Another Expat Murder

DR fan1990

Sep 22, 2020
Canada
In Las Terrenas.

So imagine you decide to relocate to the DR for retirement after a long life of hard work, sacrifices, and sweat and tears.... only to have dimwits who know nothing about your past efforts and history to just come and take your life like it meant nothing.

Are you guys rethinking your decision to permanently relocate to the DR due to these expat murders? It's turning into Mexico at this rate.

Northern Coast Diver

Private Scuba Guide
Feb 23, 2020
Sosua
In Las Terrenas.

So imagine you decide to relocate to the DR for retirement after a long life of hard work, sacrifices, and sweat and tears.... only to have dimwits who know nothing about your past efforts and history to just come and take your life like it meant nothing.

Are you guys rethinking your decision to permanently relocate to the DR due to these expat murders? It's turning into Mexico at this rate.
No I'm not! Have you checked the murder rate in NYC?

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
First RIP senor... he let his guard down folks knew when his pension money was arriving .. you cant give up that information but being the fact he was 80 I understand poor guy..On the other hand these type of murders happen all over the world..How about the lady who frozen her own mom to keep collecting her pension checks ..

DR fan1990

Sep 22, 2020
Canada
No I'm not! Have you checked the murder rate in NYC?
Pretty sure 90% of those murders in NYC are gang-related.
If you're not engaging in sketchy or illegal activity I think you'll be safe in NYC.

But these expats are always innocent. They're not flying into the DR to do risky business. They just wanna relax and enjoy their retirement.
There is the difference.

I mean does your neighbor or spouse kill you over money in the US at the same rate they kill innocent expats in the DR?

Reactions: thompstr and Big

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
I mean does your neighbor or spouse kill you over money in the US at the same rate they kill innocent expats in the DR?
yes.And BTW your comparison to Mexico is flawed I believe. You mixed gang violence in Mexico to a random killing in LT. Not spending such a beautiful Sunday discussing. Carry on. Have a great day.:)

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
RIP Señor

I was given some advice when I first moved here.
I was told by a Dominican:
Look at how rich Dominicans handle their security affairs. Then follow their lead.
You don't have to say anything to anybody for them to know you got money.
You are being watched very closely.
They know you are living here and are not going to work.
There is an assumption that you dun spen yo life stackin yo flow and yo spending dem duckets now.
No secrets...

Killed by your wife or girlfriend?
Why you letting someone into your life where they can get that close who has the financial incentive to take you out?
Has anyone looked at the rate females are killed here?

When I first arrived in the Dominican Republic I lived on Avenida España. I read a news story that someone was walking along Avenida España and was robbed but the person had no money. So the robber shot the man in his leg for spite. I decided to always carry enough money and a throw down cell phone where could toss it and move in the opposite direction.
My first building had a 8 foot wall around three buildings. 24 hour security. Access to each building was locked. Jail bars on the front door of my apartment. I was safe in my apartment. But the minute I walked out. It was on ‼️

That being said, I feel safer in the Dominican Republic than I do in my country of origin.
Especially during encounters with the controlling legal authorities.
I built my security bubble.
I keep my head on a swivel and stay on yellow alert. I goto red alert when needed.

Crime is a problem for everyone here in the Dominican Republic. It is consistently on the minds of Dominicans every election cycle I have lived here. But I do not live in fear. I am more concerned that I am going to get ripped off by a workman I hire than strong armed robbed in the street.
Are you guys rethinking your decision to permanently relocate to the DR due to these expat murders?
I am not‼️
But don't move here if you can't go hard in the paint while taking the rock 🏀 to the hole 🕳️ while taking a little (or a lot) of contact 💥 and still finish strong. Word.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Another sad story. I doubt it's a problem caused by the DR or Dominicans. We need to look at our neighbour. I bet this latest murder was perpetrated by Haitians. To so many Haitians, life is cheap. Haiti has descended into a lawless anarchy and the capital is overrun by gangs driven by narcos.

My opinion is that if you give a Dominican an opportunity to steal if they think they will get away with, then many won't think twice about taking it. However, killing is another matter. You very rarely hear about Dominicans killing people to rob them, compared to Haitians.

Many Haitians are so desperate that even if they get caught, they won't go hungry in jail. The whole World needs to step up to the plate and start thinking of a solution to help Haiti get back on its feet.

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008
Look at how rich Dominicans handle their security affairs. Then follow their lead.

this is very good advise. You can live in a gated community as well and many americans do. Dominicans are very nervous about their security but carry on with normal activities. They maybe dont go out at night so much night especially driving

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
If you're not engaging in sketchy or illegal activity I think you'll be safe in NYC.

But these expats are always innocent. They're not flying into the DR to do risky business. They just wanna relax and enjoy their retirement.
There is the difference.

