Another Expat Murder

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
I don't pay attention to shock and awe news content. If I were concerned after all these years it wouldn't be via the barrio chisme chain, it would be based on rates. That said, there are certain towns and cities prone to higher homicide rates. Also, i lived in a series of small towns where the bad news seems disproportionately greater. Yesterday, a brother of my neighbor decided to end it and drank some barrical. They couldn't even close the casket. Dramatic right? The day before a young girl was stabbed in the park. Small Town stuff seems like bad place, but is it? If you heard all the crap that happens in Cabarete, you would never move there. My concho's neighbor was on a cocaine all nighter came home at dawn and demolished his very young wife's skull, left her face down on the floor dead, went back out and kept partying. These stories can keep folks away, but once again, what are the per capita instances?

Big

Apr 24, 2019
I don't pay attention to shock and awe news content. If I were concerned after all these years it wouldn't be via the barrio chisme chain, it would be based on rates. That said, there are certain towns and cities prone to higher homicide rates. Also, i lived in a series of small towns where the bad news seems disproportionately greater. Yesterday, a brother of my neighbor decided to end it and drank some barrical. They couldn't even close the casket. Dramatic right? The day before a young girl was stabbed in the park. Small Town stuff seems like bad place, but is it? If you heard all the crap that happens in Cabarete, you would never move there. My concho's neighbor was on a cocaine all nighter came home at dawn and demolished his very young wife's skull, left her face down on the floor dead, went back out and kept partying. These stories can keep folks away, but once again, what are the per capita instances?
Sir, you have a way with words see.

Big

Apr 24, 2019
Barrical is a pesticide for comején. It has a horribly distinct odor and is highly dangerous. In the campos you can find it at varying levels of concentration. Not commercially sold?

My college gf told me to turn around and take tres pasos out the door!
Dam!! You definitely have some knowledge. I don't know what is worse, me knowing what it is or understanding someone when they use "Willie Pete" in a sentence. Both super bad chemicals

• Haha
Reactions: El Hijo de Manolo

Apr 10, 2012
Las Terrenas
In Las Terrenas.

So imagine you decide to relocate to the DR for retirement after a long life of hard work, sacrifices, and sweat and tears.... only to have dimwits who know nothing about your past efforts and history to just come and take your life like it meant nothing.

Are you guys rethinking your decision to permanently relocate to the DR due to these expat murders? It's turning into Mexico at this rate.

OMG

"was found without eyes"

What type of monster would remove the eyes of anyone?

Reactions: AlaPlaya

El Hijo de Manolo

Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
Dam!! You definitely have some knowledge. I don't know what is worse, me knowing what it is or understanding someone when they use "Willie Pete" in a sentence. Both super bad chemicals
I have no idea what Willie Pete is but now i want to say it. I'll lay it on the maid when she get in tomorrow!

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
I know, poor grammar and layman content. That's what UncleW2 would say. I only went to state school 😔
Don’t sell your communication skills short. Your posts, like many, are informative and entertaining. Your sense of humour regarding certain things is refreshing and your insights are always on the mark. Keep them coming. Half the fun of this forum is interpreting posters cryptic comments. I miss some of the old posters. They helped me a lot when I was a DR newbie 20 years ago.

Regarding the crime rate in the DR, I’ve travelled the North Coast freely for years and stayed in many places. I see no reason to stop doing that. I relax my guard when I’m staying with friends in the campo and raise my alert level when I’m in the tourist trap towns and cities. So far so good.

El Hijo de Manolo

Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
Don’t sell your communication skills short. Your posts, like many, are informative and entertaining. Your sense of humour regarding certain things is refreshing and your insights are always on the mark. Keep them coming. Half the fun of this forum is interpreting posters cryptic comments. I miss some of the old posters. They helped me a lot when I was a DR newbie 20 years ago.

Regarding the crime rate in the DR, I’ve travelled the North Coast freely for years and stayed in many places. I see no reason to stop doing that. I relax my guard when I’m staying with friends in the campo and raise my alert level when I’m in the tourist trap towns and cities. So far so good.
We were robbed at 2am at our place in Las Galeras. It was an eye opener. We have since left. I think you just need to have your wits about you, where you chose to live, what sort of support/resource infrastructure you have access to, what folks you chose to have in your home, etc. The bachelor nomad can take risks certain others cannot. On the other hand, even when your as cautious as possible, you never know when your gardeners or housekeepers may team up to craft your end. As in the case of a couple here some years ago. You never really know someone.

Reactions: Auryn

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
RIP Señor

I was given some advice when I first moved here.
I was told by a Dominican:
Look at how rich Dominicans handle their security affairs. Then follow their lead.
You don't have to say anything to anybody for them to know you got money.
You are being watched very closely.
They know you are living here and are not going to work.
There is an assumption that you dun spen yo life stackin yo flow and yo spending dem duckets now.
No secrets...

Killed by your wife or girlfriend?
Why you letting someone into your life where they can get that close who has the financial incentive to take you out?
Has anyone looked at the rate females are killed here?

When I first arrived in the Dominican Republic I lived on Avenida España. I read a news story that someone was walking along Avenida España and was robbed but the person had no money. So the robber shot the man in his leg for spite. I decided to always carry enough money and a throw down cell phone where could toss it and move in the opposite direction.
My first building had a 8 foot wall around three buildings. 24 hour security. Access to each building was locked. Jail bars on the front door of my apartment. I was safe in my apartment. But the minute I walked out. It was on ‼️

That being said, I feel safer in the Dominican Republic than I do in my country of origin.
Especially during encounters with the controlling legal authorities.
I built my security bubble.
I keep my head on a swivel and stay on yellow alert. I goto red alert when needed.

Crime is a problem for everyone here in the Dominican Republic. It is consistently on the minds of Dominicans every election cycle I have lived here. But I do not live in fear. I am more concerned that I am going to get ripped off by a workman I hire than strong armed robbed in the street.

I am not‼️
But don't move here if you can't go hard in the paint while taking the rock 🏀 to the hole 🕳️ while taking a little (or a lot) of contact 💥 and still finish strong. Word.
what section do you live?

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
We were robbed at 2am at our place in Las Galeras. It was an eye opener. We have since left. I think you just need to have your wits about you, where you chose to live, what sort of support/resource infrastructure you have access to, what folks you chose to have in your home, etc. The bachelor nomad can take risks certain others cannot. On the other hand, even when your as cautious as possible, you never know when your gardeners or housekeepers may team up to craft your end. As in the case of a couple here some years ago. You never really know someone.
your right you never know here or in the states .. I try not to keep a set pattern ... I feel safe here and that scares me...

chicagoan14

Apr 2, 2019
I was sad to read the story and I do think it influences some people's decision to move here.

I've been here since I was 22 and I have always been extremely careful living in the capital. I don't do too much walking on the street but I do frequent the same places. When people ask me if it is safe, I usually tell them unless you're involved with illicit activity MOST of the time the worse you're subjected to is petty crime. Like many others, I find it safer here than in the states. I don't feel the anxiety at malls or public events as I do when I am at home.

Aside from the audacity to rob an 80-year-old, reading that his eyes were gouged out is insane and very violent. They must've been extremely ruthless criminals to do so.