Another Chinese restaurant in Sosua!

W

waytogo

Appears to be a translation error......
Sal is salt, salsa is sauce, something is not correct......

C

cavok

I am intrigued by #36 on the menu as it relates to "special salt" Is that Himalayan Pink or Black salt? I have some photos of menu translation errors in three languages from a restaurant in Boca Chica that are good for a few good laughs. Will try and post.

There's a small seating area off to the left of the restaurant which can't be seen from the street. Worth a try.

2z58yu9.jpg

99o0h0.jpg
[/QUOTE]

It's just a translation error. You can see right alongside the Spanish version that says: "Camarones con salsa especial".

T

Timotero

In “real” chinese restaurants I’ve had various types of seafood baked inside a 1-2” crust of “special salt”. After they take it out of the oven, they crack the salt crust and remove the seafood inside. Delicious! And doesn’t taste “salty” at all.

Could that be what the #36 is?

T

tee

I am surprised that there are no pork dishes and only 3 beef dishes, unless there is a page missing from the menu. Chinese are one of the largest consumers of pork per capita so it makes no sense that they do not have any on their menu...would lso be disappointed if they did not have spare ribs.
I can only assume that there is another page. Still, will definitely try this place at some time soon.

T

tee

So I went to the new place in Cabarete. It is in the same spot where Jose O'Shays pizzeria used to be on the main road. As mentioned before, there is a seating area to the left of the buffet section. Seven of us went, 2 kids and 5 adults. We had 12 spring rolls, 10 fried wontons, 2 chicken dishes, 2 beef dishes, 1 shrimp dish, 4 fried rice, 1 plain rice, 2 pica pollo with french fries, 2 juices, 1 coke, 1 soda water and 5 Bohemia Grandes...the bill was 3800 pesos. Food was good, my eldest daughter made the mistake of having the fire chicken...very spicy!! Menu selection was great but I would refrain from having anything from the menu that you can see sitting in the buffet section. My wife chose the sweet and sour chicken and this was definitely not fresh, but all others were. One of the dishes was number 40, beef with vegetables served on a sizzling platter. It was loaded with vegetables and beef including a side of fried rice for 290 pesos, (all main dishes come with a side of plain or fried rice). Spring rolls were delicious, 3 for 100 pesos and also the fried wontons were as delicious, 5 for 100 pesos. Was it as good as the other Chinese restaurant that has been in Cabarete for so many years? I would say it is on a par. There are some dishes that are definitely better at the old restaurant and I prefer the fried rice at the old restaurant, the two beef dishes were excellent as was the shrimp dish. The service was excellent, the Dominican waiter was really good and the Chinese owners, who all spoke fluent Spanish were really friendly. Oh, and one thing, as this might put some people off, there were a lot of mosquitoes and a friend of mine that went there the day before also commented on that, so bring a mosquito repellent. I would go back though, there are several other dishes I would like to try.

C

ctrob

Saturday we tried the new PC chinese restaurant and let's just say the long standing one in Cabarete has not lost our loyalty.
With Seamonkey's tip we asked for the menu and chose our seat. Opposite us a Chinese man scraped blistered paint off the wall with a meat cleaver. I prayed it would not be the cleaver cutting our meat choices.
We ordered from the photo menu, two spring rolls, pork fried rice and a gen tsao's looking chicken dish.
A few minutes passed and a kitchen debate could be overheard. Our waitress went out front and brought the menu back to them where it appeared they were studying the photos to learn the recipe.
We were entertained for our 35 minute wait by a kitchen worker covering the cleaver scraped spots with noxious paint.
When the chicken dish appeared with one fork and a small cocktail napkin, I asked the waitron for a fork for my husband and she said in 15 minutes when his rice is ready. After the rice with the cardboard pork arrived, we were presented with the appetizer spring rolls. The likely jefe appeared asked in chinese how everything was, my esposo asked for duck and soy sauce. He came back with two drops of soy sauce in a tiny child's tea set size dish and squirted one squirt of ketchup on his plate. Sorry Tee but the spring rolls were hot but clearly the frozen variety. You didn't miss anything.

You were much braver than I. I walked in...and walked out.

B

Bob Boyd

Please specify which Chinese restaurant you’re talking about. The new one in Cabarete at the Jose O'Shays location or the new one in Sosua close to Britannia Pub.

C

chico bill

I refuse to eat the slop (and it is) from either of the 3 restaurants claiming to be Chinese. My GF, who is Dominican, wanted some take out so last Saturday we stopped by the one next to the Texaco. She ordered rice with chicken and she got some fries for me (although I didn't ask) all of it to go.
We live close and it was a hot day - but not the fries they were stone cold and soggy - even the dog turned them down.
But get this - my GF threw the rice and chicken in the trash too. Food has to be really bad for Dominicans to throw out rice and chicken.
She told me the one across from the the police station is worse. I guess we need to next confirm the one on PC is just part of the same-same, so sorry.

I'm sad to see this type of 'restaurant' moving in - it's not like Sosua is a gourmet food mecca but these fast food joints serving cold inedible dishes is certainly lowering the standard of cuisine. Anyone care to bet there will be more of the same cookie-cutter "Ptomaine Charlie" joints opening on a street near you?

S

Seamonkey

I refuse to eat the slop (and it is) from either of the 3 restaurants claiming to be Chinese. My GF, who is Dominican, wanted some take out so last Saturday we stopped by the one next to the Texaco. She ordered rice with chicken and she got some fries for me (although I didn't ask) all of it to go.
We live close and it was a hot day - but not the fries they were stone cold and soggy - even the dog turned them down.
But get this - my GF threw the rice and chicken in the trash too. Food has to be really bad for Dominicans to throw out rice and chicken.
She told me the one across from the the police station is worse. I guess we need to next confirm the one on PC is just part of the same-same, so sorry.

I'm sad to see this type of 'restaurant' moving in - it's not like Sosua is a gourmet food mecca but these fast food joints serving cold inedible dishes is certainly lowering the standard of cuisine. Anyone care to bet there will be more of the same cookie-cutter "Ptomaine Charlie" joints opening on a street near you?

Actually that fried chicken is usually really good and I've never heard anybody saying bad things about it. Must of been an off day. I've never had a bad meal at that place. (the one behind the Texaco)

BTW - most street dogs don't eat fries.

C

chico bill

Actually that fried chicken is usually really good and I've never heard anybody saying bad things about it. Must of been an off day. I've never had a bad meal at that place. (the one behind the Texaco)

I have had good fried chicken and it isn't found in KFC or Chinese fast food sitting under a warming lamp.
It is cooked in fresh oil and also dipped is buttermilk before applying the flour and spices.

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk

G

GuillermoRamon

I've never had a bad meal at that place. (the one behind the Texaco)

Agreed, I've never had bad food out of there either, although, I usually stick to the fired rice with a heap of stir fried vegetables and the odd crab claw.

J

jd426

I have had good fried chicken and it isn't found in KFC or Chinese fast food sitting under a warming lamp.
It is cooked in fresh oil and also dipped is buttermilk before applying the flour and spices.

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk

Dipping in Buttermilk does nothing..
It would have to stay in Buttermilk like for hours , or even overnight to truly change the meat of the Chicken on a molecular Level .. which it does, quite amazingly
.. it breaks down the Proteins or something .. I guess similar to AGING beef ? over simplification probably .
that science Cooking guy explains it real well... ..