Or be standing waiting for a train, or walking down the street minding your own business....etc. This old guy was true trusting, and didn't know that evil lived so close to him. I am pretty guarded and don't flash money around...etc but my wife still says I am not careful enough. Most Dominicans are not violent or going to rob you but there are enough drug addicts and criminals around that you have to be careful and be aware that you are watched by evil eyes.

DR fan1990

Sep 22, 2020
Canada
RIP Señor

They know you are living here and are not going to work.
There is an assumption that you dun spen yo life stackin yo flow and yo spending dem duckets now.
No secrets...

Killed by your wife or girlfriend?
Why you letting someone into your life where they can get that close who has the financial incentive to take you out?
Has anyone looked at the rate females are killed here?

When I first arrived in the Dominican Republic I lived on Avenida España. I read a news story that someone was walking along Avenida España and was robbed but the person had no money. So the robber shot the man in his leg for spite. I decided to always carry enough money and a throw down cell phone where could toss it and move in the opposite direction.
My first building had a 8 foot wall around three buildings. 24 hour security. Access to each building was locked. Jail bars on the front door of my apartment. I was safe in my apartment. But the minute I walked out. It was on ‼️

That being said, I feel safer in the Dominican Republic than I do in my country of origin.
Especially during encounters with the controlling legal authorities.
I built my security bubble.
I keep my head on a swivel and stay on yellow alert. I goto red alert when needed.

Crime is a problem for everyone here in the Dominican Republic. It is consistently on the minds of Dominicans every election cycle I have lived here. But I do not live in fear. I am more concerned that I am going to get ripped off by a workman I hire than strong armed robbed in the street.

I am not‼️
But don't move here if you can't go hard in the paint while taking the rock 🏀 to the hole 🕳️ while taking a little (or a lot) of contact 💥 and still finish strong. Word.

And what if the workman you hired sets you up to be robbed by armed dudes in your own home? Then they share among themselves whatever they have robbed from you.

Its always someone that knows you closely.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
Nothing but petty theft for me here. I've had 2 phones taken, $50, and a backpack I don't know if I feel safer here but I'm getting to know the places you can and can't go. I'm sure I have a lot to learn though. I think it's safer here than many big US cities where I would never want to go. The burbs of course are totally different. In the burbs, you never give a thought to safety.

Reactions: AlaPlaya

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
In Las Terrenas.

There are more expats than ever. It goes without saying that these types of crimes will also happen more frequently, which is great for the newspaper/news businesses. That doesn't necessarily mean that the risk of being a victim of this crime also increases. It can be the same risk or even lower, but since the expat population is greater and along with that these types of crimes, it may give the impression that the risk increases too because it appears more often in the news.

Some may not want the following known, but the vast majority of expats either die in the DR or are back in their home countries and die there for reasons that have nothing to do with crime.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
not to be overly morbid on the topic of death but it is something we should all plan for ….dying here, to be precise

only one crematorium…..Blandini.

autopsy for non citizens….. and they bury them fast here….refrigeration shortages

Reactions: Gadfly

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
And what if the workman you hired sets you up to be robbed by armed dudes in your own home? Then they share among themselves whatever they have robbed from you.

Its always someone that knows you closely.
Anything is possible.
But if that ever happened to me they better not get close enough to me with the gun because I am going to do a gun takeaway.
Just like I have had to do on the streets of my country of origin while working.

I did not move here without the ability go hard in the paint while taking the rock 🏀 to the hole 🕳️ while taking a little (or a lot) of contact 💥 and still finish strong.

But after many years of living here it has not happened yet.
And I doubt if it will happen at this point because my workman come with recommendations from a good friend of mine who has a company that specializes in making referrals for workman who do quality work.
Because my first inverter install that I had performed cost me 10,000 in a used and reworked inverter and the same with the batteries. Poor performance.
Guess what I did next time.

When I saw my neighbors (who were Dominican) getting an inverter installed, I called out to the tech doing the work and asked him to come take a look at my system. He checked it out and explained how the other tech had ripped me off (10,000 DOP without a gun or armed accomplices). The tech explained the type of inverter I needed to buy and the batteries. He explained that when I had made those purchases to then contact him and he would return to install them. And he gave me a price.
Lesson learned.
Are you guys rethinking your decision to permanently relocate to the DR due to these expat murders?
I am not‼️

I don't run scared of my own shadow as some do.
Boots on the ground beats reading stories from another continent any day of the week, month, year.
I live and I learn and do not worry about what might happen while I live a life in the Dominican Republic many would love to have.

But if it is not for you, don't move here.
Find a place that is safe and makes you happy Bro.
If you like it, I love it.
No matter where it is.

Mike drop ‼️ 💥 And I exit stage right...

irishpaddy

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013

There is the difference.

obviously you havent been in NYC for a bit ......it is more dangerous than ever ...and dont think innocent people are not getting caught up in it