did fix the road, people will just drive faster thus negating any positive safety improvement. I've always been a fan of the stupid tax. But radar guns for cops, pull people over for driving stupid, and use the proceeds to fix the road. Safety is bound to improve.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Thing is that if you did fix the road, people will just drive faster thus negating any positive safety improvement. I've always been a fan of the stupid tax. But radar guns for cops, pull people over for driving stupid, and use the proceeds to fix the road. Safety is bound to improve.
Or...speed bumps.