Another Driver's License Thread

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Everybody is different, but I have no problem at all doing as the law requires without payoffs & 5-fingered shortcuts.

I paid for VIP service for the residencia renewal as it's legally offered. I don't know if the same is legal for the DL.

It's just part of becoming a corpuscle within the Dominican Republic bloodstream.

Besides, my wife---many here know her---would NOT want me cutting corners that sharp, and her trust and my credibility in her eyes is much more important than a little time, effort, hassle & money. But opinions vary.

It's an interesting trip, for sure, and I look forward to more of the journey.

Besides, how could I complain about the gubmint corruption, favoritism and inefficiency if I'm proactively part of it.

One thing I did decide today is I won't be renewing my residencia next year. Since I'm here for better or worse, I'm going to get a spousal citizenship since the US recognizes such as a dual citizenship without penalty. It's pretty much the same paperwork with few minor exceptions (well, I have to re-Apostile everything, and now I know how.) One time, instead of three more renewals before permanent. Sra. La General is starting the process tomorrow.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
You can call up my insurance agent then, bc she has assured me with Universal that is not the case.
Good luck!

The CAR in the DR is covered. But if you hurt someone you are in a HUGE world of hurt.

Search DR1 for some really sad stories.

If not having a license is no big dealio, why do they even exist?

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
You might, just out of curiosity and to verify your agent's story (would an insurance in the DR lie?) just read your policy, especially the fine print.

I suspect that the insurance company is under no legal obligation to pay if you drive illegally. They *might* at their discretion, but I sure wouldn't risk my assets over that hope.

You might, just out of curiosity and to verify your agent's story (would an insurance in the DR lie?) just read your policy, especially the fine print.

I suspect that the insurance company is under no legal obligation to pay if you drive illegally. They *might* at their discretion, but I sure wouldn't risk my assets over that hope.

Well I can't say i trust it 100% but I don't know why she would bother lying about it. That is why I eventually will get my license when I get off my ass to do it. She says she has never had any problems and she is well known in Sosua.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Just by getting it registered at an embassy or whatever?

Yes. Get them to give you a license authentication letter. Then get that authenticated at the Cancilleria and take that to get your driving license. They will take a blood test, give you an eye test and then had you a new shiny Dominican license :)

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Well I can't say i trust it 100% but I don't know why she would bother lying about it. That is why I eventually will get my license when I get off my ass to do it. She says she has never had any problems and she is well known in Sosua.
Try this: call her and tell her you had a wreck and hurt a kid and don't have a legal DR license to see what she says.

I assume you have residency.

In the states & US an insurance salesperson is licensed by the state/province. Not so in the DR. Anyone can be one, no training required.

In the states a constant complaint is how weaselly insurance companies can be in trying to get out of paying claims. Most folks with insurance experiences here will tell you it's much worse.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Yes.

ALL insurance companies.

A valid DR driver's license is REQUIRED by law for a legal resident if you drive here. If you have an accident, you can forget the insurance company paying the claim.

Ok. My insurance company, la compania de seguro, insists I am covered even without a dr licence or residency for that matter....... but I wouldnt bet on it.
Also, my wife has a car insurance with them for 10 years. She claimed twice. Once she was driving ( and they gave her another car while the repairs were done ), wasnt her fault but the other guy had no insurance. But she has NEVER had a driving licence, and the insurance company is fully aware ( they always ask when we renew if she bothered getting one yet :laugh: ).
Another time BIL was driving, hit a cow...... no DL but they paid ( and the PN was involved ).

malko

Jan 12, 2013
Everybody is different, but I have no problem at all doing as the law requires without payoffs & 5-fingered shortcuts.

I paid for VIP service for the residencia renewal as it's legally offered. I don't know if the same is legal for the DL.

It's just part of becoming a corpuscle within the Dominican Republic bloodstream.

Besides, my wife---many here know her---would NOT want me cutting corners that sharp, and her trust and my credibility in her eyes is much more important than a little time, effort, hassle & money. But opinions vary.

It's an interesting trip, for sure, and I look forward to more of the journey.

Besides, how could I complain about the gubmint corruption, favoritism and inefficiency if I'm proactively part of it.

