Another expat murder

Gadfly

Jul 7, 2016
Threw him down a ravine where he was found without eyes. Sounds like birds did this. Article didn’t say how or use words like gouged out.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
When living in a developing country full of criminals that shares a border with a country like Haiti... you know the risk and if you move the right way with enough street smarts (like how to read people and situations) you are unlikely to end up being seriously injured or killed by someone while visiting/ living down here.

By comparision this country is a heck of a lot safer than the USA and I'll take living here in Santiago over dying in Orleans Parrish, New Orleans (my last US address) any day of the week.

RIP fella.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Still not as dangerous as the corrupt U.S. They lock 'em up then release them with no bail. violent crime is skyrocketing coast to coast
You’re not an active poster, so I’m going to give you the benefit of the doubt about USA politics posts. They are not permitted, and carry a 2 week ban from posting. Consider this a warning.

Back on topic please

• Wow
Reactions: CristoRey

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
I was sad to read the story and I do think it influences some people's decision to move here.

I've been here since I was 22 and I have always been extremely careful living in the capital. I don't do too much walking on the street but I do frequent the same places. When people ask me if it is safe, I usually tell them unless you're involved with illicit activity MOST of the time the worse you're subjected to is petty crime. Like many others, I find it safer here than in the states. I don't feel the anxiety at malls or public events as I do when I am at home.

Aside from the audacity to rob an 80-year-old, reading that his eyes were gouged out is insane and very violent. They must've been extremely ruthless criminals to do so.
yes that's kind of nuts . maybe a crime of passion ...

Britboy

Oct 30, 2021
Samana
They know the day your money drops in the bank it coincides with a the prior few days of people being nice and telling you about there money concerns and on the day ( 1st of Month ) a constant stream of children around with hands out or stalking the Colmado. They don't miss a trick

JD Jones

Moderator - Covid 19 in DR & North Coast
Jan 7, 2016
They know the day your money drops in the bank it coincides with a the prior few days of people being nice and telling you about there money concerns and on the day ( 1st of Month ) a constant stream of children around with hands out or stalking the Colmado. They don't miss a trick

You finally made it home, right?

Britboy

Oct 30, 2021
Samana
You finally made it home, right?
Yes... Bus from El Limon to Santo Domingo. 500peso
Motoconcho to Consulate 220 pesos Uber to Airport 1400 pesos including tip. Spent the night in Starbucks and flew to London via Madrid with iIberia.
Had been here 2years 10 days due to to COVID. Caused confusion at immigration with new emergency passport with no entry stamp. Never paid overstay fee. Will fix that up with Dominican Embassy here in London.

H