Another Fabulous Trip

Snowbird

Jan 17, 2002
My wife and I just returned to the land of snow and ice on Feb. 14th. We spent 3 glorious weeks at Fun Tropicale in Playa Dorada. As always, our trip was fantastic. The Dominican people are such wonderful individuals. Their loving, caring attitude makes the trip so worthwhile.

I had two unique experiences on this trip. I had a chance to visit a school in Puerto Plata. What a fun few minutes. We had brought a large tote of basic supplies to be distributed to the local students. A guide at our hotel, Steady Eddie, made arrangements for us to visit a school that was in session. It was very moving to see the excitement in the eyes of the students and staff when they saw what we had brought to give to them. These kids deserve so much more than the country is able to provide. Any of you readers that are headed to the DR, please fill extra suitcases with school supplies that will be given to the students. There are quite a few ways and means to get them to those who need them. I will post information later about an organization that has been set up specifically for the Puerto Plata region. I will probably post the info in the General section.

My second moving experience was that I had a chance to help coach a local youth baseball group. I can't just say a team because there were about 80 young boys from 6-20, that were in this group. As you can imagine, the baseball skills of the young Dominican players are quite good. They, like all other young players, still need to be coached in order to improve. The neat thing was that these players, regardless of the language differences, were verrrry coachable. On my second to last day in the DR, this particular team won their local divisional championship. It was great to see the excitement, and pride on their faces. All the players came over to me as they were leaving, extended a hand, and said muchas gracias. That was so cool.

For the sake of brevity I will keep this short. I can only repeat what the title says...Another Fabulous Trip. We have been visiting for 7 years now, and plan to visit every year we are able.

If you plan to visit, bring school supplies for the kids, and make it a point to get out of your hotel and interact with the locals. You will enjoy your trip so much more.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Great report, Snowbird. I hope that all who plan to visit will read it and look for ways to get involved in the life of the DR.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
cobra90x said:
im looking to rent a car do you know how much gasoline a gallon is

Cobra, you should start a new thread with your question. As a new poster, you are probably not aware that asking questions unrelated to the post that started the thread is frowned on as highjacking the thread.

landscapenRI

Feb 10, 2004
leaving this sat for dr!

hello snow bird,

My wife and I, and our 2 girls ages 7 & 11 will be leaving for the dr on Saturday.

We are also bringing a ton of school supplies and stuff for the children in the schools. Could you tell us more about your expierence as we are wishing to do some thing similar.

Thanks
a bunch

Chris & Pam

from freezing Rhode Island!

Miko

May 23, 2003
you can get in touch

landscapenRI said:
hello snow bird,

My wife and I, and our 2 girls ages 7 & 11 will be leaving for the dr on Saturday.

We are also bringing a ton of school supplies and stuff for the children in the schools. Could you tell us more about your expierence as we are wishing to do some thing similar.

Thanks
a bunch

Chris & Pam

from freezing Rhode Island!
With Trishia from the Dream Project Org. She is currently in Cabarete right now at Bahia de Arena. Just sen her an email. There is another thread here on it. :cool:

Snowbird

Jan 17, 2002
Fundacion Patria=Do the Right Thing for Kids

As I promised above, I have posted school information in the General area. The title is Do the Right Thing for Kids. Please read and take part in an extremely worthwhile project.

Thanks.