One thing I did decide today is I won't be renewing my residencia next year. Since I'm here for better or worse, I'm going to get a spousal citizenship since the US recognizes such as a dual citizenship without penalty. It's pretty much the same paperwork with few minor exceptions (well, I have to re-Apostile everything, and now I know how.) One time, instead of three more renewals before permanent. Sra. La General is starting the process tomorrow.

I was told at Migracion ( santiago then SD ) that I would only need to renew my residencia once before applying for citizenship....... but they didnt say if the paper work I have done was particular to me been married to a dominican citizen.
We will see, hopefuly when I finally get temporary residence. Fingers crossed.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I was told at Migracion ( santiago then SD ) that I would only need to renew my residencia once before applying for citizenship....... but they didnt say if the paper work I have done was particular to me been married to a dominican citizen.
We will see, hopefully when I finally get temporary residence. Fingers crossed.
My lawyer has helped many DR1ers. She's tops.

Yes, one renewal after marriage to a Dominican citizen to be eligible for spousal citizenship.

The paperwork is almost the same (not 100% sure) but has to be all original. There is some sort of civics interview in Spanish to finish the process, so I'll wear a PLD button and a purple tie.

When see GOML* political posters in 2016, you know I made it and will sell my vote to the highest bidder. Minister of Motorcycles & Wings has a nice ring to it. You listening Javier? Leonel? ;)

*Get Off My Lawn

malko

Jan 12, 2013
My lawyer has helped many DR1ers. She's tops.

Yes, one renewal after marriage to a Dominican citizen to be eligible for spousal citizenship.

The paperwork is almost the same (not 100% sure) but has to be all original. There is some sort of civics interview in Spanish to finish the process, so I'll wear a PLD button and a purple tie.

When see GOML* political posters in 2016, you know I made it and will sell my vote to the highest bidder. Minister of Motorcycles & Wings has a nice ring to it. You listening Javier? Leonel? ;)

*Get Off My Lawn

No lawyer for us, just dropped off the papers in Sd, after office in santiago checked everything ( and in the end I had a couple of docs, apostillated, signed by a notary blabla..... that I didnt need ).
Lets see if it comes through....... ( supposedly the 27 th of this month.....).

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
That's because driver's licenses are issued by a state and not the federal gubmint. Embassy has no jurisdiction or official access to the database.

Canadian drivers licenses are issued by provinces and territories. I'm sure if the Feds wanted access they could have it. I'm surprised they don't do it; it would be another service they could make money off.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Thats not the way the US works , Bob..... Federal intervention at the state level is a taboo , of sorts

A state has autonomy, unlike Canada where they feed the Federal gov't

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Thats not the way the US works , Bob..... Federal intervention at the state level is a taboo , of sorts

A state has autonomy, unlike Canada where they feed the Federal gov't

I've seen nothing but federal intervention into states rights in the news for the past few years. Even though you are Canadian William I think you mis-understand the federation of Canada. Of course that's all for a different thread. Did you get your Driver's license in Santiago?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Just by getting it registered at an embassy or whatever?

The embassy would generate a document that certifies you have a valid license. Then you take that to the Dominican motor vehicle licensing office to get your Dominican license. I expect you would still need to pass the vision test and pay the fee but no verbal or driving tests would be necessary.

As for those who do not wish to take advantage of the short cuts allowed by the "system" when you are an American, that is fine for you. Make it hard on your self, I don't mind at all. I will do what is to my best advantage. After all, I had an illegal license for many years until just recently did I get my legal one very simply in Puerto Plata. The office in Puerto Plata is one of the best government offices for customer service on the island. Very nice, very helpful people. Far better than the dull norms that populate most motor vehicle offices in the USA.

jinty05

Bronze
Feb 11, 2005
This is most certainly false.....Colonial will pay out irrespective of whether you have a DR License or not. Prior to getting my DR License I had 3 claims with Colonial and all were settled within days.

Yes.

ALL insurance companies.

A valid DR driver's license is REQUIRED by law for a legal resident if you drive here. If you have an accident, you can forget the insurance company paying the claim.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
This is most certainly false.....Colonial will pay out irrespective of whether you have a DR License or not. Prior to getting my DR License I had 3 claims with Colonial and all were settled within days.

While they did pay, they are under no obligation to pay. You have been fortunate.

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
That's what I love about this place. You can paper clip a 2000 peso bill to an old ice cream wrapper and it will be accepted as official gospel.